FloNationals

Mattyb

3 hours ago, leggin89 said:

So based on all information that I have at my disposal. Rumph did not take the ankle to the head. He took it over Bryant’s hip. That is the rule book below.

Now here is the issue. As a coach and obviously a prior wrestler it is an unwritten rule not to take a DQ win if you are losing that bad and you know the kid did not try to hurt you. But the worse part here is it is quite obvious that Bryant was coming back to wrestle. He jumped off the mat, walked to the middle of the mat just fine and adjusted his knee pad. He then looks to his coach in the corner, his coach says something and then Bryant starts holding his back. That is beyond unethical for a coach to allow an athlete to take that win. This was the National Semi-Finals. Not just some random wrestling match. 

I can tell you that if Behling is a team leader for Indiana-Illinois duals, Portage will not have a representative. We will not have a kid wrestling under someone who would do something like that.

THIS IS COACH BEHLING, HEAD COACH AT CULVER ACADEMIES.  FIRST THINGS FIRST, MANZONA BRYANT IS A GREAT KID AND TOUGH AS NAILS.  HE WOULDN'T BE IN THE SEMIS  AT FLO IF HE WAS NOT.  I AM NOT AT FLO WITH MANZONA, BUT I DID WATCH IT LIVE ONLINE ON FLOWRESTLING.  WHILE WATCHING, THE FIRST THING I THOUGHT WAS "THAT'S ILLEGAL."  BOTH REFEREES CLEARLY AGREED.  IN REGARDS TO THIS POST, I HAVE WATCHED THE RE-RUN OF THE VIDEO.  THE COACH IN THE CORNER NEVER MADE EYE CONTACT WITH OR HAD ANY COMMUNICATION WITH MANZONA PRIOR TO HIM GRABBING HIS BACK.  MANZONA DID LOOK BACK TO THE CORNER, BUT THERE WAS NO COMMUNICATION BETWEEN THEM.  THE COACHES IN THE CORNER WERE NOT EVEN LOOKING AT MANZONA WHEN HE LOOKED OVER.  IT IS CLEAR HE GRABBED HIS BACK WITH NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE COACH.  GO TO TIME 7:52.  

I AM NOT TAKING ANYTHING AWAY FROM CHRIS RUMPH WITH THIS POST.  I HAVE THE UTMOST RESPECT FOR HIM AND WHAT HE HAS ACCOMPLISHED IN THE SPORT OF WRESTLING.  I THINK VERY HIGHLY OF HIM REGARDLESS OF THE MISTAKE HE MADE IN THIS MATCH.

17ABC110-7DED-47EA-A600-EA2B48199F4E.jpeg

2 hours ago, WrestingWOW said:

Seems to me Rump should have been at 138, what bullet was he dodging. Rum choose to avoid 138 competition, Bryant avoided further injury.

It’s my understanding that Rumph wasn’t cutting weight all season for 138. Actually, I doubt that he cut much, if any, weight for this Flo Tournament to make 132 (137) with the allowance. Dodging competition...get out of here. 

Also, I thought Flo followed college, not high school, rules. Wherein the back bow is legal. So, even if Rumph performed a back bow, which is unlikely since it doesn’t appear the pressure is being applied toward the head, it should not have been considered an illegal move in this tournament. While that is a bad call by the official, it’s incredibly disappointing that any wrestler or coach would take advantage of the bad call in a match in which the other wrestler was winning handily. 

The video is obvious. Bryant got up, adjusted his knee pad, appeared ready to go. Then coach says something, kid gets checked out, trainer appears to say it’s their choice, seems to be coaches decision to end the match. Will be very telling if Bryant is out there for the finals. If he is, I’d agree that the actions in the semifinals match were extremely poor sportsmanship. 

Sad situation for all of Indiana wrestling. 

3 hours ago, WrestingWOW said:

Seems to me Rump should have been at 138, what bullet was he dodging. Rum choose to avoid 138 competition, Bryant avoided further injury.

A few years ago Brandon James wrestled 120 at flo after wrestling at 132 throughout the season, and beat Chad Red for third place.

I don’t remember anyone giving him crap for it, and Rumph shouldn’t either.

Wow, Rumph got hosed.  He was the superior wrestler today. Definitely questionable on the back bow, seen far worse than that not get a call, and the referee wasn't on the right side to see if it was over the hip or toward the head anyway. Regardless, very few coaches would allow their guy to take a win that way.  

22 minutes ago, 3xStateChamp said:

All-American Ty Mills takes 8th Place 

Ty ended up 6th... kinda fun not cutting and realizing almost everyone he wrestled was at 132 or 138 during HS season! Gotta get ready for next year at 133 though! 

Great job by all the IN wrestlers!!!

I am too cheap to pay for Flo Pro, so I did not get to watch any video from the tournament.  When I saw Bryant had beaten Rumph in the semi's and noticed it said DEF, I got on this board to find out what had happened.  Apparently what happened has at least two differing sides.

Hind sight being 20-20 I suppose it would have been better for Bryant to continue and then injury default letting Rumph move on to the finals.  Based on the scores it looks like  Rumph likely wins over Wyo. Sem. and Indiana ends up with 1st, 3rd and 4th.  Instead IN ends up with 2nd, 3rd, 4th and a controversy.

Truth be told I thought it would be interesting to see a Combest/Bryant re-match from last years IN State Tournament 1/4 finals.

Regardless of the side of the issue you fall on, it begs the question "How important is it to be first?"  I know it's a competition and everyone wants to win.  Only the wrestlers involved actually know the truth- Did Rumph "intend" to use an illegal move?  Did Bryant "fake" the level of injury?  If they can both honestly answer NO, then things went as they should.  If not, someone lacked integrity.

Sincerely,

m. boland

1 hour ago, teammills said:

Ty ended up 6th... kinda fun not cutting and realizing almost everyone he wrestled was at 132 or 138 during HS season! Gotta get ready for next year at 133 though! 

Sorry Darren, congrats to Ty. Kinda hard to follow running up & down stairs,  sitting down, type . lol 

2 hours ago, teammills said:

Going to miss watching Ty at the high school level... one of the best ever to wrestle in Indiana. Best of luck friends! 

Anyone else notice that Bryant's back seemed fine in the finals?  He could hardly walk in the semis, but he was full go a couple hours later.  I still can't believe that Rumph had to go out that way. I also noticed that Schwartz had something to say about the back injury after the match. 

Side note: Wyo Sem is so good that Schwartz didn't even start for them this year. JV to FLO champ... unbelievable  

Overall, a great showing for IN. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.