Epic Clash

bluechipper

While another thread is exploding discussing Brayton Lee vs. Joe Lee, I’ve been thinking about another epic clash that will have to remain in the “What If” category.

Mason Parris vs. 

Gelen Robinson?

They were two of the most dominant 220 pounders in recent memory. Who would win this match-up of multiple-time titans?

Four that come immediately to mind in no particular order:

David McCubbins (Monrovia) circa 1991; multiple time Fargo Champ; would be a 2x-er, but broke his jaw in tourney series. Funky technician, but nasty. 

DJ Radnovic (Gibson Southern) - undefeated champ and all the athleticism if not more than Parris. Maybe a Champ in 1996?

Matt Hasbrook (Cathedral) 3 time Fargo Champ and FILA Cadet world Runner-up. State Champ ~1999. 

Nate Moore (Perry or Franklin?) - 3xer and overall good physical technician. 

All I know is any of these 4 would give him a hell of a match. They weren’t afraid of anyone and were very dominant big men. I think McCubbins might have topped out at 182, but the other three were stout 215lb’ers

24 minutes ago, warsawwrestling said:

I'm not going to guess which one would win, but will say I remember sitting on the bottom of the stands at Merrillville Semi-State when Robinson walked by me.  I honestly think I peed myself a little bit. That man somehow fit into a 220 body!

Similar experience to when Radnovich walked by me at the Seymour Semi-State back in the day. 

12 minutes ago, Cooper160 said:

D.j was a beast .. was anton talamontes also 220 around 2000, also a monster

DJ pinned Berry from BD in like 1:00 in the finals 

I wrestled Berry once and he hit a double on me and lifted me up off the mat and slammed the heck out of me   I thought this isn’t supposed to happen. Coach Otha Taylor yelled that is why we practice sprawling every day get up!  Berry was very good also but Radnovich was a Huge Grown man.  I believe he finished 3rd his Junior year. 

Rachman Crable was by far the strongest and meanest 215 I personally wrestled!!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I don’t think he made top 10. I want to say 11th? Definitely wasn’t put in the same tier that parris is now

Gelen was top 3 at one point senior year if I remember... maybe I’m just thinking that though.

Still take Parris, but there’s very minimal chance it’s a major. Gelen was a freaking tank.

Edited by Caleb Spires

12 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Four that come immediately to mind in no particular order:

David McCubbins (Monrovia) circa 1991; multiple time Fargo Champ; would be a 2x-er, but broke his jaw in tourney series. Funky technician, but nasty. 

DJ Radnovic (Gibson Southern) - undefeated champ and all the athleticism if not more than Parris. Maybe a Champ in 1996?

Matt Hasbrook (Cathedral) 3 time Fargo Champ and FILA Cadet world Runner-up. State Champ ~1999. 

Nate Moore (Perry or Franklin?) - 3xer and overall good physical technician. 

All I know is any of these 4 would give him a hell of a match. They weren’t afraid of anyone and were very dominant big men. I think McCubbins might have topped out at 182, but the other three were stout 215lb’ers

McCubbins was only 171.  While he was certainly a bad ass, he's probably giving up too much size.

No way Gelen gets majored, he only got taken down once soph-senior year and it was in the quarters or semis's his senior year (cant remember) by a kid from Cardinal Ritter.  All i know is after that takedown Gelen won state but was still pissed off about the one takedown

Edited by indianmorg

1 hour ago, V and M's Dad said:

Gelen was ranked 4th 

Kyle Snyder was #1  on Flo 

Heard that Snyder kid was kinda good ?. And I do remember Radnovich, was at state when he pinned his way through. He was a specimen for sure. I will still take Mason over everyone 

I'd give the edge to Mason. I was a big fan of Gelen - he was a tremendous athlete and loved to watch him dominate all the way through state.

However, he did wrestle briefly at Purdue and I think struggled (not surprisingly as a young athlete) against college level wrestlers.  I would expect Mason at this point to also have some struggles at the college level, but see more success than Gelen did. I think Gelen really relied on those athletic abilities where I would rate Mason as more technical. Once the physical abilities somewhat level out in college you've got to have the technical skills to score.

1 hour ago, base said:

I'd give the edge to Mason. I was a big fan of Gelen - he was a tremendous athlete and loved to watch him dominate all the way through state.

However, he did wrestle briefly at Purdue and I think struggled (not surprisingly as a young athlete) against college level wrestlers.  I would expect Mason at this point to also have some struggles at the college level, but see more success than Gelen did. I think Gelen really relied on those athletic abilities where I would rate Mason as more technical. Once the physical abilities somewhat level out in college you've got to have the technical skills to score.

Gelen plays football as well at Purdue.  He never dedicated his full time into collegiate wrestling.  He didn’t wrestle a lot of offseason in high school. He was too busy winning State in track.  You could look at it any way you wanted.  It’s only opinion.  It’s always amazed me when someone says, “ He relies on his athleticism.” Every athlete relies on their athleticism.  You don’t win 2 State titles without being a technician.  It’s a slap in the face to not only Gelen, but to his opponents to say otherwise. I’ll take G-Rob.   

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.