Semi State alternate?

1981cam

The alternate is the first person beat out by the eventual champion at regionals.  If a team has to scratch a wrestler, that team should contact the alternate's school as well as the semi-state tournament director. (At least that is the way it's supposed to be done at the regional level.  My 195 was out this weekend.  I contacted the alternate's coach and the Regional site and everything went according to plan. We also were the alternate for another weight because we placed 5th at sectional.  He went to regionals just in case someone missed weight, didn't pass skin check, etc.

6 minutes ago, wildcats2020 said:

the first person beat by the semi state qualifier that went out for what ever reason would be the alternate 

^ This is incorrect.

It's the one eliminated by the regional champ.  I'm not saying it's the best method.  That is just what the IHSAA uses.

1 minute ago, wildcats2020 said:

I don't know where you heard this

Its been like that for a while.  I'm sure its in the IHSAA winter bulletin or some release.  To clarify, Joe is correct when he said its the person losing to regional champ,  but its the loser in the first round. 

At semi-state its the person who loses to the SS champ in the ticket round who gets the alternate.

If it matters.  This is how much sense our system makes at the moment.  Our 152 pound wrestler got 5th at Sectionals.  There was an injury so he got put in.  The kid that beat him at Regionals was the Regional champ.  So the 5th placer from our Sectionals is now the Semi-State alternate.

3 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

If it matters.  This is how much sense our system makes at the moment.  Our 152 pound wrestler got 5th at Sectionals.  There was an injury so he got put in.  The kid that beat him at Regionals was the Regional champ.  So the 5th placer from our Sectionals is now the Semi-State alternate.

It doesn't but the IHSAA is more worried about eliminating FF and getting butts in the seats more than advancing the next best kid.  IF they were worried about the best tournament bracket possible they would use a proven result like the highest sectional placers eliminated in the quarterfinals as the alternate.  Then in the event of a tie in placement the wrestlers from the regional winners sectional or the one that lost to the the highest regional placer would go.

The one thing I am trying to wrap my head around is having to pay $10 to bring an alternate to East Chicago and they get their money returned if they wrestle.  Is this the same for all three other sites?  These policies should be established and printed in the Winter Bulletin and be the same for all four.  I know last year we showed up not expecting to pay for alternates and extra coaches and paid $60 at the gate. Hoping to hear from the other sites on this.

29 minutes ago, BFlatt said:

The one thing I am trying to wrap my head around is having to pay $10 to bring an alternate to East Chicago and they get their money returned if they wrestle.  Is this the same for all three other sites?  These policies should be established and printed in the Winter Bulletin and be the same for all four.  I know last year we showed up not expecting to pay for alternates and extra coaches and paid $60 at the gate. Hoping to hear from the other sites on this.

That is how it has always been or supposed to be.

34 minutes ago, BFlatt said:

New Castle has been like that for as long as I can remember.

We had an unusual situation regarding alternates. Our 285 weighed in and made weight easily. After weigh-ins the officials removed him from participating because of a skin condition, even though he had a valid, signed slip. That is their prerogative. The fifth place was unavailable so a forfeit was entered in his place. The wrestler he was supposed to face was the eventual regional champion. So, now the forfeit is the alternate instead of someone who could actually participate if needed.

I got word on how California does their tourney.  One thing they do is that they don't even have an alternate at any level.  Which is what we should do if we can't find the true alternate.  Why bother.

14 minutes ago, EazyBLACK7 said:

So if the kid that can’t wrestle places second or first at his regional do the 3rd and 4th placers move to the respective spots and the alternate take the 4th placers seed?

Yes everyone moves up and the alternate assumes the 4th place position.

Saw at semi-state a few years ago where a 3rd placer had a "nice" draw, but was moved up and got a much worse one.

Just now, Y2CJ41 said:

Yes everyone moves up and the alternate assumes the 4th place position.

Saw at semi-state a few years ago where a 3rd placer had a "nice" draw, but was moved up and got a much worse one.

Is that a song by Alanis Morrissette?

"It is like having a good seed in Indiana, only to be taken away!"

3 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

At Richmond regional in the 126 finals Gabe Phillips was hurt , I hope he is doing well, but I can't see him coming back by next weekend, however he is listed on the semi state bracket. Does anyone know how he is & if he will be able to wrestle at semi state? He is from Centerville. 

I heard it was a dislocation not broken but possible ligament damage.  Not sure if going to wrestle or not though. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.