Ranked Replacements

shoottowin

If a wrestler is not on your Sectional roster submitted by your AD, he can not be entered.  Also, if no wrestler is entered at the weight class during the seeding meeting, then no wrestler can be entered later.

If they did enter a wrestler, the new wrestler can be entered as a replacement.  If the entered wrestler was a seeded wrestler, he is removed and new entry is placed in the #6 seed and everyone moves up.  If they are unseeded, then they are entered as if the were the original wrestler.

An advantage of not submitting a deserving seed is to remain separated from a higher seed.  Seeds 2,3, and 6 are opposite of the #1 seed.  This would be one reason I could imagine this would be done, not sayin I agree with it either, just trying to answer your question as to the why.

No, ADs submit a Sectional roster with up to 3 kids eligible at each weight class.  What is submitted on track is Sectional entries for each weight. 

If he is gonna be injured and questionable to wrestle, maybe to allow for another wrestler to be seeded that may not have, if the #1 guy was entered?  Once you are unseeded, you are not moved, unless you are the last drawn in wrestler moving into the #6 seeded slot.  This would only occur if there is no replacement for a seeded wrestler.

I am sure I can come up with other reasons, but I think they are few and far between as to why this would be done.  Did you ask the Coach why?

Edited by XCard

Some wrestlers/coaches could be looking at possible match-ups farther down the road when the tournament series begins. If you seed a wrestler he is committed to that weight, but if you don't enter him at seeding he can be a replacement at his normal weight or one class higher, if that would give him a better chance to advance. The delay would let you review the other sectionals feeding your regional and semi-state to make your decision before Saturday. I don't like doing this because it could push a kid who would've finished second down to third and give him a harder match at regional.

You could also have a scenario within a weight class where it comes down to seeding. You clearly know who the top 2 wrestlers are in the weight class, but due to criteria they may end up on the same side of the bracket. So a team may just enter a random kid in the bracket and hope that the draw is lucky and lands him in the opposite bracket. Then enter the good kid into the bracket when it comes time to weigh in. Just a scenario.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.