Jump to content
headlock83

Unsportsman Like Conduct Call on Peele

Recommended Posts

I am by no means a fan of Portage wrestling or their fans.  However, I have a problem with the ULC call against Peele at the conclusion of his 120 championship against Triana.  After the buzzer sounded, Peele did a celebration where he simulated snuffing out  a cigarette butt with his foot.  The two officials calling the match didn't make any call on it.  An official in the chairs took offence to it and made the unsportsman like call.  Granted, Portage was so far ahead, they could have deducted 40 points and it wouldn't have made a difference.  My point is, what constitutes a celebration going too far.  Peele didn't stand over his opponent in a taunting way, and I saw nothing too unsportsman like.  I personally think it was an emotional call based on the success Portage was having yesterday.  I fail to see a difference in what this kid did and the many kids I have seen throw their ankle bands in the air and simulating shooting them with a gun, or doing a back flip.  The kid was happy he had won and celebrated.  The rules either need to be more clear, or all forms of celebration should be banned which would be ridiculous.  I didn't get the call.  If that point would have meant the difference of a team championship, this would have been an atomic bomb of a topic.  On a side note, Portage did show up to wrestle.  I haven't seen semi state domination like that since the Snyder coached Michawaka days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was more to the celebration than just acting like snuffing out a cigar butt on the ground.  That was the ending, you must not have watched the whole thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of on the same subject, nothing was called, but I could not believe how many wrestlers threw fits, were forced to shake hands with their opponents, or failed to shake hands with the other coaches after a tough loss in Fort Wayne yesterday. I understand shaking hands with the opposing coaches is surely not a rule, and premier wrestlers in college rarely do it, but I believe it shows class, respect, and sportsmanship. I didn't see anything too concerning with the victory celebrations, and rather enjoyed the 220 backflip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, julio said:

There was more to the celebration than just acting like snuffing out a cigar butt on the ground.  That was the ending, you must not have watched the whole thing.

You are correct in the sense that I don't know what he said if anything, but I watched the entire celebration and saw nothing worthy of the call.  Now, if he threw in a celebratory F bomb, I get it.  But since the officials calling the match did nothing, I'm guessing it wasn't for profanity.  Still don't get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, julio said:

There was more to the celebration than just acting like snuffing out a cigar butt on the ground.  That was the ending, you must not have watched the whole thing.

I'd love to hear what you saw that I didn't. I had a great vantage point, and I've rewatched it on Region Sports Network... the celebration was 2-3 seconds long. Threw his arms up, discount double check, then squashed the "cigarette". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DrunkJoeNamath said:

I'd love to hear what you saw that I didn't. I had a great vantage point, and I've rewatched it on Region Sports Network... the celebration was 2-3 seconds long. Threw his arms up, discount double check, then squashed the "cigarette". 

That's all I saw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve seen kids go crazy after matches and not get called for anything and have also seen kids get called for very minor celebrations. Officials need to be more aware of the emotions that are running high and the kids might not be thinking as much about their actions after punching that ticket to state they’ve been working their tail off for four years or that championship they just won. I personally enjoy some of the creative celebrations some wrestlers come up with. I think most things should be excepted as long as it is not disrespectful to the opponent, or too over the top. That’s just how I personally see the matter 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from the opposing corner of that celebration, Yeah it was a little much seeing as how 2 weeks in a row Tylor Triana did not celebrate once in that manor. I do not think that a ULC was necessary. Brock did apologize to me for his actions and bottom line Brock is a great kid. I wish Brock luck at state and hopefully we can have that match again under the lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimtown 138 said:

Karma’s a bitch...

Man I hope so!   As his dad, I know my son would never lose if “karma” was an actual thing!  Lol!  Did he overreact?  Yeah, maybe.  He also immediately felt regret and without prompting took it upon himself (remember a 16 year old kid) to go speak to Hobart’s coaches, Tylor, Tylor’s parents, our coaches, his teammates, his family, and others. You need to remember that Tylor (AWESOME KID AND FAMILY!) and Brock have been very good friends, teammates and wrestling partners for years at RWA. Brock was extremely excited to win against someone he has so much respect for.  My son...no I’m sorry....my CHILDREN have been raised to be respectful and humble, and both are.  I couldn’t be prouder of Brock, the man he is becoming, the student he is, the friend he is, the brother he is, the teammate he is, and the fact that wrestler doesn’t even come close to the top of the list of great things he is!  He also would like it pointed out he squished a bug off his shoulder, not a “cigarette” lol!  Man I also really hope your “karma” comes back twice as hard on him this week!  Thanks for the motivation too!  Love the Peele Family! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cosgrove said:

Cause then you actually win a state title. 

And? It’s gotta be all or nothing. There was nothing wrong with the celebration after beating a guy that has beat him the past two weeks. Emotions run high in those types of matches. I’m just saying, all or nothing. And it wasn’t even an official that was reffing the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, montymo118 said:

Man I hope so!   As his dad, I know my son would never lose if “karma” was an actual thing!  Lol!  Did he overreact?  Yeah, maybe.  He also immediately felt regret and without prompting took it upon himself (remember a 16 year old kid) to go speak to Hobart’s coaches, Tylor, Tylor’s parents, our coaches, his teammates, his family, and others. You need to remember that Tylor (AWESOME KID AND FAMILY!) and Brock have been very good friends, teammates and wrestling partners for years at RWA. Brock was extremely excited to win against someone he has so much respect for.  My son...no I’m sorry....my CHILDREN have been raised to be respectful and humble, and both are.  I couldn’t be prouder of Brock, the man he is becoming, the student he is, the friend he is, the brother he is, the teammate he is, and the fact that wrestler doesn’t even come close to the top of the list of great things he is!  He also would like it pointed out he squished a bug off his shoulder, not a “cigarette” lol!  Man I also really hope your “karma” comes back twice as hard on him this week!  Thanks for the motivation too!  Love the Peele Family! 

Well then, he should have credit for a freebee!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, headlock83 said:

I am by no means a fan of Portage wrestling or their fans.  However, I have a problem with the ULC call against Peele at the conclusion of his 120 championship against Triana.  After the buzzer sounded, Peele did a celebration where he simulated snuffing out  a cigarette butt with his foot.  The two officials calling the match didn't make any call on it.  An official in the chairs took offence to it and made the unsportsman like call.  Granted, Portage was so far ahead, they could have deducted 40 points and it wouldn't have made a difference.  My point is, what constitutes a celebration going too far.  Peele didn't stand over his opponent in a taunting way, and I saw nothing too unsportsman like.  I personally think it was an emotional call based on the success Portage was having yesterday.  I fail to see a difference in what this kid did and the many kids I have seen throw their ankle bands in the air and simulating shooting them with a gun, or doing a back flip.  The kid was happy he had won and celebrated.  The rules either need to be more clear, or all forms of celebration should be banned which would be ridiculous.  I didn't get the call.  If that point would have meant the difference of a team championship, this would have been an atomic bomb of a topic.  On a side note, Portage did show up to wrestle.  I haven't seen semi state domination like that since the Snyder coached Michawaka days. 

Portages 45 point win was impressive and they are stacked . But you don't have to go back to the Snyder coached Mishawaka teams to of seen  Semistate domination . The 2015 Penn team(Ihsaa state champs ) were pretty good . They won the Merrillville Semistate by 50.5 points . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure much can top the Peele family response awesome to see Brocks family support and defend both kids. When I first saw Brocks response to his victory I didn't really know what to think, I'm a Brickie to my core but instantly I remebered the class Brock showed in losses to Triana at sectionals and regionals, I also thought he deserves to celebrate such a big win. See the region is really a big family we really stick together rivals at times for sure but at the end of the day 2 great kids going to the state finals hopefully to met again in the finals its Great! Anyone would have reacted after that win hats off to Peele and Triana for being class acts all year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.