If wrestling was a class sport........

wrestleliferfan

1 minute ago, UncleJimmy said:

UncleJimmy

Did you really need to ask that again today? Was last week's/months/years class wrestling dissertation not enough for you? Carry on class debaters.....

I wasn't around last year or month.  My son is only 10 new to this.  He goes to a small school and its interesting to me.  That is all

22 minutes ago, asbury4040 said:

I live in Indiana. I'm only worried about Indiana. Why not be the leader and not the follower? You guys can cry all day about class wrestling. It really boils down to the kid, his heart, his determination. Simple. Class wrestling will do the same as class basketball. If that's what you like then good. It's really a matter of taste. Y2, you can bring up all the stats you want. It won't change the fact we're letting soft ass adults raise soft ass kids. Obviously this is just MY OPINION. I can't stand participation trophies. I especially can't stand adults telling kids losing is ok!!!! Give little johnny something to strive for instead of telling him good job when he just got his ass handed to him! 

Which trophies would be considered "participation"? Only the smallest division? Or all divisions? Or is there a cut off...say the lower two divisions or what have you?

Edited by Galagore

Is it possible that we can grow the sport through the classed team state duals and leave the individual side alone?  

It seems the classed team state duals has had a positive impact on some of the smaller schools (North Posey, Attica, Central Noble, etc.)

43 minutes ago, Raven27 said:

I don't understand why you want class wrestling so bad when your coaching at a 3A School?  How is class going to help the sport?  The schedule each team puts together is up to the AD and the coach.  If your program is down change your schedule.  I don't think kids aren't going to quite or wrestle based on class.  I think the biggest reason why kids don't wrestle is 1 we live in a basketball state, 2 its a tough sport that's not for everybody.  Why/How do you think its going to increase the number of  kids wrestling?

Because I have coached at a smaller school and have seen the differences first hand.

For every school and every sport my kids  competed in, they always got a participation certificate at the year end  banquet/meeting.  Does the soft ass/ entitled label  only apply to trophies or does it also apply to certificates.  If it does, Im going to go give them back right now?  Nobody is going to call my kid soft ass and entitled.

38 minutes ago, asbury4040 said:

I live in Indiana. I'm only worried about Indiana. Why not be the leader and not the follower? You guys can cry all day about class wrestling. It really boils down to the kid, his heart, his determination. Simple. Class wrestling will do the same as class basketball. If that's what you like then good. It's really a matter of taste. Y2, you can bring up all the stats you want. It won't change the fact we're letting soft ass adults raise soft ass kids. Obviously this is just MY OPINION. I can't stand participation trophies. I especially can't stand adults telling kids losing is ok!!!! Give little johnny something to strive for instead of telling him good job when he just got his ass handed to him! 

I have been leading the charge for class wrestling for quite a while. I have always been very vocal about it.

So if a kid doesn't make it to state he has no heart or determination? Amazing that only 224 kids each year have that, such a sad society we live in.

Maybe we should have a Freshman only state, a sophomore only state, a Junior only state and a senior only state. 

then older kids aren't picking on younger kids..............#NoClassWrestling

<Pound Sign>HendricksCountySmellsFunnyTough

side note......... @asbury4040 I love your posts buddy !!!   Keep up the good work  #PainTrain

1 hour ago, Galagore said:

Which trophies would be considered "participation"? Only the smallest division? Or all divisions? Or is there a cut off...say the lower two divisions or what have you?

Participation in the fact 2nd place is/was the last loser. Why hand out anything besides 1st place? When you're on the podium only first place should be holding anything. In case you ask why that is it's because he/she earned it. 

50 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

For every school and every sport my kids  competed in, they always got a participation certificate at the year end  banquet/meeting.  Does the soft ass/ entitled label  only apply to trophies or does it also apply to certificates.  If it does, Im going to go give them back right now?  Nobody is going to call my kid soft ass and entitled.

I don't know you or your kid. I'm talking athletic competition. Actually, I'll include life in that as well. 

55 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I have been leading the charge for class wrestling for quite a while. I have always been very vocal about it.

So if a kid doesn't make it to state he has no heart or determination? Amazing that only 224 kids each year have that, such a sad society we live in.

You're spinning my words to fit your narrative. 224? There's only 14 champions. That means everyone else needs to work harder. Who are we to say making it to State is the bar?? Your solution is to add more classes. Why? For more champions or for more placers? Or both? To me that's watered down. Also, this is just my opinion. I respect all of your opinions. So don't get personal. 

7 minutes ago, Galagore said:

So the runner up medal is a participation award? Is that an accurate assessment of your point of view?

Yep,   the 2nd place runner up  will tie the kid with the 1-10 record and lost in the first round pig tails at sectionals. They both get last place according to  Asbury 4040.  Asbury is one  of those you ain't first, your last guys.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

51 minutes ago, asbury4040 said:

You're spinning my words to fit your narrative. 224? There's only 14 champions. That means everyone else needs to work harder. Who are we to say making it to State is the bar?? Your solution is to add more classes. Why? For more champions or for more placers? Or both? To me that's watered down. Also, this is just my opinion. I respect all of your opinions. So don't get personal. 

We shouldn't even have weight classes, way too watered down already. If no one can beat Mason Parris they are scum of the earn anyway.

1 hour ago, asbury4040 said:

I don't know you or your kid. I'm talking athletic competition. Actually, I'll include life in that as well. 

So in real life, like where you work,  Is the president of the company the only winner, and the rest of the employees a bunch of losers who get a year end participation gift certificate to their favorite local restaurant?   Are you the president/champion?

4 hours ago, MustangDaddy said:

People will disagree with me, but one of the hardest things about developing a program in Indiana is the constant moving from one school to another to be more successful. I have struggled with sending my son to a big school but at the end of the day, we are staying put. But, I have the resources to pay for private coaching in the offseason and travel. I believe better athletes will stay at their own school if they don’t feel the need to move to accomplish a deeper run in the state series. This helps develop smaller programs which increases competition everywhere. I can tell you that it’s much easier to recruit kids to wrestle if they feel like a deep run is attainable. I love our state title matches, but I think we’d develop more and better wrestlers and programs in a classed system. For the record, the head coach at our school disagrees with me. I’d like to see us give it a shot though. Try it for a few years and see what happens.

And the Mason Paris argument is silly. That kid wrestles enough across the country to prove he’s dominant. He doesn’t need the top class title to prove that. But maybe the kid that doesn’t have the same resources can obtain some meaningful accomplishments... that maybe, just maybe, can help achieve more confidence for the rest of his/her life.

I watch a lot of college wrestling. When the announcers talk about state titles, they never mention what class! I honestly believe kids are just as proud of their 1A state title as the kid that won at 3A. 

A class system would somewhat dilute our state championship, but would help grow the sport. So, are we in this for the fans? Or the kids and the sport overall?

Applauding you very loudly right now!! Couldn't agree more. Why others can't see this is beyond me or they are selfish? 

Side note- I think wrestling is the toughest sport, mentally, emotionally, physically. So NO Wrestlers is a "soft ass kid" like Asbury4040 mentioned! Get over yourself dude! 

17 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

So in real life, like where you work,  Is the president of the company the only winner, and the rest of the employees a bunch of losers who get a year end participation gift certificate to their favorite local restaurant?   Are you the president/champion?

I get Jelly-Of-The-Month Club as compensation where I work, but I’m not really complaining.  It’s the gift that keeps on givin all year long.

2 minutes ago, Kookie953 said:

I get Jelly-Of-The-Month Club as compensation where I work, but I’m not really complaining.  It’s the gift that keeps on givin all year long.

I work with some people who used to work with Anheuser Bush prior to the IN Bev take over.  They always bragged about how they got a free case of beer (participation award) monthly.  That's better than a trophy.

11 minutes ago, wrestleliferfan said:

Applauding you very loudly right now!! Couldn't agree more. Why others can't see this is beyond me or they are selfish? 

Side note- I think wrestling is the toughest sport, mentally, emotionally, physically. So NO Wrestlers is a "soft ass kid" like Asbury4040 mentioned! Get over yourself dude! 

Couldn't agree more. Had this conversation with our head coach after I posted originally. The small school state champs and state placers are still going have to work their butts off. Success in wrestling is hard no matter what. So let's do something to get more kids believing they can be successful. As confidence grows, they'll look forward to dual meets and in-season tournaments where they can match up against the "big school" guys, but still look forward to their tournament run.

3 hours ago, asbury4040 said:

Just curious if you consider Chris Lytle a soft ass? He didn't win a state title or a Title in the UFC but he did get awards multiple times and Bonus checks!

Soft ass really?  Here is a observation or question for you I am curious why the "World is getting so dangerous now a days" is always stated at the same time "Soft ass adults are making soft ass kids"  

31 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

No, I need to improve as well. I'd like to think that one day down the road I could be the president or CEO. I call that a goal. 

4 minutes ago, Katanakahn said:

2017 NCAA Wrestling Championship Placement Points By State

58f67ad4dcbce.png

chart3a.jpg

Indiana is 17th in population, so that is where you would think we would rank nationally.  We shouldn't be compared to California, Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania, etc. since they have more people.  

We should be compared to states our own size (Tennessee, Massachusetts, Missouri, Maryland, Wisconsin, Arizona, etc.). 

So I would say we are doing really well compared to other states similar in size.  

Y2, you win. Here's your trophy. I've been told to give in or you will ban me. To the rest of you I say lighten up. It's my opinion. Keep hiding behind your keyboard. Anyone who knows me knows the truth. Here's a question. Where will you hold your class tournament? It wouldn't be Bankers. The fairgrounds? Oh... ya, We can have it in Ft. Wayne. Nobody would go except parents n family. Whatever you guys want though. If you keep crying enough we will give in. Just like everything else in the world. We're erasing history, tearing down monuments, etc.... why? To appease the soft society. Again, if you want to make this personal then reach out to me. We can have adult dialogue. Right! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.