NCAA Nationals

More Day 2 

174 - Dylan Lydy with a 5-3 win over Matt Finesilver of Duke.  He advances to face Ethan Ramos of North Carolina for the chance to wrestle for AA status.  Lydy did beat Ramos 9-7 early in the year. 
174 - Brian Harvey with a nice 7-4 win over Stanford's 9-Seed Keaton Subjeck.  He will face Northwestern's Johnny Sebastian to get to the blood round.

285 Shawn Streck with a major decision, 12-3 over Stephen Suglio of Kent to advance.  He gets 5-Seed Sam Stoll of Iowa.

Summary from this Round....

Hoosier wrestlers went 7-2 this morning with only Brock Hudkins eliminated.  Six have one more match to reach the AA round.  Wrestling continues right into those consolation rounds.

More Day 2 Consolations....

125 - Luke Welch wins 4-3 over Sean Russell to reach the blood round.

141 - Nick Lee with a solid 13-5 major over Weaver of IU.  He'll face Bucknell's 12-Seed Tyler Smith for AA status.
141 - Chad Red with a nice 3-2 win over Vince Turk, avenging a loss from the Big Tens.  Red has a tall hill to climb with a blood round match against 2x Champ Dean Heil.  A win here, would be a huge boost for Red, taking out Heil and becoming an All-American.  

Lydy & Harvey wrestling now........

Edited by SWINfan

174 Dylan Lydy with a nice 5-3 win of Ethan Ramos of UNC.  Lydy will face Lehigh's 4-Seed Jordan Kutler for AA status.
174 Brian Harvey with a huge 9-6 win over Johnny Sebastian of Northwestern.  A nice 6-point move out of a scramble in the 3rd period helped seal the deal.  He faces Ohio State's Bo Jordan for AA status.  Go Army!

285 Shawn Streck hit a brick wall against Sam Stoll of Iowa.  Stoll dominated him physically and then got the fall in the 2nd period. A nice run for Shawn, but just short of becoming an All-American.

We go to the night session with 1 guaranteed All-American (Micic) and the opportunity for the following to earn it:

125 Luke Welch - Castle/Purdue - A senior, 14-Seed Welch is 32-10 on the year.  He finished 4th in the Big Ten and will face 9-Seed Ronnie Bresser (or Rios - take your pick)from Oregon State.  Bresser beat Welch 12-7 at the Midlands.

141 Nick Lee - Mater Dei/Penn State - Seeded 8th as a true freshman, Lee was upset in the first round getting pinned by Ryan Diehl of Maryland.  Lee had previously beaten Diehl 22-10.  Lee, 30-6 on the year, battled back to defeat the 9th, 10th and 16th seeds.  He'll face 12-Seed Tyler Smith of Bucknell.  With no previous matchup, there have been several common opponents.  Smith lost to Cole Weaver (Lee won twice) and Mason Smith (Lee beat him today 5-0).  Both beat Nate Limmex, Kyle Shoop, Russell Rohlfing, and both lost to Yianni Diakomihalis. A win for Lee will likely earn him a rematch against Illinois' Michael Carr.  Lee lost to Carr at the Big Tens 10-6.

141 Chad Red - New Palesting/Nebraska - Unseeded redshirt freshman Red has had his ups and down on the season but is finishing strong. He's 24-10 and faces 2x National Champ Dean Heil of Oklahoma State.  To get here, after a 1st round loss, Red has beaten 3 Big Ten opponents in a row.  Heil is known for wrestling a very tight, low scoring (boring!) style.  I believe Red needs to open up and try to win some scrambles to beat Heil.  A win here would be a feather in Red's cap, potentially propelling him to even greater success.  Red definitely has a tougher road than Lee.  Should Red beat Heil he'd face either NC St's Kevin Jack or Clarion's Brock Zacherl, who he lost to in the first round.  

149 Jason Tsirtsis - Crown Point/Arizona St - A former NCAA Champion Tsirtsis is trying to make another run.  19-7 on the year, the 10-Seed senior faces Iowa State's unseeded Jerrett Degen. Not a lot of common opponents to go by, expect this one to be close to the end.  A win here, Jason would face either Max Thomsen of Northern Iowa or Grant Leeth of Missouri.  Thomsen was a 3-1 winner in a January match with JT.  

174 Dylan Lydy - Ben Davis/Purdue - 35-13 on the season, the redshirt sophomore (?) has had a nice year for the Boilermakers.  He faces 4-Seed Jordan Kutler of Lehigh.  Kutler is 26-4 on the season with his only losses to Mark Hall (2x), Zahid Valencia and Michigan's Myles Amine (3-2 in the quarterfinal).  This looks to be a tough task for Lydy.

174 Ben Harvey - Cathedral/Army - 23-10 on the season, Harvey, a redshirt sophomore (?), has had a good run winning 4 straight after losing his initial pigtail match.  He faces a stern test in Ohio State's Bo Jordan.  Jordan defeated Stanford's Keaton Subjeck 9-5, while Harvey split 2 matches with Subjeck, the win coming earlier today 7-4.  Jordan and Harvey both beat Northwestern's Johnny Sebastian, Jordan 9-5, Harvey 9-6.  If Harvey can take out OSU's Jordan, he would face either Northern Iowa's Taylor Lujan or Oklahoma State's Jacobe Smith.

So there you have it.  Six more opportunities to join Stevan Micic as an All-American!

23 minutes ago, Dingo Brigade said:

To become an AA:

Welch has to beat Bresser

Lee must beat Smith of Bucknell 

Red needs to beat Heil

Tsirtsis has to overcome Degen of ISU

Lydy must get by Kutler

Harvey has to knock off Bo Jordan

I'd say Indiana boys are favored in 2 of these matches, but we'll see

Agreed.  I'd say Lee and Tsirtsis are favored.  But they wrestle the matches for a reason.  Let's hope for a few upsets!

I do have a question for someone that knows tournament scoring better than I do.   Bonus points aside, are the team points the same for a guy that finishes 3rd after losing in the semifinal vs. a guy who loses in the first round and wrestles all the way back to 3rd?  I know advancement points are lower in the consolations, but would the extra matches make up for that?

45 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I do have a question for someone that knows tournament scoring better than I do.   Bonus points aside, are the team points the same for a guy that finishes 3rd after losing in the semifinal vs. a guy who loses in the first round and wrestles all the way back to 3rd?  I know advancement points are lower in the consolations, but would the extra matches make up for that?

I think in this scenario, the semifinalist would have a half point more the first rounder. The first rounder would need one more match to equal the points from the three topside wins the semifinalist would have. 

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

Im excited they score bonus points in the first round and wrestle back rounds.  Not all places do that you know.

Love that Ben Askren created multiple tweets pointing out DiSanto's baby fits. Tough freshman, but that act is weak. Micic is such a grown man he shook his hand, despite the cheap shots. Micic can win the whole thing, but Pletcher is elite, too, and they know each other's stuff intimately. Can't wait 

27 minutes ago, Dingo Brigade said:

Love that Ben Askren created multiple tweets pointing out DiSanto's baby fits. Tough freshman, but that act is weak. Micic is such a grown man he shook his hand, despite the cheap shots. Micic can win the whole thing, but Pletcher is elite, too, and they know each other's stuff intimately. Can't wait 

Micic 6-2 is my prediction 

Not sure where to find it, but I thought Yianni's post-match comment was telling.  In a nutshell, he said he saw where/how he could take Heil down, but saved it for later in the match when he might need it.  Maybe I'm wrong, but to me that's next level wrestling for a true freshman, especially one in a tight match with a 2x defending National Champion.   

1 hour ago, Dingo Brigade said:

As an Ohio State fan, I don’t think Pletcher has nearly any shot against the Micic that’s been coming on strong the last few weeks and(I can’t believe I’m saying this about a Michigan wrestler with a tight team race), but I would much rather see Micic win. Watching a Pletcher match is equivalent to watching grass grow, and Micic is one of the most fun to watch in the field, even without the Indiana bias.

1 minute ago, Caleb Spires said:

As an Ohio State fan, I don’t think Pletcher has nearly any shot against the Micic that’s been coming on strong the last few weeks and(I can’t believe I’m saying this about a Michigan wrestler with a tight team race), but I would much rather see Micic win. Watching a Pletcher match is equivalent to watching grass grow, and Micic is one of the most fun to watch in the field, even without the Indiana bias.

I agree. Micic is wrestling at such a high level. His top game has grown by leaps and bounds and his neutral looks better (and he was pretty darn good on his feet already). I think he handles Pletcher and believe he can pull one out with Gross.

24 minutes ago, Caleb Spires said:

Hate to say it this way but Pletcher is today's version of Jason Tsirtsis.  His style is like watching paint dry.  

Day 2 - Session 4 - Friday Night

Luke Welch drops a 8-6 dec in sudden victory against Ronnie Bresser of Oregon St.  One match shy of AA status.
What a fun weight class.  Spencer Lee pins Nathan Tomsello and Nick Suriano beats defending Champ Darian Cruz.

Stevan Micic beats Luke Pletcher 8-4 to earn a spot in the finals.  Seth Gross won by fall in sudden victory over a very game Tariq Wilson of NC St.  Stevan Micic National Finalist!

Chad Red with the fall over Dean Heil!!!!  Chad Red All-American!
Nick Lee with a   13-6 win over Tyler Smith of Bucknell.  Nick Lee All-American!

Edited by SWINfan