Weird and sad story about former IU wrestler

I was reading the news and saw this very unusual story.     Something's not right with this guy.  Maybe too many concussions back in the day.  See the link to article.   This was in USA today, so I think a real story.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/05/03/ex-indiana-wrestler-rocco-mantella-arrested-kicking-swans-head/576832002/

I really hate to admit this, but somehow he had eligibility and wrestled at Delaware Valley as a senior and beat me at the regional when I was a junior.  He was the national runner up that year.  He looks pretty dang rough in this picture compared to how I remember him.  

Not sure why throwing the wrestling info into a story about a person doing something dumb is relevant in this case.  Not saying the story isn’t worth reporting, but I don’t see why it’s work in thewrestling info is relevant (or if did any college sport).   Seems we should be seeing a lot more national stories about dumb former college athletes, cause I’m sure he’s not the only one making some dumb choices.  Since this isn’t related to the sport and he’s not know nationally as a notable representstive of that sport it seem like poor choice to include it in the article.     

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Not sure why throwing the wrestling info into a story about a person doing something dumb is relevant in this case.  Not saying the story isn’t worth reporting, but I don’t see why it’s work in thewrestling info is relevant (or if did any college sport).   Seems we should be seeing a lot more national stories about dumb former college athletes, cause I’m sure he’s not the only one making some dumb choices.  Since this isn’t related to the sport and he’s not know nationally as a notable representstive of that sport it seem like poor choice to include it in the article.     

Isn't it obvious? The journalist is a former basketball player, only possible explanation

As someone that wrestled on the team with him, while this this type of behavior is pretty crazy its really not that surprising unfortunately. 

I read another article that stated he had been previously arrested this year for trespassing at Disney World and also for stealing food off of people's trays at McDonald's then threatening to rob them. 

And honestly unfortunately if the article hadn't called him a former IU wrestler it probably wouldn't have been circulated as much. 

6 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

He should go kick something that can kick back.   I hope he didn't kill the swan.

yeah me too...It's pretty sad to think about...I'll admit I did a lot of research..he was dismissed from the IU team fro selling fake drugs to an undercover cop and had some other run ins...pretty sad

Edited by nkraus

• 7 months later...

Me and this guy were extremely tight at at one point. He was a complete savage on the mat. Would of been a D1 American for sure but got into some trouble. Went back to college a few years later and became a DII runner up. He suffers from CTE which is a degenerative mental disorder brought on my 2 many concussions. Basically he is dying. He is homeless and a very sad case at this point. What I can still guarentee is that if any quasi mma guys or keyboard warriors wanted to square up with him it would be an extremely bad day. He is dangerous. 

1 hour ago, Armanbel said:

Me and this guy were extremely tight at at one point. He was a complete savage on the mat. Would of been a D1 American for sure but got into some trouble. Went back to college a few years later and became a DII runner up. He suffers from CTE which is a degenerative mental disorder brought on my 2 many concussions. Basically he is dying. He is homeless and a very sad case at this point. What I can still guarentee is that if any quasi mma guys or keyboard warriors wanted to square up with him it would be an extremely bad day. He is dangerous. 

He's not the only dangerous 1.. except I don't pick on animals.. I've got plenty problems myself but never would turn coward like this.. I've tangled with a lot more savage guys than him..my heart don't pump koolaid bud...so dangerous that he's 0-3 vs geese.. only persons fight record worse is chris browns.. defend a psycho if you want but he isn't scaring nobody especially 1 that would rip his limbs off if he tried some funny stuff vs a real man not some poor bird..we wil see how dangerous he is when he's in prison with other ppl that aren't right. 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

• Y2CJ41 locked this topic