Regional Brackets: 4. Logansport | 9 am ET

Y2CJ41

25 minutes ago, UncleJimmy said:

Paging the Unknown Wrestler...come in Unknown Wrestler!!!

They may be unknowns but they are flying under the radar pretty nicely. There are some solid wrestlers that will come out of this regional and head to the toughest semi-state we have in Indiana.  This regional is always overlooked.  I’m cheering for the unknown underdogs this weekend.  

4 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Unknown made it fun.  Add in Devil Dog, the Logansport Regional might not have had the best wrestlinng, but it had the best buzz.  I predict there will be limted seating at the Berry Bowl.

I forgot about devil dog. I do know they had a couple injuries one better guy from Harrison. 

5 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Unknown made it fun.  Add in Devil Dog, the Logansport Regional might not have had the best wrestlinng, but it had the best buzz.  I predict there will be limted seating at the Berry Bowl.

Thanks to Wrestling Scholar I always enjoy your posts and your predictions are always fair. 

25 minutes ago, Bambam23 said:

They may be unknowns but they are flying under the radar pretty nicely. There are some solid wrestlers that will come out of this regional and head to the toughest semi-state we have in Indiana.  This regional is always overlooked.  I’m cheering for the unknown underdogs this weekend.  

No, man. No disrespect. Unknown Wrestler was the Logansport authority ..of at least one wrestler. Harrison will dominate..that's all I know and can contribute. 

1 hour ago, UncleJimmy said:

No, man. No disrespect. Unknown Wrestler was the Logansport authority ..of at least one wrestler. Harrison will dominate..that's all I know and can contribute. 

Understand.  Thanks for clarifying.  I agree with you the Harrison wrestlers will dominate.  

12 hours ago, UncleJimmy said:

Paging the Unknown Wrestler...come in Unknown Wrestler!!!

I switched to the dark side this year!

Reffing has brought a whole nother meaning to the sport for me.  (This is the reason I have not ran my mouth this year).  I see us getting a 6#er through, McCartney, Hickman has a shot.  Gonna be wild to see how we draw out on the 120 weight class.  The loser of this weight  could get the better draw. Betourne looks solid this year. Ford from bc punches a ticket FO SHO!   CRIDER DOES HIS THING.

5 minutes ago, unknown wrestler said:

Reffing has brought a whole nother meaning to the sport for me.  (This is the reason I have not ran my mouth this year).  I see us getting a 6#er through, McCartney, Hickman has a shot.  Gonna be wild to see how we draw out on the 120 weight class.  The loser of this weight  could get the better draw. Betourne looks solid this year. Ford from bc punches a ticket FO SHO!   CRIDER DOES HIS THING.

Outstanding. Congrats on the reffing....been thinking about doing it myself to stay in the game.

7 minutes ago, unknown wrestler said:

I don't know about 120 getting a better draw. Someone at semi state will get a better draw. Just have those fingers crossed no one draws into that Hobart regional. Thought that one guy from Harrison was out and hurt? 

I’m normally just watching but time at home with a sick kid gave me the chance to put something together here.

Yes, Harrison should dominate again in winning this Regional for the 6th straight year. But, if they don’t show up, it could be closer than expected with an improving McCutcheon hungry for greater success.

The Lafayette Sectional is clearly the stronger Sectional in this “weak” regional. I predict 8 rematches from the Lafayette Sectional this weekend. There may not be a lot of entertainment until the finals in Logansport Saturday as the best wrestlers are clearly the best. The most likely chance for early round excitement comes at 145 as the bottom half of the bracket is evenly matched (Merkel(Har) vs. Ball(NW), Phillips(Mc) vs. Saavedra(Rens) and the winners).  Other first round matches to watch:

126 Atkinson(BC) vs. Wade(Har)

152 Ruiz(Har) vs. Johns(NW)

182 Pugh(TL vs. Younker(Har)

Predictions:

106 Reagan(Front) over Hein(Har) – Reagan just too much for Hein but they both waltz to the final.

113 Armstrong(Win) over Patrick(LJ) – Patrick may be more battle tested and still could take him.

120 McCartney(Har) over Hickman(Rens) – McCartney’s experience wins out in a close, calculated match.

126 Burge(Mc) over Watson(Del) – Burge looking really good in a rematch of last week’s final.

132 Betourne(Har) over Worley(LJ) – Betourne is the absolute lock for the weekend again.

138 Linder(Mc) over Fauber(WL) – Fauber not himself in the finals last week but is really no match for a focused Linder.

145 Douglass(Att) over Merkel(Har) – Will Merkel have anything for Douglass after a very subpar performance in the final last week?

152 Ruble(Mc) over Kerr(Att) – The upper half of this bracket has the best three wrestlers (Ruble, Ruiz, Johns) after Dodt(TL) pulled the upset in winning last week.

160 Conklin(Har) over Adkins(LJ) – Conklin has found a way to own Adkins having beaten him all three meetings this year.

170 Lopez(Mc) over Fair(LJ) – Fair has a tough semi-final match with Franklin(Log) but Lopez prevails either way.

182 Lambeth(Fa) over Pugh(TL) – Faith gets their first ever champ and semi-state qualifier here. Lambeth bounces back after being upset in the semis last week and takes down Pugh who he pinned earlier this year.

195 Ford(BC) over Stallings(WL) – Ford is definitely the crème of the crop here and just too much for Stallings.

220 Scheering(NN) over Kidwell(WL) – A complete toss-up so I’ll give the experience nod to Scheering.

285 Crider(Har) over Trent(WL) – Crider just too much for Trent. Williams(LJ) in the semis is the tougher match again for Crider.

Just now, Cosgrove said:

I don't know about 120 getting a better draw. Someone at semi state will get a better draw. Just have those fingers crossed no one draws into that Hobart regional. Thought that one guy from Harrison was out and hurt? 

Naw, just keeping you boy's  on your toes!?  Someone is gonna get the peele or winner of Hobart probably but I feel McCartney and Hickman both ha e what it takes to win.  Didn' trey wrestle the peele kid and it was close?

1 minute ago, unknown wrestler said:

Give me a couple years boy's!  I have a 9 year old son getting ready to do his thing!  Started him in scholars old club last week. He will definitely  be ready for some battles at semistate like his big brother Cole. 

Ok,  you got the reffing gig for 6 more years.   But in 2024, we get the old, opinionated Unknown Wrestler back. 

8 minutes ago, unknown wrestler said:

Naw, just keeping you boy's  on your toes!?  Someone is gonna get the peele or winner of Hobart probably but I feel McCartney and Hickman both ha e what it takes to win.  Didn' trey wrestle the peele kid and it was close?

I agree.  The Hobart regional is tough with the #1 and #2.  But the Logansport is  #3 And #4.     And McCartney lost to Peele 5-3.   McCartney and Hickman are in the same ball park with Triana and Peele.    Likely a good wrestler wont make it through at  East Chicago and a good example where the lack of wrestle backs results in the better wrestlers getting through.   Cosgrove,  I think everybody is healthy at Harrison. 

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Bodie,

Good stuff on picks.  Ill add some insight an buzz.

106 Reagan vs Hein looks like a barn burner.    Reagan, Frontier's 1st state qualifier is tough hard nosed kid (who everybody under estimated) and did a lot of wrestling off season.   But Hein is Harrisons most improved wrestler and also worked hard in the weight room and mat in  the off season.    Im thinking Hein, with a tough schedule this season is closing the gap.   Not sure who is going to win,  but don't get stuck in drive thru line at Hardees and get back late, as this we'll be a good match to watch.

113-  I was talking to a former wrestling coach from  Winamac once,  and he told me a story that the name  Winamac was a name for a place where all the Indians got to together and wrestled somebody would "Win a match", thus the name Winamac.  That's what their best wrestler Jake Armstrong does, as he pulled some huge upsets at state last year while being down. Im just saying, don't stop wrestling if you're up on him.   I like his chances to get back to state.   Will add Kenyon Patrick from Jeff looked the best Ive seen him.  He  might be the Sr to realize time is running out and keep Jeffs state Qualifier streak going.

120-  This is the show weight with the highest ranked wrestlers.  Ill add Renssalear Central coaching staff is doing a lot of things right, has a lot of energy,  and is putting some solid wrestlers out.   Returning placer Eli Hickman is there best.  Don't miss the finals match between him and McCartney #3 and #4 in SS.

126-  This is  one weight where Lafayette Jeff  sectional was stronger.  Burge from McCutcheon pulled upset over veteran Watson from Delphi? Good match and worth while to see if will happen again.   Atkinson vs Wade in 1st rd (both wrestlers have had successful brothers in the area) will be interesting to see whose seasons ends early.

132-  #10 State ranked Cody Betourne looks good here.  No matter who what team you're cheering for,  Cody is  exciting to watch and has all the tools to do damage at state.  Can he put it together?

138  I was impressed with Linder in sectional finals, as he handled veteran Fauber from Westside.   I would say Linder is symbolic of the improvement done at McCutcheon.   McCutcheon didn't win sectionals, but they did have a big moral victory while being with 30 points of Harrison.    I even see a slim mathematical path for them upsetting Harrison at Regional, but they have to run the table and get some help. Brayden Wright looks like a kid who get could be dangerous, and could blow things up.

145-  Jorden Douglass impressed at sectional.   He's from Attica, the school receiving moving orders due to sectional alignment came into the sectional with good stats but still somewhat as unknown.  There's always a tendency for the big schools to overlook the small school with a good record.   Next year,  Attica wont be overlooked because they looked sharp.    Jorden Douglass is my wildcard upset kid at SS and finds a way to get a ticket to Indy.   Surprise 1st round match of Merkel and Sr  Leevin Ball who is North Whites all time pin leader will send a talented kid home early.  Pay attention to this match.

152 Ruble another hard working kid buying into Coach Wallace's plan. Not seeing any affects from the knee injury. Hope he gets the draw at SS.  Again, Harrison has a surprisingly high number of crucial 1st round matchups,  and Ruiz vs Johns of North White is one of them. Check that match out.

160-  Expecting Conklin vs Adkins rematch-  I liked how Adkins attacked in their sectional match,  but Conklins scrambling ability was the difference.   #1 seed at Regionals is imperative to have shot at state.  Sizemore or Stanley could throw a wrench  in this plan. 

170 Carlos Lopez impressed at sectionals.  The Scholar's favorite move is the single leg, and he enjoyed watching the 170 final.   I say don't stop using that single leg as it might be good enough to buy him a ticket to state.  Fair and Franklin from Logan will be worth watching in the semis.

182- Wide open weight class.    Keifer from Seeger surprised some people at sectionals and looks like a tough strong kid. Pugh is Twin Lakes best shot.  Just add its good to see Twin Lakes back on the right path and being competitive again with a close 2nd place finish at their sectional.   David Lambeth of Faith Christian has a good as shot as any,   he would be Faith's 1st SS qualifier.  Lambeth beat Pugh earlier in the  year and lost a heartbreak OT match to Keifer.  He does have tough draw with Munson from BC as 182 was legit at Twin Lakes.

195- This is one of the better weights at Logansport with highly ranked Ford from BC  as the favorite here.   I do like Stallings from West Side as he has the capabilities to hang with Ford. 

220- Kidwell probably favorite.  Scheering from North Newton has good record but coming under the radar.   Id be curious to watch him, but I still got to go with a Kidwell.  Alvarez from Jeff was a lot closer to Kidwell than I thought last week,  and he might be inspired to seize the moment.

285-  Ill go out on a limb and call Harrison DC -Donnie Crider favorite.   But Twin Lakes sectional wasn't that bad and there's some depth overall in this.  Trent's a solid HWY and should win the top half and I think he beat Foster earlier.

Anyway,  the Jeff Sectional had some solid dual teams and got a (5) sectional ranking in the state qualifier quota system based on their rating.    5 was the highest rating in the state this year.  Note East Chicago was a (3).   So even though lacking a lot of highly ranked kids, the sectional still was above average in depth.    Twin Lakes was a 3 sectional and when combined the Logansport  regional got a 3 rating.  Or the lowest.  I know some of the guys around South Bend and the Region like to poke fun at Logansport, but the  Penn Regional is down a little bit this year with a 3 also.   So remember that South Bend guys  when you take your jabs at Logansport next week.

There are 6 state ranked kids in the regional.  Harrison is in solid position to win their 6th regional, but they still had a disappointing sectional for Harrison standards and left many of their wresters in precarious 1st round positions.   Their 5 big hitters might not be enough to win it, and they have 7 really tough 1st round matches that are toss ups or they're underdogs.  Harrison is going to have to win some of these or we might see some drama in the team score as McCutcheon could sneak in the back door.  

2 hours ago, unknown wrestler said:

Tylor triana beat peele going to be a rematch again for regionals 

4 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Bodie,

Good stuff on picks.  Ill add some insight an buzz.

106 Reagan vs Hein looks like a barn burner.    Reagan, Frontier's 1st state qualifier is tough hard nosed kid (who everybody under estimated) and did a lot of wrestling off season.   But Hein is Harrisons most improved wrestler and also worked hard in the weight room and mat in  the off season.    Im thinking Hein, with a tough schedule this season is closing the gap.   Not sure who is going to win,  but don't get stuck in drive thru line at Hardees and get back late, as this we'll be a good match to watch.

113-  I was talking to a former wrestling coach from  Winamac once,  and he told me a story that the name  Winamac was a name for a place where all the Indians got to together and wrestled somebody would "Win a match", thus the name Winamac.  That's what their best wrestler Jake Armstrong does, as he pulled some huge upsets at state last year while being down. Im just saying, don't stop wrestling if you're up on him.   I like his chances to get back to state.   Will add Kenyon Patrick from Jeff looked the best Ive seen him.  He  might be the Sr to realize time is running out and keep Jeffs state Qualifier streak going.

120-  This is the show weight with the highest ranked wrestlers.  Ill add Renssalear Central coaching staff is doing a lot of things right, has a lot of energy,  and is putting some solid wrestlers out.   Returning placer Eli Hickman is there best.  Don't miss the finals match between him and McCartney #3 and #4 in SS.

126-  This is  one weight where Lafayette Jeff  sectional was stronger.  Burge from McCutcheon pulled upset over veteran Watson from Delphi? Good match and worth while to see if will happen again.   Atkinson vs Wade in 1st rd (both wrestlers have had successful brothers in the area) will be interesting to see whose seasons ends early.

132-  #10 State ranked Cody Betourne looks good here.  No matter who what team you're cheering for,  Cody is  exciting to watch and has all the tools to do damage at state.  Can he put it together?

138  I was impressed with Linder in sectional finals, as he handled veteran Fauber from Westside.   I would say Linder is symbolic of the improvement done at McCutcheon.   McCutcheon didn't win sectionals, but they did have a big moral victory while being with 30 points of Harrison.    I even see a slim mathematical path for them upsetting Harrison at Regional, but they have to run the table and get some help. Brayden Wright looks like a kid who get could be dangerous, and could blow things up.

145-  Jorden Douglass impressed at sectional.   He's from Attica, the school receiving moving orders due to sectional alignment came into the sectional with good stats but still somewhat as unknown.  There's always a tendency for the big schools to overlook the small school with a good record.   Next year,  Attica wont be overlooked because they looked sharp.    Jorden Douglass is my wildcard upset kid at SS and finds a way to get a ticket to Indy.   Surprise 1st round match of Merkel and Sr  Leevin Ball who is North Whites all time pin leader will send a talented kid home early.  Pay attention to this match.

152 Ruble another hard working kid buying into Coach Wallace's plan. Not seeing any affects from the knee injury. Hope he gets the draw at SS.  Again, Harrison has a surprisingly high number of crucial 1st round matchups,  and Ruiz vs Johns of North White is one of them. Check that match out.

160-  Expecting Conklin vs Adkins rematch-  I liked how Adkins attacked in their sectional match,  but Conklins scrambling ability was the difference.   #1 seed at Regionals is imperative to have shot at state.  Sizemore or Stanley could throw a wrench  in this plan. 

170 Carlos Lopez impressed at sectionals.  The Scholar's favorite move is the single leg, and he enjoyed watching the 170 final.   I say don't stop using that single leg as it might be good enough to buy him a ticket to state.  Fair and Franklin from Logan will be worth watching in the semis.

182- Wide open weight class.    Keifer from Seeger surprised some people at sectionals and looks like a tough strong kid. Pugh is Twin Lakes best shot.  Just add its good to see Twin Lakes back on the right path and being competitive again with a close 2nd place finish at their sectional.   David Lambeth of Faith Christian has a good as shot as any,   he would be Faith's 1st SS qualifier.  Lambeth beat Pugh earlier in the  year and lost a heartbreak OT match to Keifer.  He does have tough draw with Munson from BC as 182 was legit at Twin Lakes.

195- This is one of the better weights at Logansport with highly ranked Ford from BC  as the favorite here.   I do like Stallings from West Side as he has the capabilities to hang with Ford. 

220- Kidwell probably favorite.  Scheering from North Newton has good record but coming under the radar.   Id be curious to watch him, but I still got to go with a Kidwell.  Alvarez from Jeff was a lot closer to Kidwell than I thought last week,  and he might be inspired to seize the moment.

285-  Ill go out on a limb and call Harrison DC -Donnie Crider favorite.   But Twin Lakes sectional wasn't that bad and there's some depth overall in this.  Trent's a solid HWY and should win the top half and I think he beat Foster earlier.

Anyway,  the Jeff Sectional had some solid dual teams and got a (5) sectional ranking in the state qualifier quota system based on their rating.    5 was the highest rating in the state this year.  Note East Chicago was a (3).   So even though lacking a lot of highly ranked kids, the sectional still was above average in depth.    Twin Lakes was a 3 sectional and when combined the Logansport  regional got a 3 rating.  Or the lowest.  I know some of the guys around South Bend and the Region like to poke fun at Logansport, but the  Penn Regional is down a little bit this year with a 3 also.   So remember that South Bend guys  when you take your jabs at Logansport next week.

There are 6 state ranked kids in the regional.  Harrison is in solid position to win their 6th regional, but they still had a disappointing sectional for Harrison standards and left many of their wresters in precarious 1st round positions.   Their 5 big hitters might not be enough to win it, and they have 7 really tough 1st round matches that are toss ups or they're underdogs.  Harrison is going to have to win some of these or we might see some drama in the team score as McCutcheon could sneak in the back door.  

Very nice run down!

On 1/31/2018 at 8:29 PM, Wrestling Scholar said:

Living in Florida, Denver, back in Florida & grad school full time leaves little time for me to keep up on all the Berry Bowl knowledge

I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it!! 

Always rooting for my Vikings and after this weekend anyone from Logan

Hope to see some Logan boys at the bank in a few weeks! Just booked a plane ticket home for state weekend! Haven't missed one in years can't break the tradition

Nothing better than an unclassed state tournament and 1 true champion :)

Edited by devildog47959

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.