Angel to head coach

Im not sold, that this would be the best fit for Indiana. Don't get me wrong, any change at this time would be welcomed. I realize Fred (AD) and company have zero knowledge of the sport. But, the wrestling community would gladly help in a new coach search. Someone who would be compatible with the constraints, if any, that the Indiana athletic department would have. Salary, assistant money fund, and such. And this help would be free of charge. Bring in a few candidates for Indiana to talk to and then make a selection.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MD92 said:

After scoring 10 points at the Big 10's, the search for a new head wrestling coach at IU should begin immediately!

Wisconsin just lost their coach Barry Davis (resignation), so their will be one Big10 job some coaches will be looking into.

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Wisconsin just lost their coach Barry Davis (resignation), so their will be one Big10 job some coaches will be looking into.

I hope that doesn't negatively affect our local by Paul Konrath......

1 hour ago, backtothemat said:

I hope that doesn't negatively affect our local by Paul Konrath......

As with most wrestlers, it likely depends on the wrestlers general instinct about the new coach if he feels like staying put or asking for a transfer.  

Prizlaff spent a considerable amount of time there as an asset. so he could be a consideration.  Not sure how the administration felt about his time there or they parted ways on decent terms,  but many wrestlers seemed to benifit while he was on the staff.  I’m sure a few long time Big10 Asst. Coaches and RTC coaches could be interested in moving to a main DI role.  I’d almost guess Askren, a Wisconsin native, would put out a feeler  but his lack of college coaching experience will shoot that down before it gets to serious talks.  

Matt you have defended Goldman from for years, tell us how you fell the team and each coach performed this year.   We had guys top 14-20 not even wrestle to their seed.  What is status of current team and coaching without east coast coaches and wrestlers

16 hours ago, MattM said:

I’d almost guess Askren, a Wisconsin native, would put out a feeler  but his lack of college coaching experience will shoot that down before it gets to serious talks.  

Id hire that guy in a heartbeat if I'm Wisconsin.  But thats just me and probably why I'm not a D1 Athletic Director. 

13 hours ago, Bronxbomber said:

Matt you have defended Goldman from for years, tell us how you fell the team and each coach performed this year.   We had guys top 14-20 not even wrestle to their seed.  What is status of current team and coaching without east coast coaches and wrestlers

But you still keeping up this same tired argument.  All I’ve ever said and ask for from you is two thing.  1. Stop polluting every single college thread with a need to turn it into something about IU. It’s been nice for awhile actually see some college threads that you didn’t turn into a IU bashing moment.   Thanks for that.  2.  Stop trying to badmouthing any positive results the IU wrestlers actually get by somehow making it about a Goldman negative.   Those guys are working hard and doing what they can within the system.  There is not need to drag them or their accomplishments down just to take another poke at the head coach. 

I’ve never directly defended coach Goldman or for that matter attacked him negatively.  I actually make it a point to not make personal judgements about the coaches or wrestlers unless it is a very extreme situation.  And no a poor team or individual record is not an extreme situation worth my personal judgement.   What I have done in the past is draw the boards attention many positive accomplishments that college wrestlers from Indiana or from a Indiana college have done.  Then tried to adk you to stop turning every single thread in this forum into a off topic bashing season due to your vendetta against one coach.  If in your eyes that puts me in the Goldman support wagon that is fine, but in mine it puts me on bandwagon for supporting college wrestling as it relates to this state.  

And as I’ve asked of you many times before please make an attempt to contribute anything additional to this college board other than just your Goldman vendetta.  Unfortunately I’m not sure that’s ever occurs, which has made it very clear your interest isn’t anything related to helping improve this college wrestling forum.   

23 hours ago, Bronxbomber said:

I've been following the team for 20 years or so, and I'm not a fan of Goldman by any stretch, but I'm not sure what you mean by the impact of East Coast wrestlers.  Perhaps I'm missing someone, but how many All-Americans do you count in that time?  I count 3 (Dubuque, Walsh, Becker).

The truth is not bashing. Goldman had success for a period of time but in the last 8 years they have only won 4 Big Ten duals. 6 years they didn't win one. In that span Goldman is 4-60. It's time for us to step up and ask for change. If Duane was in any other sport he would have been fired a long time ago. 

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, Bronxbomber said:

Bomber, Matt has a job to do here, on this web site. One of them is to relay news of wrestling in as a neutral position as possible. That means personal opinions aside. With that said, Matt you need to also keep the chiding of posters to yourself., if you don't like the posts of Bomber. you cant chide him in return. Two way street. I cant see your opinion any more important than Bombers.

But ,the way I see it , this is what the FORUM is for. voicing opinions, or not voicing. NOT chiding someone for their views on any subject, and coaches programs are not above scrutiny. Your choice.

21 hours ago, Disco said:

Bomber, Matt has a job to do here, on this web site. One of them is to relay news of wrestling in as a neutral position as possible. That means personal opinions aside. With that said, Matt you need to also keep the chiding of posters to yourself., if you don't like the posts of Bomber. you cant chide him in return. Two way street. I cant see your opinion any more important than Bombers.

But ,the way I see it , this is what the FORUM is for. voicing opinions, or not voicing. NOT chiding someone for their views on any subject, and coaches programs are not above scrutiny. Your choice.

No issue with his scrutiny towards a coach he doesn’t like.  If that’s all he wants to portray in the board then that’s on him.  The issue I have is when that turns into him litter every thread on the college board with those remarks which at some points included negative remarks towards the programs wrestlers.  The only “chiding” I see coming from me is asking that he stop polluting every topic the board and stop harassing me by bulking me into the negative comments just because I ask that it stop.  

Maybe you missed the previous several years where every thread about IU wrestlers achievement were meet with him taking jabs at their choice of college and turned into Goldman attack.  Reguardless of your feeling towards the coach, there is no reason to disrespect the accomplisments of those young men who are working hard.  But at least those attacks by him were slightly on topic since it did bring up IU.  However, I see no reason that his trolling of Goldman to then be added to and ruin threads about about Purdue wrestling, threads about former Indiana wrestlers at a program like Linsey Wilson, and threads about wrestlers committing to college program.  The board isn’t frequented enough as it is, but that kind of garbage isn’t helping more people want to visit.

Confining his vendetta to a few on topic posts would be great.  I’ve even suggested he try contribute something useful to the college board too if he wants to keep coming around. But nothing has came of that other than the continuing to bulk me into those negative IU comments.  Can you really say that’s warrented based on what has been asked of him?  

However, I do appreciate his absence for most of this college season so that some of these college topics were able to stay on topic.  And at least at this point he’s managed to keep this rhetoric to a few topics which actually focus on IU.  If he can keep to that path it’s a great improvement over the previous couple years. 

If you feel I’m asking too much then that is fine.  But if we can’t continue to have a college board that is able to have functioning topics then I’ll be another one that doesn’t see a reason to add to it or visit here anymore.  I’ll leave it at that cause he’s heard the same suggestions for at least three years now and all I’ve seen from it is more blow back and other than some of this season a lot of trashed threads about Indiana wrestlers in college.  

Edited by MattM

Disco, thanks for your response.   I am all for growing wrestling and supporting the wrestlers.  I know Matt states I derail all positive posts on wrestlers and attack them.   If that's what he feels then I am a sorry.  IU is a Big Ten university and yes they don't invest in wrestling like their other sports, but I am sure it is more then most MAC, SoC and all those other smaller conferences.   

MSU, Wisconsin! Oklahoma to name a few changed coaches because they were not succeeding.  Why can't IU.

Damn someone tell me how many kids have left IU over the last five years.  Now I don't know if it was Goldman , Simmons or the wrestlers but damn there was a lot

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, Disco said:

uhhhhhh...................what is "chiding" ?  and does it need a "#" in front of it ?

Edited by JMILL

The agrivation of all this  Matt, Bomber, is the fact Fred Glass and the president ,michael McRobie won’t step up to the plate here. There is no doubt ,in any reasonable persons mind, wrestling at Indiana university needs a change of leadership. So for the sake of this forum,board ,Matt, more people would contribute if indiana had success! Have you in fact emailed, one or both of these leaders, to voice an opinion? Like wise how about you, bomber? Or anyone else on this forum? After 4 or 5 years of this complacency I see how this grates on a person.  Hard to look at other programs and make any positive remarks, about Duane,as bad as this sounds. 

Edited by Disco

Disco, yes I have multiple times with little response or responses with value.  Started when my kid was there 

But let's pull for the wrestlers this weekend so they know they have support from someone as we all agree Glass, Goldman do not have them first