Takedown Leaders?

TripleB

1 hour ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Brad Milius of Yorktown state runner up moved in from Alabama had it I do believe..super duck was his go to but that got him caught in Mater dei Legend Nosko in the finals in a chin whip 

That was the name that came to mind for me as well.  That kid was great on his feet.

Just now, hogleg said:

That was the name that came to mind for me as well.  That kid was great on his feet.

He made a living on ppl reaching.. he would change levels so fast.. he took nosko down but met his fate of the chin whip... it's on YouTube the 03 Finals

16 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

That's why its a silly record.

It’s not a silly record #TheCountyLawyer ... I told my son in Middle School I’m not driving an hour to BFE to watch you pin a kid in 10 seconds . Give me my $ worth In gas.  It’s carried on to HS . He’ll have Avons Takedown Career record this year as a Jr. 

Personally I like to see a Tech/Pin before a Pin any day . 

Edited by TeamGarcia

6 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

I think milius had over 400.. he literally ONLY cut ppl.. that's all.. takedowns then cut.. they were intentionally gunning for that record

I would guess each of the Milius twins were both close to the record.  They took down and cut at a furious pace.  Coach McCormick could probably say for sure which one ended up with the most.

Edited by piscis1956

4 hours ago, CFleshman said:

To bad up here in the northeast they hit us with unsportsmanlike for taking kids down. 

And God forbid if you work them up after you take them down! Kyle was hit with so many "taunting" calls! Think he finished with around 250 takedowns 2016/2017.

7 hours ago, Fabio Jr. said:

When we took over we removed the fastest fall record from our room. Didn't want kids trying to throw a head lock in 12 seconds. 

I remember Snyder telling me that. That's going and a few other records I also laughed at with him. Back when I was coaching at mccutcheon 

16 hours ago, TeamGarcia said:

It’s not a silly record #TheCountyLawyer ... I told my son in Middle School I’m not driving an hour to BFE to watch you pin a kid in 10 seconds . Give me my $ worth In gas.  It’s carried on to HS . He’ll have Avons Takedown Career record this year as a Jr. 

Personally I like to see a Tech/Pin before a Pin any day . 

As the #TheCountyLawyer,  I should explain my comment.    I think  the take down and let em up strategy, that your son is successful at, is great.  Its a mentality that If I can beat you on your feet,  you're going to win the match. You taught your kid well.   I used to do it also.  This was big back in the late 80s and 90s.  I had my high school career and season record at 85 in a season in about 32 matches. But it lasted about 7 or 8 years till a stud came by and put up like 150.  That guy went onto be a 3 time NCAA All American, #1 on USA team and just missed Olympics in the trial.   But anyway your son getting the Avon record  is still legit because you guys wrestle #Tough Competition.   

But the silly part of it is  like other posters mentioned it can become taunting.   I think the strategy is fair as long the match is a going  concern,  the guy getting taken down still has a shot.  But like some other posters mentioned,  when the experienced wrestler is wrestling the inexperienced   freshman, and can take down at will it just playing with them and people see it as taunting.   And people know you're doing it to build up stats.   I saw the national record once was 400 something in a season from a guy nobody heard of. What's the point when most of those were junk takedowns.    I like seeing legit takedowns when a ranked wrestler beats another ranked wrestler for a TD.    I think the TD record at your school is legit, but putting up 4 hundred when 80% of those are junk is whats silly.

Also,  I get the give me $ worth of  gas comment.  I  used to tell my kid to not pin kids at youth tournaments.    Nothing worse than sitting in the stands all day when your kid barely wrestle.   I remember a day I took my kid to the Southmont tournament  10 years ago.  The tournament was overbooked,   I got their for weigh ins at 7AM and didn't get out till 5:30PM.   My kid had 3 matches where he pinned or got pinned in the first period.   I was there 10.5 hours and son wrestled 3 and half minutes.    I stopped going to tournaments after that.

Sorry it's kind of off the topic, but have you seen what Austin DeSanto is doing this year as a true freshman?  He is a takedown and cut machine.  I like how when he cuts he remains in contact with a tie that he prefers to immediately go into another takedown.  J. Brooks used to do this and I always thought it was impressive instead of pushing them away. 

43 minutes ago, leaveitonthemat said:

I like how when he cuts he remains in contact with a tie that he prefers to immediately go into another takedown.  J. Brooks used to do this and I always thought it was impressive instead of pushing them away. 

Thought it was a great idea too in order to protect from a reattach and also be ready to start another setup.   However, even though it’s only a light contact as the opponent gets to his feet,  almost every time the ref have stopped the match and gave out guy a warning for excessive force.   Apparently having your hands lightly on your opponent to guide them up to the position you want them is so poerwrful that it prevents your opponent from being able to get to their feet properly.  One match our wrestlers had literally 3 fingers touching the wrestlers head and they got called for excessive force for preventing the wrestler from returning to neutral.   If your being a down right bully and forcing them around (DeSanto does this a lot more than our guys have ever done) I can see it as a problem at the HS level.   But I can’t see a issue with just remaining in contact to ensure your not bring attacked yourself as you prepare for your own offense once the escape has Benn called.  I’d love to get some clarification on this one.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.