TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS - 170/171

base

1 hour ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Cooper also was a state champion in Washington iirc..

That’s right. I forgot he was a state champ from Washington. What did he get in Indiana that year? 2nd or 3rd?

When we are talking about state titles, in Hughes' defense, if it weren't for a nasty spladle he would have won his sophmore year as well.  I watched him beat up on Tommy Cash in the finals of Al Smith and probably would have pinned him except for Tommy being extremely flexible and screaming out right before he turned so the ref kept stopping it.

23 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

There is no question that Maurer was better on his feet, but how much better and better enough to negate Drew's top game? 

All this talk about Maurer vs Hughes has got me thinking if this would come down to a flip of the disk. 

Making a couple of assumptions (for argument sake)...

1. First period would end 0-0 (Hughes fends off several Maurer blast doubles).

2. Hughes rides out Maurer but does not turn him for 1 period (won't make that assumption for 2 periods). 

What would the strategy be for each wrestler if they win the flip of the disk after period 1?

Maurer wins flip - Does he take down to try and score 1st point?  Does he choose neutral to go another 2 mins on his feet?  Does he defer?

Hughes wins flip - Does he take down to try and score 1st point?  Does he choose top as this might be his only opportunity to hammer on Blake?  Does he defer?

I agree that Drew has advantage on top but going 30 second overtimes does Blake ride him too?

Fun to discuss!

Are we going with the overtime rules for Blake's years where you went 1 minute on your feet then a coin flip for ultimate ride out or the current overtime rules?

Even a better question, do we think we could get Blake and Drew to wrestle NOW? I think Blake might still have a few tricks up his sleeve and some gas in the tank.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.