Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
purdue02

“Automatic” State Champs

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, mcnorthcarolina said:

What about Cressell from Wabash?

Very capable young man. In fact.....as capable of getting it done as anyone in the field.  And yes.....that includes my son Silas.  Apart from wrestling, Noah is a great young man who deserves all the good that life & the sport of wrestling brings his way.  Ironically, Noah & Silas roomed together in Fargo and forged a friendship.  My opinion....North Dakotah State got a serious steal in signing him.  Noah flying under the recruiting radar until last summer really benefits that program in a big way.  Excited to follow his development at the next level.

I usually avoid the prediction conversations when they involve my son.  But realize....I appreciate the luv, acknowledgement and confidence a great deal.  Yes....I'm very bias and don't know many wrestling dads who aren't.  So the only thing Ill share regarding Silas and State is this......He has plenty of great opponents to wrestle before even matching up with one of the other top ranked guys.  And fact is.....while he's humble off the mat, they'll be no respect towards ANY opponent once they're in the circle.  Because at this point in the season.....We don't care if you're ranked #1.....or if you're a first year guy whose forfeited your way to this stage.  You'll be prepared for and taken very serious.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Perseverance said:

Very capable young man. In fact.....as capable of getting it done as anyone in the field.  And yes.....that includes my son Silas.  Apart from wrestling, Noah is a great young man who deserves all the good that life & the sport of wrestling brings his way.  Ironically, Noah & Silas roomed together in Fargo and forged a friendship.  My opinion....North Dakotah State got a serious steal in signing him.  Noah flying under the recruiting radar until last summer really benefits that program in a big way.  Excited to follow his development at the next level.

I usually avoid the prediction conversations when they involve my son.  But realize....I appreciate the luv, acknowledgement and confidence a great deal.  Yes....I'm very bias and don't know many wrestling dads who aren't.  So the only thing Ill share regarding Silas and State is this......He has plenty of great opponents to wrestle before even matching up with one of the other top ranked guys.  And fact is.....while he's humble off the mat, they'll be no respect towards ANY opponent once they're in the circle.  Because at this point in the season.....We don't care if you're ranked #1.....or if you're a first year guy whose forfeited your way to this stage.  You'll be prepared for and taken very serious.  

Obviously Eric I have become a fan of Silas in watching him for the last several years. The most amazing thing to me, is how young he is for his class. Being 14 years old last year beating State finalist at 170 is remarkable. He has earned the respect that I always give to him. Will be fun to watch his career unfold over the next few years. Also, it always interesting to hear some background on the some the wrestlers that most of us only know on paper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, wchew20 said:

Obviously Eric I have become a fan of Silas in watching him for the last several years. The most amazing thing to me, is how young he is for his class. Being 14 years old last year beating State finalist at 170 is remarkable. He has earned the respect that I always give to him. Will be fun to watch his career unfold over the next few years. Also, it always interesting to hear some background on the some the wrestlers that most of us only know on paper. 

Your support of Silas is extremely appreciated brother.  Yeah.....most are unaware that this could legitimately be his freshman year and that he'll graduate at 17.  I just couldn't justify keeping him back for athletic purposes in middle school because of how much he excels in the classroom. Just  didn't feel right.  He won't reach the age of his classroom peers until his potential freshman redshirt in college.  With that said.....his work ethic has eliminated the age factor. Winning or losing is now just a matter of out working everyone, executing, and being better than someone that day/match.  

I strongly encourage you to follow the national scene closely as well.  He has the potential to do some pretty special things at the Cadet level this year.  And due to his youth, he'll actually have the opportunity at FILA Cadet to make the world team all the way up through the summer before he starts his senior year.  Lots of other genuinely elite youngsters that'll be representing Indiana wrestling and continuing to raise our state's respect level on the mat as well. Thanks again man.....any and all support of my son is fully recognized and won't be forgotten. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

19 hours ago, SIACfan said:

I agree with this thought, or at least I hope this to be the case.

 

Besides Lee (152) & Parris (220),

I see a couple semi-locks: Walton (182), Davison (195)

& a strong favorite in Curtis (113)

I believe Curtis was a strong favorite till the second half of the season. Now I just believe he is a normal favorite.This had nothing to do with him not being great or wrestling great. And since I didn't see the match with Andrew Black that he won 6-4, I can't really say if he had a safe and not much danger in losing and just giving up a meaningless last few seconds reversal or something kinda 6-4 match or the kind of match that if a call or 2 goes against him next time or if Black coulda just finished any one of them questionable takedowns that he didn't get the call 6-4 kinda match. So I can still say just because the score was close doesn't mean he can't still be "strongly favored" but what can make me think of why I don't believe he is "strongly favored" anymore is because of one reason and one reason only.I have been around this sport for a very long time and I have seen some incredible things but what I witnessed on January 20th, 2018 at the Garry Burkhart Invitational in Hobart, you almost HAD to see it to believe it.I never really heard anything about why or what reason Andres Moreno decided to bump up a weight class(even tho he was given an extra 2 pound weight allowance). I would love to hear the reason why and maybe Coach Vega can tell us. After looking at the brackets I believe he had to do it just for the competition. He coulda just wrestled his weight class and more than likely in my opinion at least majored the Mishawaka wrestler that won 113(no disrespect).Andres Moreno decided he wanted to move up to a higher weight class to have 2 of the top 5 120 pound wrestlers in the state of Indiana in his bracket Tyler Triana who placed 3rd in the state last year and Brock Peele who placed 4th last year. What makes this even more impressive to me is the the fact that Moreno was still undefeated and was not afraid to put his Undefeated streak on the line against the best of the best even if it was in a weight class above his. He met Brock Peele in the Semi-finals. He had an amazing match with Peele. Moreno ended up beating Peele in overtime 11-9 to advance to the finals to wrestle Tyler Triana of Hobart at his home school.Triana is one of the favorites to win the 120 pound weight class this year.I believe Moreno just cracked the top 10 rankings at 113.It was another unbelievable match. They had some amazing scrambles.Moreno ended up in another very close match.He edged out Triana 8-6 to complete one of the most amazing performances in recent history and to also keep his record unblemished.Moreno made me a 100℅ believer that day. If he can wrestle up a weight class and not only hang with, but beat 2 of the best wrestlers Indiana has to offer right now, then their is no way you can tell me that Brayden Curtis should be a lock.I wonder how many think that Brayden Curtis would even beat Tyler Triana or Brock Peele? Good luck everyone. This is going to be one of the best Weeks of Wrestling in history..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one a lock in this sport . You see it every year, kids getting upset . We’ll take Austin DeSanto from Pennsylvania, pulls off a upset over heavy heavy favorite, #1 Ranked, #1 in the World Champion Spencer Lee. You can even come to this great State and we watched #1 Ranked kid get upset by #4  right before The #1 was about to Tech Fall him he pulls a Head Lock out of No Where to pin the #1. Stunna ! Pretty Sure the #1 was a Lock by most that year. It happens almost every year. Might happen this year, all it takes is Courage to pull the trigger, Courage to get better. So ...... No Locks in this Great Sport. ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeamGarcia said:

No one a lock in this sport . You see it every year, kids getting upset . We’ll take Austin DeSanto from Pennsylvania, pulls off a upset over heavy heavy favorite, #1 Ranked, #1 in the World Champion Spencer Lee. You can even come to this great State and we watched #1 Ranked kid get upset by #4  right before The #1 was about to Tech Fall him he pulls a Head Lock out of No Where to pin the #1. Stunna ! Pretty Sure the #1 was a Lock by most that year. It happens almost every year. Might happen this year, all it takes is Courage to pull the trigger, Courage to get better. So ...... No Locks in this Great Sport. ! 

Doubt Lee would have lost without a torn ACL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ryan11p said:

Imo Curtis is not a lock at 113, Moreno will be right there. My money is on Moreno

Am I missing something? I don't believe anyone has declared Curtis a Lock. I've seen semi-lock & strong favorite but not lock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UncleJimmy said:

Is Moreno buying followers like the recent twitter kerfuffle? Lol...good luck, tough road.

I know this young man more than anyone. It’s obvious he has some young fans who believe in him and maybe are getting excited. As far as Good luck to him ?... he don’t need that at all. He has earned everything he has accomplished in his life by just believing in himself and working hard ! And nothing ever just given to him , so tough road....? Good that’s where he needs to be?  And right where I want him because each match is all the more rewarding win or lose because he knows exactly where he is at and what needs to be done to improve.  To all the wrestlers out there you are an amazing bunch that inspired me into starting my sons wrestling journey and I thank you all for that and have my respect ! I’m looking forward to watching them all in the coming weeks for sure! Stay focused Wrestlers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.