NAIA National Qualifiers from Indiana

Y2CJ41

I looked over the qualifiers, if I missed anyone please tell me.

Link to qualifiers
http://www.naia.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=640449&SPID=96197&DB_OEM_ID=27900&ATCLID=211701653

Calumet (Ind.) 157 Josh Fuqua 4-0
Calumet (Ind.) 285 Nick Fowler 11-3

Cumberlands (Ky.) 125 Hayden Lee 24-1
Cumberlands (Ky.) 133 Jake Sinkovics 21-0
Cumberlands (Ky.) 165 Tristian Macri 13-6
Cumberlands (Ky.) 184 Cameron Jones 11-0

Indiana Tech 125 Sawyer Miller 25-7
Indiana Tech 133 Enrique Early 30-4
Indiana Tech 141 Gaige Torres 28-7
Indiana Tech 149 Justin Atkinson 24-11
Indiana Tech 165 Mitch Roadruck 24-7
Indiana Tech 165 Mason Gaines 21-15

Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 197 Corey Hinkle 19-7

Marian (Ind.) 165 Brett Johnson 32-14
Marian (Ind.) 165 Trezdon O’Neal 26-13
Marian (Ind.) 285 Elijah Bailey 10-5

NAIA wrestling is a great opportunity to continuing wrestling.    Its just that some kids don't want to go to a small college for whatever reason.  If you get over that,  the competition level is not D1, but its still pretty competitive.   Its great to see that NAIA is continuing to add schools, as it really almost bottomed out  in the 90s.

11 minutes ago, nk140 said:

NAIA is scholarship wrestling.  I equate it to D2 in the quality of wrestling.  I will never understand why someone would not want to free education.  Especially coming from a D3 school like myself.

I think D2 is a little tougher which gives it more depth and it has more schools and just more name recognition to get kids there.   But NAIA is catching up.     The thing about wrestling is that there so many high school wrestlers with not that many college opportunities.    So when you do get  a wrestler that doesn't make D1 or D2, they're still the guys not that far from the top guys.  I went and wrestled at a NAIA school and its competitive,  but its not life or a job like the D1 wrestlers commit to.  Ill add that its rarely a free ride in NAIA, but the schools make the scholarship have a discount rate to tuition that makes it cheaper than the state school.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

28 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

NAIA wrestling is a great opportunity to continuing wrestling.    Its just that some kids don't want to go to a small college for whatever reason.  If you get over that,  the competition level is not D1, but its still pretty competitive.   Its great to see that NAIA is continuing to add schools, as it really almost bottomed out  in the 90s.

The NAIA school I went to had a dual with IU and SIUE and we went to some decent D1 opens (Joe Parisi Open, Michigan State Open)

As a whole the NAIA competition is getting alot better too

Full rundown heading into Day 2:

Calumet (Ind.) 157 Josh Fuqua 4-0 (#6 seed, finishes 0-2)
Calumet (Ind.) 285 Nick Fowler 11-3 (unseeded, finishes 1-2)

(also for Calumet, Whitaker at 197 falls in the blood round)

Cumberlands (Ky.) 125 Hayden Lee 24-1 (#4 seed, faces #1 in the semi's; guaranteed Top 6)
Cumberlands (Ky.) 133 Jake Sinkovics 21-0 (#1 seed, faces #4 in the semi's; guaranteed Top 6 and 4-time AA status)
Cumberlands (Ky.) 165 Tristian Macri 13-6 (#6 seed, loses to #11 in R16 then defaults out of conso's)
Cumberlands (Ky.) 184 Cameron Jones 11-0 (#1 seed, faces #4 in the semi's; guaranteed top 6)

Indiana Tech 125 Sawyer Miller 25-7 (#7 seed, faces a no-seed in conso quarters; guaranteed Top 8)
Indiana Tech 133 Enrique Early 30-4 (#2 seed, faces #3 in the semi's; guaranteed Top 6)
Indiana Tech 141 Gaige Torres 28-7(#8 seed, faces #9 in conso quarters; guaranteed Top 8)
Indiana Tech 149 Justin Atkinson 24-11 (#10 seed, faces no-seed in conso quarters; guaranteed Top 8)
Indiana Tech 165 Mitch Roadruck 24-7 (#9 seed, faces #8 in conso quarters; guaranteed Top 8)
Indiana Tech 165 Mason Gaines 21-15 (unseeded, finishes 0-2)

(also for Indiana Tech, #10 Garty at 157 in conso quarters)

Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 197 Corey Hinkle 19-7 (unseeded, finishes 1-2 with a win over #10)

Marian (Ind.) 165 Brett Johnson 32-14 (#12 seed, takes out #5 & #4, faces #1 in the semi's; guaranteed Top 6)
Marian (Ind.) 165 Trezdon O’Neal 26-13 (unseeded, finishes 0-2)
Marian (Ind.) 285 Elijah Bailey 10-5 (unseeded, finishes 1-2)

Teams:

Cumberlands in solid 2nd, but no chance to catch perennial champ Grand View, IA.

Indiana Tech in 9th, but tied for 2nd in AA's with 6 and should leapfrog several teams just ahead of them today. 

Marian in 22nd with Johnson still alive and Calumet finishes 38th.

Edited by maligned

Wow, what a start to the day! Indiana's own Sinkovics vs. Indiana's own Early for the NAIA national title at 133 tonight! Hayden Lee also won and will go for a title at 125! 

Sawyer Miller keeps it going and heads to the conso semi's as well. 

Edited by maligned

The clock strikes midnight on Johnson's cinderella run and he falls by first period tech to the 1-seed. Roadruck of Tech also falls.

Just waiting on Cameron Jones' semi-final yet for this round for guys with Indiana ties.

Final NAIA Placements

Hayden Lee- CHAMPION
Jake Sinkovics- CHAMPION
Erique Early- Runner-up
Sawyer Miller 6th
Gaige Torres 7th
Justin Atkinson 7th
Thomas Garty 8th
Mitch Roadruck 7th
Brett Johnson 6th
Cam Jones 5th
Colton Gonzales 8th

On 2/22/2018 at 3:19 PM, julio said:

Still looking for student athletes that want an education and continue wrestling for a low cost.  Look us up.

Edited by busstogate
I'm dumb and lazy.

On 3/3/2018 at 12:40 PM, Barrq said:

Jones gets pinned quick, Cumberlands goes three for four in the Semi's. They are close to locking 2nd place up in the team standings.

I watched Travis coaching Saurday night on my TV, that was cool. Too bad it was against Tech...

48 minutes ago, Jimtown 138 said:

I watched Travis coaching Saurday night on my TV, that was cool. Too bad it was against Tech...

More interesting is Travis coaching Hayden Lee in the finals. They were both a part of the same wrestling club back in the good ole days. They took very different paths and end up meeting again, this time as coach and wrestler.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.