Most Indiana Triple Crowns?

navy80

I never once recall MD working Greco into any of our practices when I was there under Goebel and Helfrich.  That seemed to work out well.  Don't know what Schaeffer is showing in the room, but I'd be surprised if Greco is in the mix.

I'm of the opinion that you should master a handful of techniques rather than be avg at hundreds of them.

5 hours ago, Kyle Ayersman said:

Looking at a team aspect if we show throws we’ll have kids going out there trying to throw and end up getting pinned. To me, it doesn’t seem beneficial to try to learn a throw instead of perfecting a single leg. Perfecting your folkstyle technique will help you more at the college level than rolling with throws.

Teaches confidence. I'd take that athlete working and doing stuff over the traditional wrestler any day.. personally I love growing and building those athletes and not the traditional wrestler :) throws, counter attacks, shots from ALL areas and pins from everywhere. I LOVE throws from when guys shoot high crotches or single legs. 

3 hours ago, Coach Seymour said:

This is the most Greco action Indiana has seen in a long time.

You should check out the Illinois mat page IT'S CRAZY!!! And they are ruthless on all kids and parents. We are much more laid back over on these parts. 

4 hours ago, Cosgrove said:

You should check out the Illinois mat page IT'S CRAZY!!! And they are ruthless on all kids and parents. We are much more laid back over on these parts. 

No.... someone is way to sensitive over here in these parts to let that happen. Zip it ?

Pistol loves Greco, in Greco you just go for it, take it, grab that bull by the horns or your going to be a victim of flying the friendly skies for 5. 

Woooooo .... Bang ! Bang ! Bang ! 

Pistol Pete 

Thank You for Flying United Greco Airlines of 5 

Edited by 3xStateChamp

A few years ago, one of our kids said that he hated Greco. We signed him up for state anyway. Ended up getting second and earning a spot on the blue team for schoolboy duals and went something like 7-1 in Greco. Dude is a leg attack monster, but when he wants to, he will toss ya! 

Btw... loved watching the championship mat at iswa state. It was laid back and lots of fun! 

57 minutes ago, regionrat1 said:

Lots of kids have a fear of getting thrown. I personally think any style of grappling can be beneficial. Sambo,judo, submission grappling etc - you can learn and add to your portfolio. If you are down by 4-5 you can’t single leg your way back  in 30 seconds - got to learn to go big ! 

Agreed... Once I learned BJJ, my wrestling really improved.

On 5/10/2018 at 1:06 AM, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

The County sucks. 

Yea..... They Suck at wrestling. 

Woooo..... Bang ! .... Has only had (9) Individual State Championships since 2011-2018 

2x Neal Molloy (Danville) 

2x Brock Hudkins (Danville) 

2x Asa Garcia (Avon) 

3x Brayton Lee (Brownsburg) 

Pistol Pete 

P.S. Pistol lost count on how many State Placers The County has .

My Fault.... My Fault ! Wooooo......

22 minutes ago, Kyle Ayersman said:

Not only myself, but our team this year was extremely successful, and like I said we didn’t work any Greco. We worked maybe 10 minutes on how to counter throws. Most are very simple to stop.

That didn't really answer my question. Is drilling 9,500 single legs vs. 10,000 single legs a big difference compared to exposing some kids to new techniques that may benefit their style/ body type? I mean, if they don't like it, they don't have to use it, but they can't use it if it's not taught.

5 minutes ago, greco165 said:

That didn't really answer my question. Is drilling 9,500 single legs vs. 10,000 single legs a big difference compared to exposing some kids to new techniques that may benefit their style/ body type? I mean, if they don't like it, they don't have to use it, but they can't use it if it's not taught.

I answered your question to the best of my ability, I stated our team had no knowledge of Greco and we turned out okay. 500 takedowns is quite a bit. We most likely won’t teach Greco, if a kid wants to go to a Greco camp okay, but I will recommend them going to a takedown camp or something else that, in my opinion, is better.

I think a few posters have put the triple crown in perspective - it serves to recognize kid's dedication to wrestling over a continuum. Mattyb hits the nail on the head for youth wrestlers and the recognition of the triple crown. Having a 7th grader, the TC has kept him interested in learning more FS & GR (which he gets nightly at Red Cobra after folkstyle is over). It was a very happy day in the house when he said to hell with baseball, I want to do more FS & GR. 

As for GR, it's great for kids that are bigger and don't shoot a lot of legs. 

Also, add in the 4th TC for a <Pound Sign>HendricksCountySmellsFunny #paintrain 7th grader who came very close to winning MS State, too..!

On 5/11/2018 at 8:04 PM, Kyle Ayersman said:

I answered your question to the best of my ability, I stated our team had no knowledge of Greco and we turned out okay. 500 takedowns is quite a bit. We most likely won’t teach Greco, if a kid wants to go to a Greco camp okay, but I will recommend them going to a takedown camp or something else that, in my opinion, is better.

We had a single Greco camp at crown point from the Illinois assistant greco coach and..... I can put money on it that I learned MUCH MORE about  positioning and how to execute moves than a takedown camp from around here. 

9 minutes ago, Cosgrove said:

We had a single Greco camp at crown point from the Illinois assistant greco coach and..... I can put money on it that I learned MUCH MORE about  positioning and how to execute moves than a takedown camp from around here. 

Region beefs never die 😂

I'm pretty sure that even though a few of you guys say you don't do, teach, or show any Greco to your wrestlers, YA DO.   like it or not, you are , you may not be focusing on any rules or point system involved in the Greco style of wrestling, but you are teaching technique that came directly from Greco . It has its place in folkstyle, as does many other styles of wrestling.            On the topic of a triple crown, why or how could anybody downgrade an achievement of any young athlete? If he or she took the time, done the work  ,and got there hand raised , well then I bet its pretty important to a lot of people. the higher you lift it and the more you praise it , the greater it will become. 

• 5 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.