Team State

I heard from a few coaches that there were concerns over there videos being available to be seen after team state. For scouting purposes, they didn’t want people to be able to access film on their individual. It was important for me to still stream the tournament though because it is such a good one.

Because of that, I asked that matches not be archived.

At some point people need to grow up your gonna have film sent out about you regardless of who you are we get film of anyone we need. The lack of an archive is a travesty for people who couldn't see it live to see a hell of a tournament 

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:47 PM, ehscoach said:

I heard from a few coaches that there were concerns over there videos being available to be seen after team state. For scouting purposes, they didn’t want people to be able to access film on their individual. It was important for me to still stream the tournament though because it is such a good one.

Because of that, I asked that matches not be archived.

You might have asked but your request musta been denied! Most, if not all, the matches on TW now appear up and archived and FREE to the world!!! #NetNeutrality(Used2)Rule #DontTellThoseParanoidCoaches #YouCantControlTheInterwebs

9 minutes ago, UncleJimmy said:

You might have asked but your request musta been denied! Most, if not all, the matches on TW now appear up and archived and FREE to the world!!! #NetNeutrality(Used2)Rule #DontTellThoseParanoidCoaches #YouCantControlTheInterwebs

Pros and cons of  having video:

Con: get scouted by opponent

Pro: College coaches can watch,  you can scout your opponents,  family can watch, promote the sport

It is no secret that my son has had a rough couple years to start his high school career. With that said, he has had some great matches in his off season. We have actually got a few emails and calls from some pretty good programs that have stated that they have seen his matches (online and in person) and like what they see. No doubt that your opponents get to see the videos.  But.. I can tell you first hand that having those matches available to college coaches could open doors for your wrestlers. If you have a wrestler that wants to wrestle at the next level, you are doing him a disservice by not allowing college coaches to see them.

45 minutes ago, UncleJimmy said:

It’s mostly the prelim matches that are up just like previously and for free instead of behind the pay wall.   It looks like semi-finals and finals are the ones missing from anyone’s access.   I was hoping  I could watch the rest of the dual meets I missed on the paid live feed, but apparently that’s not happening.  I wouldn’t think this issue would be to a scouting thing if they are also making the prelims are available to view for free.

So a couple things in Re: to the streaming at the Team State Duals.  I am going to put it all together in one place since there are a couple of posts regarding videos from team state.

First, it was a hectic time as we had different camera/computer/table set ups at each table.  TrackWrestling set up a standard for using TrackCast, and unfortunately only 7 of the mats that were streamed had the full TC equipment from TW.  The week before, Mark Durham had rented TC kits (as well as used his own 6 computers) from TW for the DII grind of a tournament, Midwest Classic.  Those computers and streams had very little issues.  Unfortunately for this tournament they used some ISWA computers and video cameras that caused for some spotty video.  For those that were complaining about Mat 10 during the event, this was one of the locations where the computer/camera combo were failing us and we had to put a new setup in mid event, which hopefully helped.

The good news in this is that we streamed the event, still had many colleges looking at the videos based on the paywall, and it seems like the tournament admins want to rent video equipment from TW for next year. 

Second, the archives.  We were told that archives were not supposed to happen, unfortunately it is automatically archived on TW and when we found that out we had to contact them to stop the archiving of matches.  So this means that the first 2-3 rounds (depending on teams) are archived and available to watch for free.

This is a major college recruiting tool that has helped Indiana kids get offers from schools.  If the tournament hosts do not care, I can archive the rest of the matches. It is hard to see how this is a bad thing for our wrestlers because of scouting.  If you know anything about high school wrestling then you should know that coaches trade film to scout.  In this case, at least you have the ability to watch all of the matches.

Third, not having anyone manning the cameras.  We knew this was going to be an issue.  There are a couple solutions that we have went through on how to make sure that the cameras are focused on the action.  Having a manager from one of the teams run the camera, getting more help for the tables, whatever we need to do.  We know there was a water bottle in the view of the Brownsburg v. Portage match, unfortunately.  We are working to fix as many issues as we can while hoping to be able to bring streams to the Indiana Wrestling community next year.

No solution for this yet, but we are working toward finding a solution.

The mats were setup for 1-6 (finals and 3rd place mats) to have the best streaming equipment (the ones that came from TW).  That is why the 3A schools were having the spotty computers/cameras.  This is something that was decided while setting up and honestly it was probably for the best that we kept those cameras there as it would have delayed the tournament even more if we hadn't.

Next year, we are hoping to rent another 5 video kits so that the streams are corrected.

I am sure there are more things that you would like answered, so if you would like, go ahead and ask and I can help.

Trackgopher,

Is it possible to archive the videos and make them available to just the paywall people who had purchases the event.  As with other trackwrestling purchases, I was fully expecting to be able to watch some of the meets that I didn’t see on the live feed afterward.  However, the early half of the event everyone has access to what was originally paid for and for the later half of the event even the paid customs don’t have access.  I’m not sure about how the programming logistics are set up, but I know for other paid events allow only subscribers to access the archived content.  Sure it doesn’t stop all scouting, but it also allows access for the paid customers, as well as this college coaches, who likely expected to have viewing rights beyond the live feed.  

5 minutes ago, MattM said:

Trackgopher,

Is it possible to archive the videos and make them available to just the paywall people who had purchases the event.  As with other trackwrestling purchases, I was fully expecting to be able to watch some of the meets that I didn’t see on the live feed afterward.  However, the early half of the event everyone has access to what was originally paid for and for the later half of the event even the paid customs don’t have access.  I’m not sure about how the programming logistics are set up, but I know for other paid events allow only subscribers to access the archived content.  Sure it doesn’t stop all scouting, but it also allows access for the paid customers, as well as this college coaches, who likely expected to have viewing rights beyond the live feed.  

We are looking into it for sure.  Technically they were only accidentally archived because of the IHSWCA asking for them not to be.  We shall see.  I have TW working on hopefully a solution to the issue.

2 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Pros and cons of  having video:

Con: get scouted by opponent

Pro: College coaches can watch,  you can scout your opponents,  family can watch, promote the sport

I think the pros definitely out weigh the cons. Especially for the college coaches, families and just general fans of the sport. 

This is one of the problems with Indiana wrestling. So what if they see a video of you wrestling in December hopefully all coaches involved are helping their kids expand their games for February. But again we are worried about sneaking up on people 

It just seems incomprehensible on many levels. It's the freakin' 21st century..if you mamby pamby coaches don't think darn near every match at that event was taped somehow by somebody and it's not going to find a way into your competition's hands you're an idiot. Secondly, all you see on this site is the constant rallying cry to grow the sport yet at arguably one of the Top 2 and easily Top 5 events, the participant's cannot have their family and friends sit down watch an archived video while they are home on break with nothing to do. You don't think a kid in this event showing his buddies video of a match he was in with a lot at stake is a recruiting tool? Or that proudly showing it to Gramps and Granny isn't going to motivate him and fill him with pride and motivate him to work hard? So let's continue to pound the drum for class wrestling to grow the sport..yet, when you have a classed event such as Team State, let's not have the competitors go home and show their buddies how cool it was and use it to recruit said friends and fans to the sport. Brilliant. #Confused

Edited by UncleJimmy

I guess I missed the memos this year, but for future reference: Someone please let me know ahead of time that even with the paid subscription for the event if I don’t stay on top of it to catch a specific match live that I won’t be able to go back and watch it later.  Thanks.   

28 minutes ago, ontherise219 said:

This is one of the problems with Indiana wrestling. So what if they see a video of you wrestling in December hopefully all coaches involved are helping their kids expand their games for February. But again we are worried about sneaking up on people 

Is this the same reason some coaches don't post results,  they don't want other coaches to scout their box score?

45 minutes ago, busstogate said:

That, and laziness.  I guess it beats sitting your kids against common opponents, though.

It's telling the kids their hard work should go unrecognized so that a coach can have a perceived advantage come sectional time. It doesn't make sense to me, maybe there is other rationale behind it, I'm just not seeing it.

Edited by Westforkwhite

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.