Class Wrestling - Expected Outcomes

Westforkwhite

1 hour ago, wrestleliferfan said:

We just started a thread on this earlier today. Great minds think alike. 

Indeed. I just wondered what people thought the greatest value to IN wrestling would be created by classing.

Is it fairness? Is it participation numbers? Additional exposure/recognition from Colleges? Or some other reason.

2 hours ago, Westforkwhite said:

Indeed. I just wondered what people thought the greatest value to IN wrestling would be created by classing.

Is it fairness? Is it participation numbers? Additional exposure/recognition from Colleges? Or some other reason.

I really don't want to get into the class wrestling debate.  I don't think fairness applies here.  Life ain't always fair and that includes wrestling.  There are 14 weight classes, so there should be 14 state champions period.  My opinion has always been the same on this and I'm sure that won't be changed.

Participation won't increase much in my opinion by just adding another class or classes to our great sport.  I believe to increase participation is very difficult because the best way in my opinion is for a program, school or community to grow participation is for the coaches in that community to commit an extraordinary amount of voluntary time building a youth program from the ground.  In the communities that have such programs the participation is strong and programs thrive.  The unfortunate part is that in many communities, the coaches do not have that much time to commit to building a program from the ground. Maybe the best answer is for more of us to volunteer our time to help build youth programs in more communities across the state.

As far as college exposure, I can't speak for how college coaches feel about classed or not.

6 hours ago, WOC said:

I really don't want to get into the class wrestling debate.  I don't think fairness applies here.  Life ain't always fair and that includes wrestling.  There are 14 weight classes, so there should be 14 state champions period.  My opinion has always been the same on this and I'm sure that won't be changed.

Participation won't increase much in my opinion by just adding another class or classes to our great sport.  I believe to increase participation is very difficult because the best way in my opinion is for a program, school or community to grow participation is for the coaches in that community to commit an extraordinary amount of voluntary time building a youth program from the ground.  In the communities that have such programs the participation is strong and programs thrive.  The unfortunate part is that in many communities, the coaches do not have that much time to commit to building a program from the ground. Maybe the best answer is for more of us to volunteer our time to help build youth programs in more communities across the state.

As far as college exposure, I can't speak for how college coaches feel about classed or not.

It truly takes extraordinary effort on the part of coaches, volunteers and parents to build programs. Coaches especially, a lot of them are putting full time hours into wrestling despite having full time jobs and families. We cant expect everyone to be willing to make that commitment. 

As far as the debate goes, I'd love to see the never class folks recognize that there are some good aspects to class that cant be dismissed. I also would like like the pro class folks to acknowledge that increasing participation and keeping numbers up is an unlikely outcome of class wrestling. 

We may never find complete agreement on the issue as a whole but we can agree on the sub points and that will help with the ability to implement meaningful changes to the sport in Indiana.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.