CHANGE IN [PITA] WEIGHT MANAGEMENT!!

raven150

11 minutes ago, Rookies03 said:

I don't think eliminating weight classes is the right answer but I would like to see bigger weight classes for Varsity and smaller for freshman and JV.  Example...

Freshman (current wt classes - 7 lbs) - 99, 106, 113, 119, 125, 131, 138, 145, 153, 163, 175, 188, 213, 277

JV (current wt classes) 106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220, 285

Varsity (current wt classes +7 lbs) - 113, 120, 127, 132, 139, 145, 152, 159, 167, 177, 189, 202, 227, 292

We'd need a huge increase in numbers to support this.

Just now, buscowrestling said:

What about just adding a middle weight and having 15 varsity spots? Would solve a lot of issues with tied dual meets.  Maybe-

106, 113, 120,125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220, 285

One more weight in the area that is prob most crowded with quality wrestlers.  I like it ??

18 hours ago, MOWrestler said:

We'd need a huge increase in numbers to support this.

Very true.  Not a ton of Freshman events and really not many more JV events. However do 95 lb freshman get turned away from wrestling because they end up wrestling kids who are cutting to get to 106.  Just thinking outside the box to look at how we can promote kids getting stronger moving up weights vs cutting.  

On 1/23/2018 at 9:36 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

The amount of moves that you can hit as a big guy is much more limited and the room for error is much smaller for big guys. It is much easier to get off your back when you have a 106lber on you than someone weighing 250lbs. Again the nuances of the sport between each end of the weight spectrum are what make this sport great. It's just like saying the linemen in football are just big fat ogres and we could do away with them.

Our weight classes are what make this sport so great, eliminating them at either end is a bad idea.

I agree.

I don't think eliminating weights would help much. The low to mid upper weights are great to watch, little guys are quick and can scramble more, middle to upper weights have speed and strength. They tend to always have great #'s and a lot of wrestling practices cater to their styles. How many 220s and 285's are capable of fully wrestling the way low to middle guys wrestle? It'd be great if all wrestlers were the likes of Parris and those before him of that stature. Some are but to the general sense, they tend to be slower and more about strength. Yea, it might be slower paced, but their are still challenges as a coach we have to adapt to that style. Mental game on heavyweights is tough since the margin of error is a lot lower, as most want to be defensive and wait for the other to make the first move. If you can mentally develop a HWT to get going on leg attacks(even if it's only one type) vs upper body, it's tough to stop them.

Someone start a big man academy for our upper weights to get some love.

12 minutes ago, Fabio Jr. said:

So is the goal to eliminate weight cutting? I'm confused now cause no matter the classes kids will cut even for matsode weighins kids will cut

I don't think he (rookies03) meant that.  I think he just meant it might be a mis-match when a kid who naturally weighs 95 lbs faces a kid who cut to 106.

I am curious about your opinion of matside weigh-ins.  I do think this would have a dramatic effect on weight management practices.  Not saying if we should or sould not do it, but I think it would represent a significant change (which the current system has not).

1 hour ago, sslaymon said:

I agree.

I don't think eliminating weights would help much. The low to mid upper weights are great to watch, little guys are quick and can scramble more, middle to upper weights have speed and strength. They tend to always have great #'s and a lot of wrestling practices cater to their styles. How many 220s and 285's are capable of fully wrestling the way low to middle guys wrestle? It'd be great if all wrestlers were the likes of Parris and those before him of that stature. Some are but to the general sense, they tend to be slower and more about strength. Yea, it might be slower paced, but their are still challenges as a coach we have to adapt to that style. Mental game on heavyweights is tough since the margin of error is a lot lower, as most want to be defensive and wait for the other to make the first move. If you can mentally develop a HWT to get going on leg attacks(even if it's only one type) vs upper body, it's tough to stop them.

Someone start a big man academy for our upper weights to get some love.

The "Fat and Long Wrestling Academy" owned and operated by Thornton Melon.      Where we teach not only the Slap and Grab but also the "Triple Lindy"

On 1/23/2018 at 9:36 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

The amount of moves that you can hit as a big guy is much more limited and the room for error is much smaller for big guys. It is much easier to get off your back when you have a 106lber on you than someone weighing 250lbs. Again the nuances of the sport between each end of the weight spectrum are what make this sport great. It's just like saying the linemen in football are just big fat ogres and we could do away with them.

Our weight classes are what make this sport so great, eliminating them at either end is a bad idea.

I can GUARANTEE you couldn't get off your back with this 106 pounder on top

On 1/23/2018 at 8:02 PM, 84headhunter said:

I'd watch a 106 match over a heavy weight match ANY day.

I'd watch a heavyweight match over a 106 ANY day... and when Bankers Life disrespectfully empties out - there is a silver lining, I get a front row seat.  

It's shameful how heavyweights are treated in our sport.  Mainly this is due to sheer naïveté.  I could go on and on, but let me just say that heavyweights are the only ones that are discriminated against because of weight (i.e., maximum weight is 285, weigh more than that and you sit - opposed to weigh 50 and you can still wrestle 106 - why is there an upper limit and not a minimum required weight?).

22 minutes ago, OldGoatGrappler said:

I'd watch a heavyweight match over a 106 ANY day... and when Bankers Life disrespectfully empties out - there is a silver lining, I get a front row seat.  

It's shameful how heavyweights are treated in our sport.  Mainly this is due to sheer naïveté.  I could go on and on, but let me just say that heavyweights are the only ones that are discriminated against because of weight (i.e., maximum weight is 285, weigh more than that and you sit - opposed to weigh 50 and you can still wrestle 106 - why is there an upper limit and not a minimum required weight?).

If i want nuance i'll watch a French art film, but when i go to a wrestling meet i prefer to see wrestling rather than pushing and the nuances of drawing stall calls.

54 minutes ago, OldGoatGrappler said:

One of the best matches I've watched was heavyweight (last year third place match) - but, in general, the heavyweight matches are akin to sloths taking Nyquil and seeing who can stand up the longest. Again, not all - but many of the heavyweight matches are just shoving displays.

2 minutes ago, grappleapple said:

One of the best matches I've watched was heavyweight (last year third place match) - but, in general, the heavyweight matches are akin to sloths taking Nyquil and seeing who can stand up the longest. Again, not all - but many of the heavyweight matches are just shoving displays.

What are your thoughts on how Tsirtsis wrestles in College? His goal is 2-1 or 1-0. Is that like taking Nyquill? 

3 minutes ago, V and M's Dad said:
8 minutes ago, grappleapple said:

What are your thoughts on how Tsirtsis wrestles in College? His goal is 2-1 or 1-0. Is that like taking Nyquill? 

Hey, let's not get on T-shirts.  He's an IN guy.  Plus I generally think it is a bad idea to put down Da Region.  Hope you're not headed to ECSS:)

How about we use Dean Heil as an example instead.

Don’t think it’s a national rule, but several states have a minimum weight for 106 and 113.  How many healthy, fit high school athletes weigh over 250 let alone 285? No, I am not saying 285 should drop. I don’t want to see any weight class reductions. 

11 minutes ago, V and M's Dad said:

I think Tsirtsis is an amazing wrestler, but I do find his matches rather boring. I don't need to see a Brendan Campbell / Kyle Ayersman each time - with points lighting up the scoreboard faster than Avon posters can type hashtags - but, I do like to see matches that have action throughout and at least some attempts at offense.

2 minutes ago, RAJR said:

Don’t think it’s a national rule, but several states have a minimum weight for 106 and 113.  How many healthy, fit high school athletes weigh over 250 let alone 285? No, I am not saying 285 should drop. I don’t want to see any weight class reductions. 

Just based off of the High School Football state finals between Ben Davis and Penn. There were Six starting lineman that were over the 285 pound mark and going to College. They are at

least in shape enough to play College Football. 

On a side note last years State finals had 

4 pins @  106 pounds             total points in other matches 147

3 pins @   113 pounds            total points in other matches 127

7 pins @   220 pounds            total points in other matches 137

5 pins @   285 pounds            total points in other matches 108

Looks to me like there is plenty of action maybe some people just like watching scrambles out of bounds that don't score.

56 minutes ago, Westforkwhite said:

If i want nuance i'll watch a French art film, but when i go to a wrestling meet i prefer to see wrestling rather than pushing and the nuances of drawing stall calls.

If your naïveté results in inability to appreciate the fine art of heavyweight wrestling, it's your loss.  Some folks can discern and appreciate fine French wines and other drink Boone's Farm.  

7 minutes ago, OldGoatGrappler said:

If your naïveté results in inability to appreciate the fine art of heavyweight wrestling, it's your loss.  Some folks can discern and appreciate fine French wines and other drink Boone's Farm.  

Is this like a landscaper watching grass grow, or a painter watching paint dry. I'm certain they are seeing things im not, but at the end of the day im still not watching.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.