States Without Wrestlebacks

aoberlin

17 minutes ago, TripleB said:

And to add - Single class states w/o wrestlebacks. 

Is Indiana the hardest state to medal in?

Good luck trying to understand California’s single class gerrymander system where the number of advancing kids depends on what district you are in.  

Looks like California, Kentucky, New Jersey, and Vermont are the only single class.

I could not find anywhere that said they do not have wrestlebacks. California sounds like it has some weird thing that you would expect that State to have.

It would seem that there must be some justification for going against every state in the nation for not having wrestlebacks, I know I am one that would like to hear the reasoning.  Making a business decision is based on a pro/con analysis and it would seem that the pros far out weigh the cons in favor of wrestlebacks.

I am sure the IHSAA will have a detailed explanation.  I also have heard when decisions are made that have an affect on our sport that they will be transparent in their decision making process in the future, lol.

On January 26, 2018 at 7:38 PM, Colts said:

Edited by Colts

17 minutes ago, Colts said:

It would seem that there must be some justification for going against every state in the nation for not having wrestlebacks, I know I am one that would like to hear the reasoning.  Making a business decision is based on a pro/con analysis and it would seem that the pros far out weigh the cons in favor of wrestlebacks.

I am sure the IHSAA will have a detailed explanation.  I also have heard when decisions are made that have an affect on our sport that they will be transparent in their decision making process in the future, lol.

Heres a list of reasons why Indiana doesnt have wrestlebacks.

1.  Basketball doesnt have basketballbacks, so wrestling shouldnt  have wrestlebacks.

2. Wrestlebacks take time.  Indiana is adamant about not having athletic events diring school hours.  Wrestlebacks would cause tournaments to start during school time.

3.  Indiana state series in all sports  are based on one true champion; who gets second, third or eighth is irrelevant and only state champ is important.

2 hours ago, TripleB said:

And to add - Single class states w/o wrestlebacks. 

Is Indiana the hardest state to medal in?

1st without wrestlebacks, it makes it easier to medal in.  This is because,  better wrestlers get knocked out earlier, and as a result weaker wrestlers place.   Ive heard on a National level sentiment, that a few  state tournaments are tougher.   Indiana ranks about 5th.   California, PA big class,   OH class 3 and NJ public schools class.  Il big school class is comparable.

9 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

1st without wrestlebacks, it makes it easier to medal in.

I understand your point about some tough guys getting knocked out and unable to come back through.

I don't know if "tougher" or "less tough" gets at the heart of the issue.  The issue is placing has more to do with your draw (especially at SS and State) because of no wrestlebacks.  At Regionals this is somewhat less dramatic, but still has an effect.

When 2 guys who could both medal draw each other at SS in the ticket round, one goes home (hard for him to medal from there).

1 hour ago, Jimtown 138 said:

Better wrestlers get knocked out earlier? Now that's funny...

Come on you know what he is saying.  We aren't even coming close to getting the 4 best wrestlers out of each area to State.  Which means there are some kids that will medal that probably shouldn't because of luck of the draw.  While there will be kids that do deserve to medal sitting in the stands watching the kids they probably beat earlier in the year.

8 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

Come on you know what he is saying.  We aren't even coming close to getting the 4 best wrestlers out of each area to State.  Which means there are some kids that will medal that probably shouldn't because of luck of the draw.  While there will be kids that do deserve to medal sitting in the stands watching the kids they probably beat earlier in the year.

Wrong.... those "better" kids sitting in the stand made mistakes and it cost them their medal placement. :)

6 minutes ago, Cosgrove said:

Wasn't talking about myself but thank you :)

The reality is that there is a very very small percentage that can do what you did, even if they killed themselves trying, and for many kids making it to the Walk of Champions ends up being their State Title.  I am not saying give everyone a trophy.  What I am saying we can do a much better job of making sure the kids that earned it get the chance.

10 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Heres a list of reasons why Indiana doesnt have wrestlebacks.

1.  Basketball doesnt have basketballbacks, so wrestling shouldnt  have wrestlebacks.

2. Wrestlebacks take time.  Indiana is adamant about not having athletic events diring school hours.  Wrestlebacks would cause tournaments to start during school time.

3.  Indiana state series in all sports  are based on one true champion; who gets second, third or eighth is irrelevant and only state champ is important.

The three reasoning above makes no sense.

Comparing basketball or any sport to the other has no justification. No other sport has basketballbacks, but they also dont have injury time or blood time.

No tourney would have to start during school hours, that makes no sense.

Totally off base on 2nd through 8th is irrelevant. Believe me it means a lot to college recruiters. State qualifiers and so forth are recruited by their final placement. Few examples Austin Bethal 4X state qualifier no placement wrestled for Wabash, Luke Welch never won a title wrestle for Purdue.

Edited by Colts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.