P4P king of ‘19

Jayruss

25 minutes ago, Fabio Jr. said:

Off topic....cant believe we are tainting the new room on thursday  :blink:

It was tainted when the couple of Avon dads were let in on Saturday!

And yes.. Asa was a big 125 one last time. Honestly... I really don't see him in the 120s many more times if any. Maybe it will happen. But... my opinion is no.

Edited by Mattyb

51 minutes ago, 3xStateChamp said:

I would say “Way Bigger” would be a better term for it . Just go through the Brownsburg RWO Topic and take a look at picture that Coach Synder posted and comeback here tell us what you think ? 

I saw that, I just haven't seen a picture of Mendez flexing like that:)  So by 'way bigger' I guess I am wondering if they should be predicted to be more than one weight class apart next year???  Seems like Mendez could easily mature and put on some weight/muscle.

Is 'way bigger' just comparing maturity when physically comparing and 8th and 11th grader?

8 minutes ago, .02 said:

I saw that, I just haven't seen a picture of Mendez flexing like that:)  So by 'way bigger' I guess I am wondering if they should be predicted to be more than one weight class apart next year???  Seems like Mendez could easily mature and put on some weight/muscle.

Is 'way bigger' just comparing maturity when physically comparing and 8th and 11th grader?

My guess is more than 1 weight class... but I can’t say without a doubt. Just an educated opinion. In my mind it is an apples to oranges match up at this time. 

Note that I have too much respect for both boys to say who would beat who... just don’t eee then matching up next year. 

Btw... one thing that they have in common.. They were both on the ISWA team that set a record finish of third place at Heartland Duals... Heartland was just past weekend. Had a good time looking back on that team this weekend. 

Edited by Mattyb

27 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

It was tainted when the couple of Avon dads were let in on Saturday!

And yes.. Asa was a big 125 one last time. Honestly... I really don't see him in the 120s many more times if any. Maybe it will happen. But... my opinion is no.

6 minutes ago, .02 said:

Matt’s post pretty much answers your question if you want to go by weight class. 

35 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

I really don't see him in the 120s many more times if any. Maybe it will happen. But... my opinion is no.

Seems reasonable looking at him.  Projecting to college he looks like a 133/141.  Any thoughts on how he would have fared against the 132 crowd this year?  Does he have any matches v. Bryant or Mosconi? Not sure if either of them could still be @ 132 next year or not...

Just now, .02 said:

Seems reasonable looking at him.  Projecting to college he looks like a 133/141.  Any thoughts on how he would have fared against the 132 crowd this year?  Does he have any matches v. Bryant or Mosconi? Not sure if either of them could still be @ 132 next year or not...

Never wrestled Bryant just practice a few times with him at Jordan Camp , wrestled Mosconi way back in 6th Grade at MS State . 

1 hour ago, Fabio Jr. said:

but we kept em off the mat..and then rigourously scrubbed it clean lol

Fabio I'm not sure if you saw the emails, but the parents of the poor Team USA kids that had to stay in Avon have complained VERY loudly to Joe.  

"We thought our kids were going to be staying in Brownsburg!  If someone would have told us our kids would have had to go to Avon we would have never allowed them to participate."  :D

Between the whole weigh-in controversy and this, I'm surprised we were able to have the event at all.  

18 minutes ago, Kookie953 said:

Fabio I'm not sure if you saw the emails, but the parents of the poor Team USA kids that had to stay in Avon have complained VERY loudly to Joe.  

"We thought our kids were going to be staying in Brownsburg!  If someone would have told us our kids would have had to go to Avon we would have never allowed them to participate."  :D

Between the whole weigh-in controversy and this, I'm surprised we were able to have the event at all.  

Pretty sure that the topic of adoption came up a few times at Conleys house while we watched our state finals with a 2 time world champ from Russia (Teamers coach). That dude was insanely awesome!! Very cool stuff. Thanks for allowing us to help out. It was a cool deal.

Edited by Mattyb

3 hours ago, Kookie953 said:

“That which shall not be names”. Has the tragic tails of Hoggwarts taught you nothing.  You’re placing this whole thread in grave peril by referring to it by name.  

4 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Pretty sure that the topic of adoption came up a few times at Conleys house while we watched our state finals with a 2 time world champ from Russia (Teamers coach). That dude was insanely awesome!! Very cool stuff. Thanks for allowing us to help out. It was a cool deal.

It was awesome.  All the talk is in good fun...always good to hang out with our friends to the south and glad we could all come together and make it happen!

On 4/15/2018 at 4:42 PM, navy80 said:

Asa wrestled in a weight class where he beat two former state champs....and wrestled the always tough Ty Mills several times over the years. Kid doesn't run from anyone.

Mendez has to travel the country to find someone who can beat him. Kid is on Red, Lee, Lee, Lee, Parris, Tsritsis, etc's level. Kid doesnt run from anyone

Next year's champions

113 Moran

120 Curtis

126 Mendez

132 Garcia

138 Rooks

STUDS and all multiple time champions

I think Manzona Bryant takes next year state championship at 138

49 minutes ago, doublelegkilla said:

I think Manzona Bryant takes next year state championship at 138

Talented kid no doubt.  Questionable if his schedule is tough enough. Trackwrestling (I had trouble finding any info on FloArena for some reason) shows his HS record this year- almost every match during the regular schedule is a first period fall.  Hard to compete at a high level 'all of a sudden' at state when you are hitting kids from schools who've really run up against top notch opponents all year. 

10 hours ago, .02 said:

138# only 2 returning state placers: 5,7

Will be interesting to see who ends up at this weight:

C. Rooks (126 this year; could bump clear to 138?)

Mosconi or Bryant (132 this year 2nd and 3rd; doubt either stay at 132; do they go 138 or 145?)

M. Lee or C. Gimson (138 this year, While they were 7th and 5th they did well in a weight packed with some heavy hitting seniors.... Can they still make the weight?)

1 hour ago, .02 said:

Talented kid no doubt.  Questionable if his schedule is tough enough. Trackwrestling (I had trouble finding any info on FloArena for some reason) shows his HS record this year- almost every match during the regular schedule is a first period fall.  Hard to compete at a high level 'all of a sudden' at state when you are hitting kids from schools who've really run up against top notch opponents all year. 

Just finished second at FloNationals. Reached the finals with a controversial(depending on ones own view) win over Rumph. 

29 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Just finished second at FloNationals. Reached the finals with a controversial(depending on ones own view) win over Rumph. 

True (on both counts).  Even if he'd finished 3rd or 4th it would have been impressive.  Question still remains- Ready for IN State Finals?  It might be argued that he finally got some challenging matches and started raising his level.  Also not sure of what he did to prepare for Flo?  RTC's with more practice partners?  Some wrestling academy?  He has 'plymouth' on Flo Nationals.... 

I am just arguing that a tough schedule (even one with some losses- quality losses) like some champs and runner up finishers from schools like Avon, Portage, Cathedral, Brownsburg have will help hone your skills for the tight matches in the State Finals.  Most schools in Da Region and <Pound Sign>TheCounty (to site a couple of examples) are pushing the level of competition all the time and they are ready for the tight matches down the stretch.

Edited by .02

16 hours ago, .02 said:

Culver schedule next year has several events with high quality opponents. A trip to Ohio and Detroit will definitely have top level talent. 

33 minutes ago, ttwo0603 said:

Culver schedule next year has several events with high quality opponents. A trip to Ohio and Detroit will definitely have top level talent. 

Sounds good- which tournaments did they swap out?  Exciting to see some out of state competition.  That seems to be a challenge in IN.  Lots of kids in Da Region see good competition, but often it is against each other multiple times.  Are there other schools getting out of state competition? I think one of the things about IHSWCA Team State that is nice is seeing schools from other parts of the state too.  Are there restrictions on travel distance?  I felt like we had some kids not competing in IN for that very reason.

46 minutes ago, ttwo0603 said:

Who are some of the kids moving in from Ohio to Culver this year?  I heard there is supposed to be 5 kids, but I was only told of Peyten Keller.  

33 minutes ago, Sig40 said:

Peyten Keller. 

Is that Peyten Kellar? 

On 4/16/2018 at 2:15 PM, .02 said:

Can anyone left in the 126 (or coming up there) give Mendez SERIOUS competition?

Maybe Peyten Kellar?  His most recent weigh-ins on Track Wrestling are @ cadet 120 (same as Mendez).

19 hours ago, MOWrestler said:

Will be interesting to see who ends up at this weight:

C. Rooks (126 this year; could bump clear to 138?)

Mosconi or Bryant (132 this year 2nd and 3rd; doubt either stay at 132; do they go 138 or 145?)

M. Lee or C. Gimson (138 this year, While they were 7th and 5th they did well in a weight packed with some heavy hitting seniors.... Can they still make the weight?)

Just early guessing; I think Rooks and Manzona will be 138 next year with Matt Lee and Mosconi at least 145.

Gimson could absolutely make 138 unless he hits a big growth spurt, but it also depends on where Watts and his brother fall.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:12 PM, 3xStateChamp said:

Matt’s post pretty much answers your question if you want to go by weight class. 

easy answer to this question is simply that Jesse (absolute stud) is an 8th grader and Asa (absolute stud) is a junior.  If you look at a side by side picture of Asa immediately after his 1st state title and Asa after 2nd (pic above) you will see the difference between the two at different ages.  Team Garcia has that pic maybe he can get his friend Pistol Pete to post it up here for everyone to see and I think after that you will all then understand what all the above posts are referring to when they say he is way bigger.  Just my opinion and thoughts................  got the pic @3xStateChamp ??

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.