Dark Horse - Under the Lights

WadeDuPont

Homer pick... Conley 145. He’s an all-state caliber football player that made it all the way to semi state in football. So... got a late start. Each year, you see athletes that wrestle themselves into shape for a late season run. Kid is wrestling well when it counts.

Ranked 11th right now. 

Edited by Mattyb

I'll tell ya what y'all can have the field on guys ranked 15th and lower and I will take Seth Johnson at 126. He got 4th last year pinning some pretty good guys along the way like Logan Bailey and Andrew Black. He lost to Brayden Curtis 7-4 and beat Logan Boe 7-3. He did make a pretty big weight jump from the 106 class he wrestled in last year. I believe he has the ability to hang with anyone in the weight class.This is just more proof of how stacked the 126 class is. So the 15th ranked wrestler (Johnson) wrestled in the State SEMI FINALS just a year ago and the 19th ranked wrestler(Kelly) in this weight class only lost to Tyler Triana 4-2 and Ethan Smiley by a few points.That is pretty much all you need to know about the strength and depth of 126. I would love for one of these stat guys to do some research on this class to see how it compares to the DEPTH of some of the deepest weight classes in history. You may be able to find a class that has a little better all around top 8-9  Guys in it(3 State àgChampionships, 9 times a wrestler has made it to the State Semi Finals, 12 State Medals, 15 times a wrestler has qualified for state, 6 times a wrestler has wrestled under the lights) and that's only the top half of the rankings. From the spots 9-20 in the rankings their are several guys that have the ability to make the Semis and possibly even wrestle under the lights like State placers Braxton Alexander(6th), Tanner DeMien(7th), and  Seth Johnson(4th). It also has some very good qualifiers like Brycen Denny, Trevor Ragle, Tanner Schoeff, and Hunter Whitman, that if they show up and wrestle their best they can beat anyone there. You can never forget about anyone from Mater Dei, especially with the last name of Egli. Clay Egli has had a few very close matches with 2 of the favorites to wrestle under the lights in returning State Champ Cayden Rooks and last years semi finalist Colin Poynter. When you are 40-1 and your only loss was out of state and you are only ranked 16th(rightfully so probably) and because of how deep the weight class is you can't even crack the top 15 yet even tho you have some quality wins.The Freshman from South Dearborn Bryar Hall also has a pretty good off season resume.This kid could be this years Eli Stock even tho I don't think this is the weight class that an "unknown" is gonna win because of all the studs in it but that's why they wrestle and that is what makes this the best sport in the world. 126 is gonna be worth the price of admission at the bank.

I really like the Hall kid too. Got to spend some time with him this off season. Very dangerous and can pin you from anywhere. Great gas tank!

With that said... Every year, I see the biggest in season gains from freshmen like him. As a freshman, I think you soon find out what it takes to win at the next level (high school). The good kids like Hall, make that adjustment and have the greatest growth between October and February. Would like to see him do well. 

On 1/27/2018 at 6:34 PM, rdrodd1 said:

Bratcher at 160

Yes, Bratcher is tough.Davis and Colza at 160 as well. I'd also include Gerimia Brooks at 132 from Wawasee, he is unpredictable. Barr at 132 of Yorktown is a brawler that could show up when it counts.

4 hours ago, BigBruda said:

Yes, Bratcher is tough.Davis and Colza at 160 as well. I'd also include Gerimia Brooks at 132 from Wawasee, he is unpredictable. Barr at 132 of Yorktown is a brawler that could show up when it counts.

I agree Brooks  @  160  has a shot he will need a few things to go his way obviously but he works his tail off and gets after it.

I will pick one per weight outside the top 8. But it will have to be someone I have seen live.

106: giovani Diaz wheeler scrappy kid with a great partner in the room lost his only loss was a tight one with Martin Cruz 

113: Gabe smith Lawrence Central when healthy he can wrestle with anyone in the state. Al smith champ and had a impressive win over Boarman this summer. 

120: Justice cash Bloomington north as he showed in his double overtime loss to Curtis at mooresville he is at that top level 

126: Tanner Demain penn he is funky and solid on top that is a recipe for a great run plus he is well coached 

132: Jacob Maldonado merrillville he is a grinder and has big move ability plus he has the legacy. 

138: Brialin Harrington north central look at his ticket rd match last year and tell me this dude isn’t in the mix 

145: Nathan Conley Avon wrestled up all year and is as dangerous as anyone in that weight 

152: Joseph walker Mishawaka purchase the Indianamat track wrestling  video and watch this kid he is real good 

160: Brooks Davis Perry meridian you can not teach athleticism and brooks is areat wrestle and athlete 

170: Cody crary munster he has battled injury in his senior year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he made a deep run 

182: Jeremy Torres portage mean and tough on top can take you a long way he started off ranked #2 and has taken losses but could make a run. 

195: AJ Fowler calumet you would be hard pressed to find a more physical specimen at 195 he is a great athlete and slick on his feet. 

220: dalyn Hart Fort Wayne Wayne give him a follow on Twitter and see this is a grown man. Obviously parris is a tall order but a big strong athlete can make a nice run. 

285: Manny Cheam Franklin community. The grizzly cubs and coach hassleman know how coach a big man. Cheam has a lot of heart and a tough road 

I didn’t pick the same team twice but here are some guys I think could be considered underrated 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.