Indiana not alone w/ controversial calls

SWINfan

My DVR picked up the whole Iowa State Championships so I thought I would take a peek and see what their tournament looked like.  The first thing I hated from a TV perspective is they show all three classes finals at the same time in boxes, so you see four boxes on your screen, 3 matches and one with the scores/times/names.  Trying to watch that gave me a headache.

On to the call...  2A Final in 106.  Score tied at 0 and goes to OT.  The official resets the wrestlers to the middle of the mat with :08 left.  The tie up and are pushing back and forth.  One wrestler pushing a little more aggressively, but nowhere near a shot by either.  With :01 left the referee calls stalling on on one of them.  Apparently he was warned earlier so the 1 point basically ended the match.  The wrestlers took their ankle bands off and then were told to put them back on because of the :01.  They did, he blew the whistle and they shook hands and walked off, both wrestlers looking dumbfounded.

The uploaded image is how they show the matches on TV.  I took a short :08 video of the call but can't get it small enough to upload.  

20180219_153022.jpg

4 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The Illinois state tournament has three separate broadcasts, one for each class. I'm surprised Iowa doesn't have a broadcast like that.

I do believe these are taped and played later, each separately.  Looks like Iowa does a live broadcast of the finals.  Best way they can show them all at the same time I imagine.  On a side note, if they just went to ONE class, this would not be an issue, maybe they should just work harder at their broadcast.

5 hours ago, SWINfan said:

My DVR picked up the whole Iowa State Championships so I thought I would take a peek and see what their tournament looked like.  The first thing I hated from a TV perspective is they show all three classes finals at the same time in boxes, so you see four boxes on your screen, 3 matches and one with the scores/times/names.  Trying to watch that gave me a headache.

On to the call...  2A Final in 106.  Score tied at 0 and goes to OT.  The official resets the wrestlers to the middle of the mat with :08 left.  The tie up and are pushing back and forth.  One wrestler pushing a little more aggressively, but nowhere near a shot by either.  With :01 left the referee calls stalling on on one of them.  Apparently he was warned earlier so the 1 point basically ended the match.  The wrestlers took their ankle bands off and then were told to put them back on because of the :01.  They did, he blew the whistle and they shook hands and walked off, both wrestlers looking dumbfounded.

The uploaded image is how they show the matches on TV.  I took a short :08 video of the call but can't get it small enough to upload.  

20180219_153022.jpg

Would be nice if trackwrestling showed all 4 matches at the same time. I had to switch back and fourth from mat to mat. Got to the point I just watched one mat the the whole round.

49 minutes ago, Jesster125 said:

Would be nice if trackwrestling showed all 4 matches at the same time. I had to switch back and fourth from mat to mat. Got to the point I just watched one mat the the whole round.

Open up Sign 4 separate browser screens and sign into track each.  Size them to each quarter of your computer.  It’s a little more work, but there you go 4 screens.  Then hook your computer up to a big screen tv and get a decent view for the entire streaming portion of the event. 

10 hours ago, MattM said:

Open up Sign 4 separate browser screens and sign into track each.  Size them to each quarter of your computer.  It’s a little more work, but there you go 4 screens.  Then hook your computer up to a big screen tv and get a decent view for the entire streaming portion of the event. 

why not 4 computers and 4 tvs ? Bernewitness got it right at FWSS....4 mats on 1 screen and ZERO problems....just sayin !  I asked on another thread if Track was showing parade on Friday and still don't know if they did.... wifey wants to know as that was what she wanted to see most ...

2 minutes ago, fearless fly said:

why not 4 computers and 4 tvs ? Bernewitness got it right at FWSS....4 mats on 1 screen and ZERO problems....just sayin !  I asked on another thread if Track was showing parade on Friday and still don't know if they did.... wifey wants to know as that was what she wanted to see most ...

Somehow a small town local newspaper puts out a better webcast than large professional companies that specialize in wrestling brackets and broadcasts.... 

1 hour ago, quinnsDAD said:

Also numerous 2-3 timers at same weights and even two four timers back to back at 126, sorry I hope we never change our individual tournament!!

It is so sad these kids aren't true champions. They are just faux champions and go through life thinking they are a state champion.

2 hours ago, quinnsDAD said:

Also numerous 2-3 timers at same weights and even two four timers back to back at 126, sorry I hope we never change our individual tournament!!

I agree 100%.  Didn't want to bring that up initially in this thread because I didn't want it to become all about class wrestling.  But it drove me nuts to see two 4x State Champs in the same weight class!   Also, hated the split screen with three matches on the same screen.  Too distracting for my brain.  

1 hour ago, fearless fly said:

Quick answer is no, Track did not show the parade.  They had a camera placed at each of the 4 mats.  If you had the cameras on you could hear them making the announcements during the parade and see kids as they walked by and eventually stopped in front of said cameras, but it was not intentional coverage.  It's my understanding that Track provides an event kit which includes the cameras, etc. but it is not a true broadcast in the sense.  Hell, mat 3 only worked about half the time and mat 4 had no sound.  I don't know if that is on Track or  who is responsible for executing it all.  No announcers on 4 irritated me, but not as much as mat 3 freezing repeatedly.

The other thing that pissed me off about Track is they no longer allow streaming/casting from multiple devices at the same time.  I tried to cast one of the mats to a 2nd tv and couldn't do it.  Couldn't do it from a new browser window (tried incognito one as well), and tried from phone/tablet.  As soon as I would cast to the 2nd screen, it would be gray and do a :30 countdown.  A soon as that cleared and video came up, the other cast/TV would go gray.  Couldn't do both simultaneously.  In the past, I could watch two mats on two TVs and a 3rd on my laptop.  This year, I could get all four mats on separate tabs on the laptop, just had limits on casting to TV's.

6 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Can they legally call themselves state champions if they didn't win under a spotlight?

Asking for a friend.

Boooo!     You can say all you want about class wrestling and I'm not going to get into that debate, but the concept of having to watch 3 championships simultaneously and the concept of 2 4x champs in the same weight class, to some reasonable people isn't ideal.  Personally, I believe Indiana gets it right in their state championship (minus wrestlebacks).

5 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Boooo!     You can say all you want about class wrestling and I'm not going to get into that debate, but the concept of having to watch 3 championships simultaneously and the concept of 2 4x champs in the same weight class, to some reasonable people isn't ideal.  Personally, I believe Indiana gets it right in their state championship (minus wrestlebacks).

Thomsen and Teske wrestled twice during the season with both matches being very exciting.

I think we take for granted how awesome indiana wrestling really is. We may not have 5 guys in every weight that are ranked nationally, but the show and production of the state finals is second to none. Legit freakin awesome with 2 guys battling for a title under the lights. No can defend

once I left southern indiana after teaching and coaching I moved to Arizona and went and watched their state finals.... Holy crap it's pathetic, I've never even gone back, not one time. Yet every year I watch ihsaa via track wrestling..... Even though it severely disappointed this year. Watching on track wrestling this year was a train wreck. 

Arizona has like 5 classes and multiple kids at STATE with losing records like14-17 or 12-15

and these guys call themselves state qualifiers. U can watch other stae finals on YouTube and just see that they don't compare to what we have going on in the Hoosier state

btw, I still hate mater dei;)

4 hours ago, Boxcar said:

I think we take for granted how awesome indiana wrestling really is. We may not have 5 guys in every weight that are ranked nationally, but the show and production of the state finals is second to none. Legit freakin awesome with 2 guys battling for a title under the lights. No can defend

once I left southern indiana after teaching and coaching I moved to Arizona and went and watched their state finals.... Holy crap it's pathetic, I've never even gone back, not one time. Yet every year I watch ihsaa via track wrestling..... Even though it severely disappointed this year. Watching on track wrestling this year was a train wreck. 

Arizona has like 5 classes and multiple kids at STATE with losing records like14-17 or 12-15

and these guys call themselves state qualifiers. U can watch other stae finals on YouTube and just see that they don't compare to what we have going on in the Hoosier state

btw, I still hate mater dei;)

Great response except one thing...here, I fixed it... Legit freakin awesome with 2 guys battling for THE title under the lights!

19 hours ago, Jesster125 said:

I think it's hard enough to watch four mats live!

4 hours ago, backtothemat said:

I think it's hard enough to watch four mats live!

Im usually using my phone, the wife’s phone, the pc and the iPad, when track wrestling actually works 

was cool seeing rob deters out there on the floor with his son, I assume??

Edited by Boxcar

12 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Im usually using my phone, the wife’s phone, the pc and the iPad, when track wrestling actually works 

was cool seeing rob deters out there on the floor with his son, I assume??

I wasn't there Friday night, but I have a feeling I'll get another opportunity in the next two years!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.