Best and Worst Sectionals

navy80

2 hours ago, throw45 said:

What purpose does it serve to be picking the "worst" sectional?

That is basically what the genius ratings are doing to help create the point system to determine Team State qualification points.

35 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Exactly,   I don't think some people see the irony of this comparison.   There's this criticism of these sectionals with a large majority of small schools and a corresponding pride of being superior.  But its really just  a negative byproduct of a single class system where big schools routinely beat up on smaller schools.    And we complain, why cant those small guys just try harder and be better.      Please spare me from bringing up the wrestling version of Hickory High School in Indiana.  

Watch the first five minutes of this video (or the whole thing, it is a pretty good video) and you can see how this is a trait of human psychology. These people are playing a rigged game of Monopoly, but the principals apply here.

https://www.ted.com/talks/paul_piff_does_money_make_you_mean

Edited by Galagore

I will say Jeffersonville Sectional does have some decent wrestler left.  I think the real issue is the very large number of FF in that sectional, and a major depth issue now that NA and Floyd Central have been moved.  Would be nice to see a couple more teams added to that that sectional just to help a few of the brackets get filled in better.

Edited by MattM

32 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:
1 hour ago, bwoodjc89 said:

This is recognizing the need for just classing it.

Exactly,   I don't think some people see the irony of this comparison.   There's this criticism of these sectionals with a large majority of small schools and a corresponding pride of being superior.  But its really just  a negative byproduct of a single class system where big schools routinely beat up on smaller schools.    And we complain, why cant those small guys just try harder and be better. 

And so it begins for 2018....  Hope everyone saved their responses to 'class wrestling' from the last 20 years so you can just cut and paste:)

I'm looking forward to hearing this debated, again:unsure:

9 minutes ago, MOWrestler said:

And so it begins for 2018....  Hope everyone saved their responses to 'class wrestling' from the last 20 years so you can just cut and paste:)

Ohhhhh.... Snap ....! 

Here comes the 15-20 page debate on Class Wrestling.  I’ll be exiting now smh on this Topic . 

#NO2CLASSWRESTLING 

1 hour ago, bwoodjc89 said:

This is recognizing the need for just classing it.

10 minutes ago, MOWrestler said:

I'm just shocked it took four whole posts before the class system was evoked! The class truthers must be getting numb to the debate. Fast forward to page 20 of this topic in 3..2..

3 hours ago, navy80 said:

I actually meant to say FW Carrol as easy sectional too. 

Trying to start some conversation! 

Carroll sectional has most of the brackets with 7 + kids.  Some of the sectionals have many weights with 5 kids.  Some with 4.  You can't put Carroll towards the bottom.  Not saying that because my teams there.  Just glance at the other brackets and look at the weights. 

2 hours ago, Fabio Jr. said:

When talking about sports there is a chain from good to bad some one has to be bad it's the way the world works

Just like the NFL.  I thought the AFC teams, eventually aside from, but early on including the Patriots, stunk to high heaven this year, including PIttsburgh and Jacksonville.  However, anyone can gain confidence and refine as you go, which all of the aforementioned three teams did to some degree this year.

7 minutes ago, nkraus said:

Carroll sectional has most of the brackets with 7 + kids.  Some of the sectionals have many weights with 5 kids.  Some with 4.  You can't put Carroll towards the bottom.  Not saying that because my teams there.  Just glance at the other brackets and look at the weights. 

I believe that was to get response out of you.  Obviously the Carroll sectional is not in the running.

1 hour ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Exactly,   I don't think some people see the irony of this comparison.   There's this criticism of these sectionals with a large majority of small schools and a corresponding pride of being superior.  But its really just  a negative byproduct of a single class system where big schools routinely beat up on smaller schools.    And we complain, why cant those small guys just try harder and be better.      Please spare me from bringing up the wrestling version of Hickory High School in Indiana.  

Imagine how weak some sectionals would be when divided by 3?

1 hour ago, throw45 said:

I'm not getting into an argument with you, but no I didn't miss your point.  I just don't think it matters whether the implication is about sectional misalignment or not.

Arguement haha I'm not arguing  This is simply a disscussion forum. I want to hear everyones thoughts  That's why it's a discussion forum to understand what others think.

Phil Cook

My team is in that sectional and it is night and day to previous years.  We have VERY few kids or weight classes that would be considered "top tier", but there are a few good wrestlers that know what there doing (and yest will most likely struggle at the regional), but I do look forward to seeing several weight classes that have kids who are very competitive at this sectional (126, 160, and 285 come to mind quickly) and most of those kids are just as nervous and anxious as those kids preparing for the Avon sectional.  

More importantly though if you are only looking at the top tier kids, how they do competing with each other, you may be missing a piece of the sport that makes most of us smile especially at sectional.  It is the kids seeded 6th or unseeded at sectional who overcomes all odds and their own doubts to place 4th and get to wrestle at regional.  Some of them will have achieved their only goal in wrestling after 4 years taking a beating in practice, never even believing they could do it because they wrestled behind a stud or had 5 studs in the sectional.  That kid will ll be just as happy (and most likely or more so) than most of the wrestlers who lose in the go round or on Friday night. 

Weak or strong there is a lot of happiness and tears getting ready to happen on Saturday, but that is what make sectional entertaining and brings a lot of smiles.  

2 hours ago, grappleapple said:

How do you get motivated to not be a bad sectional? You can work to be a good wrestler, but that won't change who your competition is. And, these things are ever-changing. A bad team today might be a great team in a few years. Look at Shenandoah last year - they proved that.

Ya, I was just stating that if something is not what you want it to be then try harder. The question was strongest/weakest. Avon is the strongest in my opinion. I say that cuz of the individuals in this sectional are studs that put in a lot of offseason work. We have the most state placers from a sectional if I were to guess. I don't care how small your school is or how many kids you have. If you want to be good then get good. If not, don't. 

Edited by asbury4040

10 minutes ago, AJ said:

I thought that the 2 piece uniform was going to drastically cut down on forfeits. 

We got two piece suits and  over a 1000 more kids coming out according to IHSAA.  But we have same or more forfeits.  Maybe these new kids are on jv, anvd the coaches think theyre not good enough to get on varsity yet.

13 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

We got two piece suits and  over a 1000 more kids coming out according to IHSAA.  But we have same or more forfeits.  Maybe these new kids are on jv, anvd the coaches think theyre not good enough to get on varsity yet.

I think it has to do with coaches not wanting to get the new uniforms messy.   Hold on to them in the equipment room for a few years then give them to the JV squad.

? I was on lunch break and was just trolling to get discussion going. 

But it I think Jeff sectional has went down for sure. I think north mont sectional is weak as well  

Avon is always deep. 

What are some other top sectionals!

4 hours ago, throw45 said:

What purpose does it serve to be picking the "worst" sectional?

The strength of your Sectional is used to score teams in terms of team state right.  Why would it be ok to do that but not be allowed to talk about on a forum.  Obviously somebody is ranking the sectionals.  Might as well see what everybody's thoughts are on it rather than just the a few people.

24 minutes ago, navy80 said:

? I was on lunch break and was just trolling to get discussion going. 

But it I think Jeff sectional has went down for sure. I think north mont sectional is weak as well  

Avon is always deep. 

What are some other top sectionals!

Now maybe I shouldn't comment on this but I do not think our sectional (Crawfordsville Sectional) is the greatest sectional in indiana, but i will say by adding Zionsville, I think that should end the talks of our sectional being in the worst category lol. Zionsville is pretty good, we aren't bad, Southmont and Crawfordsville are solid full teams. So I think we can maybe start to end the conversation of our sectional being in the terrible category lol. 

Edited by swain358

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.