Illegal equipment

lewdwar

So to clarify a “normal length” slide on knee pads, which are just around the knee area, is still OK to wear?   And just these “extended length” full sleeve knee pads, which go up the thigh and down near the ankle, that are now illegal.

15 minutes ago, MattM said:

So to clarify a “normal length” slide on knee pads, which are just around the knee area, is still OK to wear?   And just these “extended length” full sleeve knee pads, which go up the thigh and down near the ankle, that are now illegal.

Seen this coming last year. Why not wear a traditional elbow or knee pad. My son wore one last year the full sleeve padding. The little pads did become loose, stickout and offer no support . He switched back to traditional knee pad this year because of the flaws . 

Edited by TeamGarcia

1 hour ago, No One Famous said:

What is the reason?  I am not sure why the IHSAA cares what kind of elbow pad or knee pad is worn.

I’m just guessing here... wouldn’t doubt they say it’s altering the uniform. I’ve seen a few kids wearing them on both knees and it looks like tights on them. Other States have banned them as well in Basketball & Wrestling in Iowa for example. 

Rule Book Page 17 Rule 4-3 Section 3 Special Equipment

Art  1 Special equipment is defined as any equipment worn that is not required by rule. Any equipment which does not permit normal movement of the joints and which prevents one's opponent from applying normal holds/maneuvers shall not be permitted.
  a. legal hair coverings attached to the ear guards, face masks, braces, casts, supports, eye protection and socks.
  b. any protective equipment which is hard and/or abrasive must be covered and properly padded with a closed-cell, slow recovery foam padding no less than 1/2 inch thick.

Art. 2 All parts of a pad must fit snug against the wrestler's body. Loose pads are prohibited. A sleeve is not permitted.

@yellowbelly12 picture is the proper protection of a knee pad or elbow pad.

@lewdwar's pictures of a knee/elbow sleeve is not permitted. These can be altered if the sleeve at the top and bottom is shortened. But needs to be verified by the official. This was an issue a couple of years ago, if was brought to the attention of the NFHS, they are illegal because of the sleeve.

Jim Russell

IHSAA Rules Interpreter 

So if a kid has knee issues (perhaps has had a dislocation at some point) and wears a compression sleeve over the injury to add stability.... they will not be able to wear it. That’s crazy!!!! 

The kid is not trying to look cool or be like Lebron. Just wants to avoid injury. How would wearing a tight knee sleeve give a kid an advantage? 

Really dumb. Safety of the wrestlers needs to come first. 

2 minutes ago, cbarnett said:

For clarification, it is not the officials or the IHSAA making this interpretation, it is the National Federation. This interpretation/rule, as with all others, are always open for review, and everybody has the ability to submit a rule change/interpretation to the NFHS at www.nfhs.org

Understandable, my thing is why wait until Sectional to start enforcing it. How about wait till next year since it hasn't been enforced all year. Make it a point of emphasis for next year and go from there. 

8 minutes ago, cbarnett said:

I believe that it has been a rule all along, however, these pads were not as prevalent in the past. The first ones that I actually saw all year were at the Lake County tournament on January 6. The ones being worn by the Merrillville wrestlers were deemed legal after some review, as they were tight fitting and only extended above/below the knee approximately 3"-4". Another school had one that extended under the singlet at the top, and below the sock on the bottom, and was thus determined illegal. I believe that it was subsequently altered to comply. 

I agree Coach Swain..... the communication amongst the officials needs to be more consistent :)

Chuck Barnett

IHSAA Interpreter

I have a kid who wears ones similar to the Merrillville ones you describe. Will those be allowed this weekend? I am just trying to tell my kid if not...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.