2017 Brecksville Invitational Holiday Tournament

TeamGarcia

1 hour ago, Dwilly said:

Great tourney for Indiana kids & congrats to all those who competed.  I know Decatur is an elite talent, as is Asa, but was it just me that Decatur looked much larger than Asa?

Not sure, he obviously made weight. Asa a big 26, just body types I guess . Decatur a explosive wrestler, quick on his feet. Like for Asa to stay in a 3 point stance in the match to counter act his attacks on his feet but like most matches your involved in he decides to wrestle him squared up. Decatur capitalizes on that that type of defense. They’ll tangle more through out the spring/Summer Grind . Might even train together again at Jordan Camps . Just gotta keep closing the gap. 

1 hour ago, TeamGarcia said:

Not sure, he obviously made weight. Asa a big 26, just body types I guess . Decatur a explosive wrestler, quick on his feet. Like for Asa to stay in a 3 point stance in the match to counter act his attacks on his feet but like most matches your involved in he decides to wrestle him squared up. Decatur capitalizes on that that type of defense. They’ll tangle more through out the spring/Summer Grind . Might even train together again at Jordan Camps . Just gotta keep closing the gap. 

And it appears Asa is closing that gap, at least since Disney! It’ll only make him better at the state tourney here in Indiana. 

Glad someone remembers that, just going to keep what we’re doing “feed him to the Wolves” got feed to them a lot there... lol ! #1, #2... at the time. Had #1 Silva on his hips a few times . 

16 minutes ago, navy80 said:

And it appears Asa is closing that gap, at least since Disney! It’ll only make him better at the state tourney here in Indiana. 

49 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

That's funny you say that about the 3 point stance because that's exactly what I thought was his best chance to slow him down. I don't think it's possible to stop him no matter if you are in a 3 point stance or a 300 point stance?. When they are that quick all you can hope to do is slow him down. 

It reminds me of a funny story of when I wrestled. I wrestled Nick Hull in the Spartan Classic Semis or Finals I believe it was and I remember what i was thinking after the first period was over. I was thinking it was physically not possible that another human could be as quick as he was. After watching the video several times over the years including recently with my dad, we always laugh at me when that third period starts. When it starts we were neutral and as the ref was blowing the whistle to wrestle, Hull just kinda flinched his head the slightest at the same time the ref was blowing the whistle to start and my dad swears till this day that I sprawled before the whistle was blown.??. There is no defense for something that you do not have time to react too. So that is why you have to already be down there as low as possible in the 3 point stance or some guys I've seen do very well slowing quickness down by kinda staying down low on one knee. I was really impressed with Decatur. I don't think we have anyone in Indiana that could beat him untill we get up around 138-145. I only see a few guys IN MY OWN OPINION that could beat him at the 138 pound weight class. I couldn't believe he wasn't on the P4P Rankings. Seems like a nice and humble kid too. The crazy thing is even tho he beat Asa convincingly,  I think there was a lot of things that Asa did positive and some things that Asa could learn from this match to make him overall alot better wrestler in the future (ex. Knowing which wrestlers to use a 3 point stance against and which ones to have a squared stance against). Maybe they meet again some day in the NCAA Championships(when it truly matters) and he gets his payback. Good luck the rest of the year and more importantly stay healthy.

18 minutes ago, Wrestling4EVER said:

That's funny you say that about the 3 point stance because that's exactly what I thought was his best chance to slow him down. I don't think it's possible to stop him no matter if you are in a 3 point stance or a 300 point stance?. When they are that quick all you can hope to do is slow him down. 

It reminds me of a funny story of when I wrestled. I wrestled Nick Hull in the Spartan Classic Semis or Finals I believe it was and I remember what i was thinking after the first period was over. I was thinking it was physically not possible that another human could be as quick as he was. After watching the video several times over the years including recently with my dad, we always laugh at me when that third period starts. When it starts we were neutral and as the ref was blowing the whistle to wrestle, Hull just kinda flinched his head the slightest at the same time the ref was blowing the whistle to start and my dad swears till this day that I sprawled before the whistle was blown.??. There is no defense for something that you do not have time to react too. So that is why you have to already be down there as low as possible in the 3 point stance or some guys I've seen do very well slowing quickness down by kinda staying down low on one knee. I was really impressed with Decatur. I don't think we have anyone in Indiana that could beat him untill we get up around 138-145. I only see a few guys IN MY OWN OPINION that could beat him at the 138 pound weight class. I couldn't believe he wasn't on the P4P Rankings. Seems like a nice and humble kid too. The crazy thing is even tho he beat Asa convincingly,  I think there was a lot of things that Asa did positive and some things that Asa could learn from this match to make him overall alot better wrestler in the future (ex. Knowing which wrestlers to use a 3 point stance against and which ones to have a squared stance against). Maybe they meet again some day in the NCAA Championships(when it truly matters) and he gets his payback. Good luck the rest of the year and more importantly stay healthy.

Great insight with Hull & You, I had the same with Steven Bradley back in our AAU days . I was always counting the lights though. :rolleyes: 

Thank You 

Edited by TeamGarcia

1 hour ago, TeamGarcia said:

Glad someone remembers that, just going to keep what we’re doing “feed him to the Wolves” got feed to them a lot there... lol ! #1, #2... at the time. Had #1 Silva on his hips a few times . 

I am a firm believer that you don’t grow unless you fail. And by fail I mean wrestle tough competition to make you better...you only get better when you’re getting beat, most of the time!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.