What if IN kept talent in state

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6180130-new-head-coaches-and-keeping-talent-in-state. Flo brings up a good point saying what if all states kept the talent in state, and IN was the highest scoring state in this article. Just crazy to think if we could keep the talent in state we would be competing for NCAA championships.

Well the articles actually saying out of the programs that now have new head coaches, IN had potential to scores the highest of that group based on the last 5 years of data.  Those states looked at were South Dakota, West Virginia, Indiana, and Wisconsin. 

I wouldn’t really place SD and WV as even a mid-tier wrestling states in terms of total numbers.  So IN should have more talent than those two state most years.   Wisconsin is a little more on par with Indiana in terms of talent, but it looks like have out done them lately..  So yeah IN, a mid-teir state for wrestling talent, should do better than the others states listed.  

Heck I’d like to see the numbers of how IU or PU could do if they were able to pull in wrestlers from surrounding states.  Sprinkle some stud recruits from OH, IL, Mich. into one of those lineups along with a few IN studs and look how the program turns around.   IU and PU get some in-state guts now, but we the overall caliber of them could be better.  The same could be said about Mid-West recruits to.  IU and PU both get some but the overall caliber could be better.

You also have to account for the fact that even if all talent did stay in-state at least a few wrestlers would realistically end up at Purdue.  Heck they counted Purdue’s NCAA success towards the potential total IU could have had.  While for the article comparison, WIS, SD, and WV wouldn’t have any legit DI schools with Wrestling to compete with their in-state talent.  

I get the point they want to make, but don’t read to much into the article.  Should be be able to keep more top talent in state?  Yes.   Would that help improve the program? Definitely.    But will all the hammers stay in state and if so would they all migrate to IU?  That is highly unlikely.  There are other perineal Top 10 programs who will always battle to get IN top studs even if IU starts hovering close to the Top 10.  Then even if most stay, splitting the between our two DI program will limit the NCAA ceiling for either team.  Saying the schools can do better in state is a given, and it should definitely be when compared two or even three of other schools listed.

Edited by MattM

I'm pretty sure if you put Ohio State keeping all the Ohio talent, Penn State keeping all of the Pennsylvania talent, Iowa keeping all the Iowa talent and Rutgers keeping all of the NJ talent, it would change the article.

Also, while this is a nice sentiment, it is not a realistic picture of the recruiting landscape.  Top tier schools will always compete for top talent from other states.  Sure solid wrestling states have a base built by in-state kids but they are still competing nationally for kids.

4 minutes ago, oldfat119 said:

Angel talked about this in his interview on the Takedown podcast,  7 IN guys in the bloodround this year would have scored a lot of points for PU or IN

A serious question remains...how well is the talent developed?  Who has progressed more Lee or Red?  Do we think they'd have fared as well if they were in the IN or Boiler room?  I'd like to think so, but not sure.  Building the whole package is a huge coaching task BEYOND the recruiting.  It's why some kids will pick up an leave their home state.

20 minutes ago, .02 said:

A serious question remains...how well is the talent developed?  Who has progressed more Lee or Red?  Do we think they'd have fared as well if they were in the IN or Boiler room?  I'd like to think so, but not sure.  Building the whole package is a huge coaching task BEYOND the recruiting.  It's why some kids will pick up an leave their home state.

That’s one reason I would like to see Escobedo push the AD to put up some funding to add one more high quality assistant to the staff.  If IU could get in one more solid technician, especially one with decent name recognition that could really help boost the development in the room and help with future recruiting.  

Most top Big 10 schools have two top assistants that are recognizable names and then some some additional coaches after than.  That’s not even mentioning the RTC coaching advantage some programs have.  But IU only has really budgeted out for one main assistant coaches with some additional positions.  And Im not even sure if that one top assistant position pays as well as most of Big10, to help attract a top candidate.  It’s hard to Even get to the middle of Big10 when your schools only budgets to put together the support staff equal to a mid-level MAC team.   Sure it’s possible, but it’s a huge mountain to climb and a heck of a lot of work that usually ends up driving the quality assistants to another program.   

To get more stud recruits interested a program first has to prove it can develop talent and provide a solid room of practice partners.   The best way I can see to improve that area that is add another high quality coach so more time can be give to the wrestlers.   Not to mention the help that additional top assistant could give in recruiting, networking with HS coaches, and developing the fan base.  

Edited by MattM

@MattM this is very true.  It is why coaching at this level is about so much more than just being a great wrestler, technician, motivator, recruiter etc....  You've really got to manage a whole program and you've got to get the fiscal backing to make it happen.  Your point about building DEPTH in the coaching staff is a great one.

I am personally more of a Purdue fan, but I am pulling for Angel none the less.  I hope he gets the support he needs to make some real changes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.