Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Fabio Jr.

Cathedral on FIRE

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

How many points did Brownsburg have deducted this weekend? Could it make the difference?

If they did get deducted 3, that will be the difference if Walton wins 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll make the unpopular statement here....   in a tournament where every point counts, is it a good thing when one of the best wrestlers in the country leaves points on the table choosing to run a take down clinic rather than pin a guy?  It's not a not on Brayton himself, but on the strategy used.  I have no idea how close the final tally will be, but it would be tough to convince me that he couldn't have pinned his 3 opponents.  Maybe not, but I think he could do anything he set his mind to today.  Listening to Brayton's interview now.  Sounds like an incredible kid.  So take the "critique" with a grain of salt, but if you need the 1.5 points he left on the table, maybe I have a point..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Slivka giving his girl Maddie a shout out at the post championship interview is a classic C-Grove move!

He had to show some form of assertiveness tonight...he certainly didn't in the match with Hunt.  Sour grapes, I know...

Edited by Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

So, with Cathredal winning today and not being at the Team State, who's the real Team Champs 

Well I think brownsburg wins in a dual but that's not what matters anymore to the IHSAA so I guess it depends on what you mean by "real" champs. I Just hate it that our team championship isn't decided by the whole team. Brownsburg and Cathedral did a great job by getting 7 and 10 guys to state but that's not the whole team. You have some semi states that from year to year are quite a bit weaker than others seems like that gives a team an advantage going into state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

Many people felt the same way until Mater Dei won it like a bazillion years in a row

Trust me us new castle alum know the wrath of  Goebels Mater dei lol.. beat us bk 2 bk years for the state title when both teams were ranked nationally..and did I mention in 01' team state when we got 5th they beat us by the largest deficit in tourney history..66-3 and we weren't no scrubs with 5 state qualifiers and 10 ss qualifiers and they rag dolled us.. but im lln our defense it was one of the best teams in Indiana history .. mauer teched me and it was humbling to say the least lol.. and new castle and cathedral also have a rivalry history 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Trust me us new castle alum know the wrath of  Goebels Mater dei lol.. beat us bk 2 bk years for the state title when both teams were ranked nationally..and did I mention in 01' team state when we got 5th they beat us by the largest deficit in tourney history..66-3 and we weren't no scrubs with 5 state qualifiers and 10 ss qualifiers and they rag dolled us.. but im lln our defense it was one of the best teams in Indiana history .. mauer teched me and it was humbling to say the least lol

So did hearing Maurer on the broadcast tonight haunt you?  ha ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Yeah you're right. He's not in the running for the Brennan Cosgrove Trophy if that makes you feel any better. 

 

3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Yeah you're right. He's not in the running for the Brennan Cosgrove Trophy if that makes you feel any better. 

 

3 hours ago, Brian said:

He had to show some form of assertiveness tonight...he certainly didn't in the match with Hunt.  Sour grapes, I know...

Wow!!!!  Can Jordan win a match because he knows how to win?  Jordan did exactly what he had to do!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

So did hearing Maurer on the broadcast tonight haunt you?  ha ha

Lol nah the old country buffet after our 5th place finish soothed my soul that year ?... but in saying that NC lost 4 times to the hands of EMD from 94-01...and it wasn't fun any of those times I promise lol..But emd beat everybody back then, so I don't dwell on it... the aura of invincibility they had back then was strong.. their fans also were a great weapon too.. you couldn't hear yourself think once they got going.. they def represented to the fullest!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Lol nah the old country buffet after our 5th place finish soothed my soul that year ?... but in saying that NC lost 4 times to the hands of EMD from 94-01...and it wasn't fun any of those times I promise lol..But emd beat everybody back then, so I don't dwell on it... the aura of invincibility they had back then was strong.. their fans also were a great weapon too.. you couldn't hear yourself think once they got going.. they def represented to the fullest!

Those days of the fans are a thing of the past at Mater Dei in my opinion. The number of wrestlers have been dropping in the wrestling room and also through their feeder league. Only those who love the sport are following it but the kids aren’t the same either it is a different look for them and it’s sad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a gauntlet of a season starting with 2 Top 10 duals out of the gates in Avon and Warren. We were also one of the few programs to hit both the Traicoff and the Al Smith. We wrestled against 8 of the Top 10 programs in the state (sans Brownsburg and EMD). I am convinced that our schedule had these boys battle tested by the time the State Series came around. 4 in the finals with a couple near misses in Bailey and Walendzak showed the team unity that these guys shared. They were definitely wrestling for each other. You could see it in Slivka's face when he clinched it. The Indy Star article says it all.

Better news is we are returning 8 of our 10 finalists next year and adding Zeke Seltzer to the mix. Should be a fun couple years ahead for the Irish. I am grateful to our coaching staff for their preparation. Congrats on the trophy, all. Proud to be Irish.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Trust me us new castle alum know the wrath of  Goebels Mater dei lol.. beat us bk 2 bk years for the state title when both teams were ranked nationally..and did I mention in 01' team state when we got 5th they beat us by the largest deficit in tourney history..66-3 and we weren't no scrubs with 5 state qualifiers and 10 ss qualifiers and they rag dolled us.. but im lln our defense it was one of the best teams in Indiana history .. mauer teched me and it was humbling to say the least lol.. and new castle and cathedral also have a rivalry history 

MD wrestlers  is on another level back then... but their fans were on another level too. At state every year you could hear them roar and take over the crowd. 

Craig Weinzapfel beat me in about 25 seconds and it was the worse pain I had ever been in during a wrestling match. Those guys were brutal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.