TEC - Most Underated Conference

WadeDuPont

32 minutes ago, WadeDuPont said:

The TEC may be the most under rated conference, Union City has beaten some top teams and may not finish in the Top 5.

#theTEC

How do you get underrated when there aren't conference ratings? And, what are you basing this off of? Is this single class, state wide? Is it Class A?

26 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

I don't know,  I guess Union City is in it.   Must have some good team to be one of the better conferences in the state.

I don't believe the post states "one of the better conferences in the state" ...it says "may be" the most underrated.

So to clarify "may be"  the most underrated as a 1A conference ... Union City has a win over #9 Shenandoah and may not be better than 5th or 6th in their own conference. So my thinking is if a middle of the pack conference team can beat a "Top 10" 1A team it "may be" underrated.

#theTEC

Edited by WadeDuPont

I did a little research to see just how underrated Union City and the TEC is. Here's what I have (mind you, some results may be missing).

Centerville 13-2

Knightstown 18-3

Union City 10-7 (was beaten 63-6 by Mt. Vernon and lost to Harrison's JV team) Also, lost to Cambridge City who is 2-7.

Union County (1-14), Tri (5-12), Hagerstown (4-6), Winchester (4-8), Northeastern (3-4), Cambridge City (2-7) and Union County (1-14) all have losing records.

Now, I do think there are good wrestlers in the conference. The Phillips kid from Centerville, Tucker Coffman and some of the Knightstown kids like Jon Simmons, Thomas Sollars and their heavyweight are pretty legit. I just don't see how someone argues for a team to get more recognition when that team is 10-7 in a conference where the majority of teams are struggling this season.

2 minutes ago, WadeDuPont said:

I don't believe the post states "one of the better conferences in the state" ...it says "may be" the most underrated.

So to clarify "may be"  the most underrated as a 1A conference ... Union City has a win over #9 Shenandoah and may not be better than 5th or 6th in their own conference. So my thinking is if a middle of the pack conference team can beat a "Top 10" 1A team it "may be" underrated.

#theTEC

That win over Shenandoah was in early November when Silas Allred wasn't wrestling. I'm betting several others were out as well, including Jake Webster. Also, Shenandoah had AJ Black when they were ranked No. 9. Union City is not beating that Shenandoah team.

3 minutes ago, grappleapple said:

I did a little research to see just how underrated Union City and the TEC is. Here's what I have (mind you, some results may be missing).

Centerville 13-2

Knightstown 18-3

Union City 10-7 (was beaten 63-6 by Mt. Vernon and lost to Harrison's JV team) Also, lost to Cambridge City who is 2-7.

Union County (1-14), Tri (5-12), Hagerstown (4-6), Winchester (4-8), Northeastern (3-4), Cambridge City (2-7) and Union County (1-14) all have losing records.

Now, I do think there are good wrestlers in the conference. The Phillips kid from Centerville, Tucker Coffman and some of the Knightstown kids like Jon Simmons, Thomas Sollars and their heavyweight are pretty legit. I just don't see how someone argues for a team to get more recognition when that team is 10-7 in a conference where the majority of teams are struggling this season.

Were am I asking for a team to get more recognition? I said Union City may not be a Top 5 team in their own conference. So clearly I don't believe I am asking for them to be recognized.

6 minutes ago, WadeDuPont said:

Were am I asking for a team to get more recognition? I said Union City may not be a Top 5 team in their own conference. So clearly I don't believe I am asking for them to be recognized.

Fair enough. To me, and I think others, it came across differently. I hope they do well in the TEC meet.

59 minutes ago, rookie78 said:

Which teams are in the TEC?

Tri-Eastern

Record vs. conference teams

Union City 3-1
Centerville 2-0
Cambridge City Lincoln 2-1
Hagerstown 2-1
Winchester 1-0
Northeastern 1-2
Union County 0-0
Tri 0-6

Here's the teams in the infamous "T.E.C",  the biggest little school conference in the state.   I guess to be under rated, you have to be rated somewhere at first.

However, I do think its important to get all small schools recognition to help grow the sport. It does put me off when I see comments like the one made by Fabio Jr. above about teams he "didn't know existed", I think that is condescending comment in regards to small schools. 

#theTEC

Edited by WadeDuPont

5 minutes ago, WadeDuPont said:

However, I do think its important to get all small schools recognition to help grow the sport. It does put me off when I see comments like the one made by Fabio Jr. above about teams he "didn't know existed", I think that is condescending comment in regards to small schools. 

#theTEC

Good point.  And in the Hoosier spirit of "Hickory High School",  I love it when the little guy stands up and puts a chip on the shoulder, and stands up to the big guy.     And the wrestling mat at Union City is 1 to 1.25  thick just like the mat at Bronwsburg is 1 to 1.25" thick.     Didn't Hickory consolidate to one of the schools in the T.E.C?

2 hours ago, WadeDuPont said:

#theTEC

Well, when you start a thread called "Most Underated Conference" (sic), you do invite some criticism

2 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Good point.  And in the Hoosier spirit of "Hickory High School",  I love it when the little guy stands up and puts a chip on the shoulder, and stands up to the big guy.     And the wrestling mat at Union City is 1 to 1.25  thick just like the mat at Bronwsburg is 1 to 1.25" thick.     Didn't Hickory consolidate to one of the schools in the T.E.C?

It's Milan 

4 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Tri-Eastern

Record vs. conference teams

Union City 3-1
Centerville 2-0
Cambridge City Lincoln 2-1
Hagerstown 2-1
Winchester 1-0
Northeastern 1-2
Union County 0-0
Tri 0-6

Here's the teams in the infamous "T.E.C",  the biggest little school conference in the state.   I guess to be under rated, you have to be rated somewhere at first.

Knightstown joined this conference this year.

Just curious, I know union county, Northeastern, Winchester, Centerville, and Hagerstown have all had multiple individual state placers in the past.  Has Union city, Lincoln, or Tri had placers? 

As a former TEC wrestler, (and father of a brownsburg wrestler) I think I carry a unique perspective on this topic and can say its a huge achievement for these kids and schools when they have a wrestler break through to semi-state, let alone state. 

Of all the schools in that conference, I would have to say Winchester has maintained the most consistent team depth and strength over the past 30 years, just my opinion.  

13 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

I was getting confused when talking about Shenandoah.   Suppose Y2 needs to update.

What  @grappleapple is making reference to is the amount of wrestlers we've had out until just a couple weeks ago.  Aside from 113  #2 AJ Black transferring, and 182 #4 Silas Allred just returning from injury the beginning of Dec......Shenandoah had 6 regular varsity guys recently return and just become eligible the week before Team State.  Prior to......we mostly had freshman and JV guys filling out the line-up.  With the exception of 145 #9 Lohrey, previously ranked Pugsley (both State Qualifiers), and 3 other weight classes.

However......a W is a W.  And we at Shenandoah congratulate Union City on their early victory and wish them success the remainder of the regular season and state series run.  They'll definitely have their work cut out for them in conference.  Knightstown is very solid and well coached (should undoubtedly win conference), and many of the other schools have good coaches & legit wrestlers that can compete on a high level.  A hand full of them.....on a very high level.  Good luck to all the TEC teams battling it out.  We look forward to seeing you guys come sectional & regional.

56 minutes ago, Perseverance said:

What  @grappleapple is making reference to is the amount of wrestlers we've had out until just a couple weeks ago.  Aside from 113  #2 AJ Black transferring, and 182 #4 Silas Allred just returning from injury the beginning of Dec......Shenandoah had 6 regular varsity guys recently return and just become eligible the week before Team State.  Prior to......we mostly had freshman and JV guys filling out the line-up.  With the exception of 145 #9 Lohrey, previously ranked Pugsley (both State Qualifiers), and 3 other weight classes.

However......a W is a W.  And we at Shenandoah congratulate Union City on their early victory and wish them success the remainder of the regular season and state series run.  They'll definitely have their work cut out for them in conference.  Knightstown is very solid and well coached (should undoubtedly win conference), and many of the other schools have good coaches & legit wrestlers that can compete on a high level.  A hand full of them.....on a very high level.  Good luck to all the TEC teams battling it out.  We look forward to seeing you guys come sectional & regional.

Having competed and prepared for Shenandoah multiple times the group of gentleman at the beginning of the year are much different from the group they now have due to injuries and other situations. They would be a hard team to battle with when they have a full line up. Having trained at multiple rtc sites in the offseason the wrestlers at Shenandoah are solid with many that will punch their ticket. Although they are not in the conference many of the conference teams are in the same sectional and will have their hands full in preparing for them. They are a great group of kids who hit a rough patch early in the season but they are warriors and will make alot of noise in their individual runs. Keep up the good work Perseverance!

58 minutes ago, jdmdjm said:

For the record.....in 2009 the TEC had 3 State Champions. Cody Phillips and Michael Duckworth of Union County, and Adam Chalfant of Winchester. Has a conference this

small ever had that before

That was a great year for the TEC, for sure. Fun wrestlers to watch.

22 hours ago, WadeDuPont said:

#theTEC

Sorry I had never heard of Cambridge city Lincoln 

18 hours ago, Perseverance said:

Thanks for the compliment on our tec wrestlers 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.