Best Career

MD92

Who had the best career?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Best Career?

• Mason Parris
    • Brayton Lee

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Parris may step right into the lineup with Adam Coon graduating this year. Lee has shot to wrestle as a true freshman, but I think they'd rather redshirt him

Michigan has a couple freshmen heavyweights are on the roster. I'd guess Michigan will see how well Parris is doing and if they have a chance at a trophy before officially pulling his redshirt.

3 hours ago, Fabio Jr. said:

Wait why are wrestlebacks bad? Cause a deserving wrestler can compete for a title like he can in literally 49 other states

Had some pretty respectful and well know Ohio wrestlers with me spectating this weekend and they were dumbfounded by our Friday night win or go home. And making the semis guaranteeing top 4 they also didn't understand. I'd have to agree that we need wrestle-backs!

39 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Here is a question I've always wondered...

Who do guys like Brayton and Mason practice with during their high school career? I guess Brayton has Mulkey and Walton and company... 

Mason has had a couple upper weights at school he’s practiced with who were decent.  I’m guessing he’s helped improve them but they had to work hard themselves to keep up with him.  I’m guessing he got some work in with Rolfes this year their 189 SSQ and last year with Tibbitts their 195 SSQ.  And maybe even a little with last years 170 Ruberg who made it to state and I know went to academy practices with him.  Not sure how much any of the coaches can go with him.   A lot of his hard training comes from the private lessons and off season practice he gets from Spatola’s academy just outside of Cincinnati.   

Edited by MattM

15 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Who do guys like Brayton and Mason practice with during their high school career? I guess Brayton has Mulkey and Walton and company... 

@Fabio Jr. obviously can answer but I thought I remember BLee saying that Mulkey was his workout partner.  Thought I remembered  170 SQ Anthony Ciccarelli did last year but could be wrong on that.  

Regarding BLee and football, it's mostly unknown that BLee was a phenomenal football player growing up too.  And this is not a shot at Lawrenceburg, but it's just a fact that there's a bit different caliber of football player on the schedule at 3A Lawrenceburg and 6A Brownsburg.  So that's a bit of an apples-to-apples comparison, as I know BLee really entertained the thought of playing past his freshman year.  But we don't have a whole lot of 138-152 lb kids that play consistently for us...as opposed to a 220 lb freakish beast of an athlete playing in 3A that could play at any school in the country and excel due to his size, strength, and speed.

There aren't many freakishly athletic kids that love the game that I've ever thought "yeah, with your future, you probably shouldn't play football" but Brayton is one of them.  

No disrespect Fabio, but there is no chance the answer is clear if looked at objectively.  As Y2 said, it's like splitting hairs.  I personally went with Mason and here is why:

As has been mentioned football (and maybe other reasons) have limited his off-season tournaments.  But is there really any doubt in here that Mason would not have done just as well had he wrestled a full schedule?  

And secondly, I think it is a different kind of impressive with what Mason was able to do as a freshman.  Look at this year's tournament.  There were 0 freshman state qualifiers above weight 152.  For Mason to go in and compete like he did at a higher weight as a frosh and finish 3rd to me is the tie breaker.  If he had :20 more he probably wins it all, but we all know about ifs and buts...  To lose 11-10 to an undefeated senior at an upper weight, but dominate everyone else as a frosh, is just something special in my eyes.  

Again, we're splitting hairs because we just saw two of Indiana's best ever.  And how crazy would have been if Joe Lee stuck around and dominated 160?  He would have 3 titles, a runner up finish to a 2xer and all of the off season accolades.  

I am just happy I got to sit back and enjoy watching both of them "work" and will continue doing so in the future.

I have a separate question....     Is it POSSIBLE that Mason could get really cut and make it down to 197, ala J'den Cox?  Would it be too difficult a cut or could diet and the right training get him there and would that be advantageous for him.  I could see him totally dominating 197 if he could get there.  Obviously the questions are, could it happen and would Mason have interest in doing so?

I vote Parris, for many of the reasons others did.  I also prefer pins to tech falls, so I like Parris' style better.  Lee is fantastic with his style, it's just that the take 'em down, let 'em up style doesn't appeal to me.  Not saying one is a better style than the other, just my preference.

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

I have a separate question....     Is it POSSIBLE that Mason could get really cut and make it down to 197, ala J'den Cox?  Would it be too difficult a cut or could diet and the right training get him there and would that be advantageous for him.  I could see him totally dominating 197 if he could get there.  Obviously the questions are, could it happen and would Mason have interest in doing so?

I have been wondering the same thing. I guess it depends on what Parris naturally weighs. Does he already cut for 220? I would think that if he naturally weighs less than 220 that the cut would be possible, but maybe not if he already cuts for 220.

10 hours ago, navy80 said:

Mason Parris dominated at heavy weight which is more impressive than lee dominating at a lower weight. 

No disrepsect to the big guys, but there is no way those top weights are as deep as the lighter weights.  That said, any underclassman that not only dominates, but competes at a high level at these weights is Incredibly impressive. I find this discussion as splitting hairs.  Both are fantastic, and we are all lucky to have watched these 2 the last 4 years represent this state of Indiana.  Looking forward to following the next chapter for both.

No surprise here, as big of a fan as I’ve been since he was a freshman, but I’m taking Parris. Obviously nothing against Lee; he is also an exceptional talent with a fantastic career, but it’s Parris for two reasons.

1. The 3rd place over SSQ

2. During introductions, I believe the announcer said that of his 206-1 record, 203 of his matches have ended in bonus points. 4 matches in a 207 match career ended in a decision, at weight classes of 182, 220, 220, 220.

Absolutely unreal dominance. This is of course subjective to different preferences, because if Brayton Lee is behind Mason, it isn’t by much. I just think it’s incredible how dominant Mason has been since day 1, starting off at 182. 

13 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Is Mason Parris still planning to play football in college, too?  If so, it would be hard to imagine that he would be considering a cut to 197.

First of all, let me say that I don't know Mason at all.  However, I'm pretty sure he weighed several pounds under 182 during his freshman season when he wrestled 182.  So just speculating, but I would guess he was probably still some amount under 220 his sophomore year.  So further speculating, I would guess his weight has been determined more by football than wrestling up to this point.  

So if he is planning to play football at Michigan, I would doubt he will be making any cuts.  Just speculating though.

21 hours ago, Fabio Jr. said:

It's easy to go with Lee 

Super 32 placer 2x

UWW AA 2x beating a few college studs

3time state champ

WNO winner

Fargo Placer

Mason won nhsca and flo 

I think comparing those statistics on top of everything Blee was objectively better in terms of career. Mason did great but I think numbers show pound for pound blee went out there and won in much more difficult scenarios 

Seeing how Mason handled Brian Kennerly Twice , and Kennerly was a super 32 champ . It is a safe bet that Mason would of won Super 32 had he entered and probably every other national event . 

On 2/19/2018 at 3:44 PM, navy80 said:

Off the top of my head at Cobra over the past two years: CJ Red, C Brewer (a lot), A White, D Blubaugh, K Wagner, G Rooks & D Combest & of course the Brownsburg guys.

On 2/20/2018 at 6:29 AM, piscis1956 said:

Is Mason Parris still planning to play football in college, too?  If so, it would be hard to imagine that he would be considering a cut to 197.

First of all, let me say that I don't know Mason at all.  However, I'm pretty sure he weighed several pounds under 182 during his freshman season when he wrestled 182.  So just speculating, but I would guess he was probably still some amount under 220 his sophomore year.  So further speculating, I would guess his weight has been determined more by football than wrestling up to this point.  

So if he is planning to play football at Michigan, I would doubt he will be making any cuts.  Just speculating though.

I've been told that he doesn't plan on playing football. Now I'm sure that could always change. Regardless he weighed 218-219 most matches, I've been told his natural weight during football was 230 but all weight loss to 220 was pretty natural. In High school Parris has never cut weight. He may have in middle school but that I can't confirm. A lot will depend what the coaches want. My understanding is he was recruited to wrestle 285 for Michigan so I assume thats the plan. I'm sure he can easily come to campus around 240+ he's a hard worker so I'm sure he'll go what ever weight is best for him.

On 2/19/2018 at 12:14 PM, Fabio Jr. said:

It's easy to go with Lee 

Super 32 placer 2x

UWW AA 2x beating a few college studs

3time state champ

WNO winner

Fargo Placer

Mason won nhsca and flo 

I think comparing those statistics on top of everything Blee was objectively better in terms of career. Mason did great but I think numbers show pound for pound blee went out there and won in much more difficult scenarios 

Most of that is because Mason is a more well-rounded athlete and participates in other sports. Since neither the thread title or opening post clearly mentioned wrestling, you could also consider Mason's accolades in football and T&F.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.