Melloh and Mulkey

grappleapple

BS call all the way around. That ref is a huge supporter of the Irish and the CYO program so he will give the benefit to the mcginns and boys. Mulkey got robbed and that’s all there is to it. 

All I can say is they need to find a way to keep refs from supporting schools out of there matches and do a better job at it. 

Cant blame Snyder for being pissed because I would have been too. He musta said something to Russel to get tossed. 

18 minutes ago, Oldtimer said:

BS call all the way around. That ref is a huge supporter of the Irish and the CYO program so he will give the benefit to the mcginns and boys. Mulkey got robbed and that’s all there is to it. 

Whoa. Is that statement accurate? Can anyone else on the forum back that up?

(Not doubting you, Oldtimer...I'm just curious.)

4 minutes ago, slice60 said:

Whoa. Is that statement accurate? Can anyone else on the forum back that up?

(Not doubting you, Oldtimer...I'm just curious.)

I heard the same thing this morning, might even be a IC grad. 

At at least he saved Bobby Cox the need to come out of the stands and change the rules for the IC wrestler that shat himself at the New Castle semi-state

27 minutes ago, Coach Green said:

This would be correct. Big Irish supporter and Alumni. Even against other Catholic schools he is pro-Irish. 

Well this is even better.  Not only do the Irish get to openly recruit, they also got an official in the bag.

For the record, this is not a shot at Melloh, who wrestled his backside off.  But all the advantages for his school get tiresome.

And word on the street is that he’s not only a Cathedral supporter, but also an alumni.

Edited by Kookie953

1 hour ago, 1prouddad said:

nah nah nah nah

hey hey hey hey 

tough call call for Mulkey, but you can't put a match in the hands of an official. 

1proud, you bring to a discussion what a hyena brings to an opera.  

"you can't put the match in the hands of an official" PLUS

quoting the song that any sports fan has heard for the millionth time!

what insight!  what originality!  

genius!

The front headlock should have been stalemated after 8-10 seconds max when neither wrestler was improving position. That would have left 10-14 seconds for the match to still be decided by the wrestlers. Unfortunately the official didn't call the stalemate and then compounded his mistake by making a more egregious one. Every year this guy makes numerous head scratching calls.

38 minutes ago, hook and half said:

1proud, you bring to a discussion what a hyena brings to an opera.  

"you can't put the match in the hands of an official" PLUS

quoting the song that any sports fan has heard for the millionth time!

what insight!  what originality!  

genius!

Was my singing that bad? Speaking of discussions, after seeing your reviews and comments through the year, I'll take this comment here with a grain of salt. 

46 minutes ago, hook and half said:

I have never seen someone called for stalling, but that does not mean it is not a thing.

Can anyone quote a rule, rather than their strong opinion?

Here are the two rules I’d think need to be referenced if you want to make a cogent argument either way.

5-23 Stalemate

It is a stalemate when contestants are interlocked in a position other than a pinning situation, in which neither wrestler can improve their respective position(s); or either competitor has the hands locked around one leg of the opponent to prevent scoring. The referee shall, as soon as possible, stop the match and wrestling shall be resumed as from an out of bounds. Hands locked repeatedly around one leg of an opponent to prevent scoring is considered stalling.

5-24 Stalling

Article 1. Each wrestler is required to make an honest attempt to stay within the 10 foot circle and wrestle aggressively, regardless of position of the time or score of the match. Action is to be maintained throughout the match by the contestants wrestling aggressively whether in the top, bottom or neutral position and both contestants are equally responsible for initiating action. It is the responsibility of contestants, coaches and referees to avoid the use of stalling tactics or allowing the use thereof. This shall be demonstrated by those responsible with strict enforcement by referees.

Article 2. When a referee recognizes stalling occurring at any time and in any position, the offender shall be warned and thereafter violations shall be penalized when stalling recurs. These provisions require the referee to penalize stalling without hesitation...

Article 4. It is stalling when the contestant in the advantage position:

a) does not wrestle aggressively and attempts to secure a fall, except when the wrestler intentionally releases the opponent in order to thereafter immediately attempt to secure a takedown.

1 hour ago, Powerline said:

I heard the same thing this morning, might even be a IC grad. 

If this is the case, whoever in charge of mat assignments should have assigned another official for the match. He also could have recused himself to prevent any issues of bias from coming into the match.

Edited by runner-up

Coach Snyder is a Bulldog, in more ways than one. I’m certain he knew the ramifications not only for Blake, but for the team. It was a bad call, and if all is true above, it was a poor job mat assignment. I’m not questioning the integrity of the ref, as I don’t know him, but if he has a connection to the kid or the program, he should not have been on that mat. Sometimes familiarity and human nature can unintentionally override judgement. That’s a stalemate all day, about 10 seconds earlier.

19 minutes ago, TripleB said:

How many coaches are saying Snyder’s actions were ridiculous? I’m guessing most commenting are keyboard coaches 

I think he’ll regret it. Yes, his wrestler got shafted....yes it potentially cost him a state title etc. 

look ok at how Fattore handled the loss..

now, Brownsburg is without their head coach when their team is fighting for a state title and could use his coaching. 

When life isn’t fair, you keep your head up and move forward. 

Disclaimer- I haven’t watched one wrestling match in person this year so I’m not even on the level of a keyboard coach. And I think he’s a great coach and one of the best Indiana has ever seen. Nothing but respect for him. 

49 minutes ago, TripleB said:

How many coaches are saying Snyder’s actions were ridiculous? I’m guessing most commenting are keyboard coaches 

That’s beside the point. don’t think anyone is disputing his actions or repercussions, even for a boneheaded call like that.

they may understand the frustration & anger, but know the penalty. I’d expect you will see their coach with a sincere apology.

If McGinnley had any honor, in a big match for the state final at stake, and seeing an Cathedral alum and Program benefactor on mat to ref, with two kids that have had epic matches prior, would have sought a new ref.

3 hours ago, Oldtimer said:

All I can say is they need to find a way to keep refs from supporting schools out of there matches and do a better job at it. 

Cant blame Snyder for being pissed because I would have been too. He musta said something to Russel to get tossed. 

Careful calling out the integrity of one of the most liked and successful officials in the state of Indiana. He's a great guy, has been around the block a time or two, and knows his stuff. 

Did Mulkey attempt to improve his positioning off of the front headlock? No. It doesn't matter if you agree fully with the call or not.  It's clear he didn't try to improve so stalling is something that can be called.  Could it have been called a stalemate? Of course.

42 minutes ago, Powerline said:

That’s beside the point. don’t think anyone is disputing his actions or repercussions, even for a boneheaded call like that.

they may understand the frustration & anger, but know the penalty. I’d expect you will see their coach with a sincere apology.

If McGinnley had any honor, in a big match for the state final at stake, and seeing an Cathedral alum and Program benefactor on mat to ref, with two kids that have had epic matches prior, would have sought a new ref.

Now we've gone from calling out the integrity of the official to questioning the honor of the coach of the winning wrestler?  You guys need to really check yourselves. 

20 minutes ago, Coach Brown said:

Anyone have the video? 

You’ll have to watch it on Track. I tired to upload some footage but couldn’t make it work.

I’ll describe as best as I can.

Situation: Tied 1-1 heading into second overtime. Melloh takes down and Mulkey rides a spiral and follows the whole time. Mulkey goes down for the second 30s. Melloh cuts him making it 2-1. 

Period starts and Mulkey immediately snaps Melloh into a standing front head lock and locks his hands at the armpit, not attempting to score. He snaps him down a few times, but they come right back up to their feet.

At 20 left, the announcer acknowledges that Mulkey appears to be stalling as Melloh continues to fight into him (front head still locked up tight). He said something along the lines of “Mulkey will just try to hold on here, with a couple of stalls left to give.” The announcer doesn’t realize both wrestlers were warned for stalling in the 3rd period, so a stall call would result in 1 point.

Mulkey snaps Melloh down to the mat with about 12 seconds left and continues to just hold tight. As Melloh fights, the ref penalizes Mulkey for stalling with about 5 seconds left and they stay in that same position until time runs out.

If you are a Brownsburg guy, I get being mad: your wrestler was in an offensive position (controlling the front head). But I get the argument that Mulkey was stalling. He wasn’t working to score. He was attempting to hold on.

It is a tough call. A lot of refs would be afraid to make that kind of call.

Edited by runner-up
Media