Best Weight Ever?

bluechipper

The talk of this year’s state finals is the depth of the 126 lb. weight class. We’re all expecting some wild results and it could POSSIBLY be the best weight ever, but that’s subjective. It has sparked a discussion in my friend group on what is the best weight ever in Indiana. Here are our results:

2009 103 (Note: 9 state titles & 3 runner-up finishes)

2011 112 (Note: LeCount, eventual 2x State Champ didn’t even qualify)

2012 126 (Note: Featured Nick Crume, Cody LeCount, Kyle Ayersman, and Cody Phillips) 

2013 106 (Note: Five state champions in this weight in Red, Hildebrandt, Pepple, Lee, and Smith)

2013 285 (Note: Three Fargo AAs in Bernard, Streck, and Winfield, four nationally ranked wrestlers total with Hemmelgarn)

2014 106 (Note: Colton Cummings didn’t place at this weight)

2014 220 (Note: Four nationally ranked and undefeated champs from each semi-state, two of which were Fargo AAs)

2014 285 (Note: Four nationally ranked heavies in the fray with two as Fargo AAs)

2015 120 (Note: State Champs Brendan Black and Jeremiah Reitz were eliminated Friday night)

2015 285 (Note: Three nationally ranked heavies)

2016 220 (Note: Four undefeated nationally ranked semi-state champs were in the fray.)

I think what makes this year stand out so much is that all of these wrestlers accomplishments have already happened. In some prior years, you can say there were so many total state champs, but that would come later in their careers. 126 this year already has 3 state titles, as well as more runnerups, semifinalists and other accolades. 

4 hours ago, bluechipper said:

The talk of this year’s state finals is the depth of the 126 lb. weight class. We’re all expecting some wild results and it could POSSIBLY be the best weight ever, but that’s subjective. It has sparked a discussion in my friend group on what is the best weight ever in Indiana. Here are our results:

2009 103 (Note: 9 state titles & 3 runner-up finishes)

2011 112 (Note: LeCount, eventual 2x State Champ didn’t even qualify)

2012 126 (Note: Featured Nick Crume, Cody LeCount, Kyle Ayersman, and Cody Phillips) 

2013 106 (Note: Five state champions in this weight in Red, Hildebrandt, Pepple, Lee, and Smith)

2013 285 (Note: Three Fargo AAs in Bernard, Streck, and Winfield, four nationally ranked wrestlers total with Hemmelgarn)

2014 106 (Note: Colton Cummings didn’t place at this weight)

2014 220 (Note: Four nationally ranked and undefeated champs from each semi-state, two of which were Fargo AAs)

2014 285 (Note: Four nationally ranked heavies in the fray with two as Fargo AAs)

2015 120 (Note: State Champs Brendan Black and Jeremiah Reitz were eliminated Friday night)

2015 285 (Note: Three nationally ranked heavies)

2016 220 (Note: Four undefeated nationally ranked semi-state champs were in the fray.)

2013–106–also had Hudkins

17 hours ago, Thor said:

I think what makes this year stand out so much is that all of these wrestlers accomplishments have already happened. In some prior years, you can say there were so many total state champs, but that would come later in their careers. 126 this year already has 3 state titles, as well as more runnerups, semifinalists and other accolades. 

119 in 2006 also had 3 returning state champs, and none of them made the finals. 

19 hours ago, Thor said:

I agree with your take, I think when comparing deepest/best weight classes, I would only include the ones in which the accomplishments were from previous years.

Most of your lower weight classes, which the majority are underclassmen, will always be stacked once you look back at them.  120/126 usually are the classes that we get to see the meat grinders, of course this is probably because the aforementioned underclassmen will eventually end up right around these weight classes when they hit their Senior years.

I have a bias because of my brother. But 106 in 2012 & 106 in 2013 were pretty stacked weight classes when you consider how many state titles those guys ended up winning. Plus a bunch of those guys are still kicking butt and competing in college. 

As far as current achievements, we can all say 126 is pretty loaded. After we look back like blue chipper's original said, this weight class will be even tougher once you add all their final accolades, since you'll add at least 1 more champ(this year) and who knows how many more with several still having a year or two left to gain some more titles.

Should be a fun weight class to watch, along with all the other potential match ups. It's like Christmas all over again!

On 2/14/2018 at 10:14 AM, XCard said:

Most of your lower weight classes, which the majority are underclassmen, will always be stacked once you look back at them.  

I agree, especially at 106. It's more like a future stars division. Also, it's hard to compare a lower weight's total accomplishments with an upper weight's total accomplishments because except for the rare Mitch Sligas or Mason Parris's of the world, they don't win titles until the last couple years of their careers. That 120-132 is the sweet spot where we're going to have wall-to-wall guys with past credentials because it's physically big enough to have those juniors and seniors who already filled their trophy cases with 106 and 113 medals. The same quality juniors and seniors at 152 and up, for example, probably didn't place as highly as freshmen and sophomores.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.