Mendez competing in the Ironman

Sig40

The Walsh Jesuit Ironman is doing a 4-man round robin Junior High exhibition showcase of the best middle schoolers in the country before the finals. 

Along with Jesse is:

-Nic Bouzakis(Lake Highland Prep FL)

-Ryan Crookham(Bethlehem Catholic PA)

-Gavin Brown(Legacy Christian OH)

Will we ever see the travel restriction rule removed so Indiana can get some teams in this tournament?

24 minutes ago, Sig40 said:

The Walsh Jesuit Ironman is doing a 4-man round robin Junior High exhibition showcase of the best middle schoolers in the country before the finals. 

Along with Jesse is:

Will we ever see the travel restriction rule removed so Indiana can get some teams in this tournament?

I expect to see Jesse get some revenge  from that loss at GFC! 

Has Jesse wrestled against any of these guys in the last couple years?    I don't follow all the ends and outs of top national MS talent but I do know Nic Bouzakis has gotten some solid accolades recently.  I'm sure the rest also have some major national credits to their name too. 

4 hours ago, Timeinandout said:

Fabio, how much does the school help when you travel and stay in hotels?  Sorry to high jack the thread...just curious.

Our club pays for hotels when we need them that are not State Series Events aka semi state for us we actually only stay over night for the Detroit Central Catholic Tourny and Team State

8 hours ago, MattM said:

Has Jesse wrestled against any of these guys in the last couple years?    I don't follow all the ends and outs of top national MS talent but I do know Nic Bouzakis has gotten some solid accolades recently.  I'm sure the rest also have some major national credits to their name too. 

Jesse has wrestled Nic several times. Jesse majored him The first time they wrestled, then 2 months later Nic beat him in finals at USA Nationals in a close match.  Nic then beat him pretty good at grand river rumble. The last match was 2 weeks ago where jesse was winning 11-7 and got cradled.  Jesse is pretty excited about wrestling him this quickly  

Jesse beat crookham in TOC finals 2 years ago. Crookham is a 3 or 4 time super32 champ.

Jesse and Gavin have never been the same weight, but Gavin is definitely elite. It should be 3 great matches. 

Edited by Sig40

On 10/25/2017 at 6:41 PM, Sig40 said:

Jesse has wrestled Nic several times. Jesse majored him The first time they wrestled, then 2 months later Nic beat him in finals at USA Nationals in a close match.  Nic then beat him pretty good at grand river rumble. The last match was 2 weeks ago where jesse was winning 11-7 and got cradled.  Jesse is pretty excited about wrestling him this quickly  

Jesse beat crookham in TOC finals 2 years ago. Crookham is a 3 or 4 time super32 champ.

Jesse and Gavin have never been the same weight, but Gavin is definitely elite. It should be 3 great matches. 

Crookham just won HS division 113lbs at Super32 and Bouzakis took 5th at 106lbs. This is going to be an awesome round robin. 

1 hour ago, Sig40 said:

Crookham just won HS division 113lbs at Super32 and Bouzakis took 5th at 106lbs. This is going to be an awesome round robin. 

I watched this kid! First 8th grader ever to win Super 32 high school division! Think about that. The best of the best have tried and failed. Straight up beast! 

Ironman will be must watch.

3 hours ago, Mattyb said:

I watched this kid! First 8th grader ever to win Super 32 high school division! Think about that. The best of the best have tried and failed. Straight up beast! 

Ironman will be must watch.

I don't want to put a complete squash on what is a very impressive accomplishment, but I have read on themat.com that he may actually be 15 yo, which would be closer to a freshman in age than a MS student. With that said he still deserves accolades for winning a big national tournament considering most of his competition would still have been older than him.  He’s a straight up stud and will no doubt win some more major events before he’s done.  But in terms of promoting the win it doesn't sound like he is of normal 8th grade age 

And yes it’s going to be quite the set of wrestling matches at Ironman.  

Edited by MattM

9 hours ago, Sig40 said:

Jesse is obviously a next level kid on the mat & seems like a great all around person. I look forward to watching him grow as a wrestler & young man moving forward.  He put on quite a show in his division at MS Super 32.  Did you contemplate putting him in the HS division, and what was the reason for not? Just curious.

You may want to double check that it seems like he would be 14 1/2 at the most. My son is only 17 1/2 now and is in his senior year already so at 15 1/2 he was a sophomore so that may be incorrect but it could be right I guess . 

28 minutes ago, Bruins2013 said:

You may want to double check that it seems like he would be 14 1/2 at the most. My son is only 17 1/2 now and is in his senior year already so at 15 1/2 he was a sophomore so that may be incorrect but it could be right I guess . 

I re-read the post.  That person said he will be 15yo in 8th grade.  So sure he could be 14 and turning 15 at some point in the school year.  Sure he’s still a little older than the average MS student when someone says he got a HS title as a 8th grader.  But it slightly more within the realm of acceptability than someone already being 15 this early in 8th grade.    Even so as I said earlier it was a great showing when you consider much of his competition was still a year or two older than him. 

Edited by MattM

6 minutes ago, Bruins2013 said:

I may be confused did he win the middle school division or high school division I thought one post said he won the middle school division 

You may be getting two different story lines crossed since the thread got on a side tangent.

Jesse Mendez won the MS Division at Super 32.

One of the wrestlers Jesse will be facing during the upcoming Ironman MS Showcase is Crookham.  He just won the Super32 HS Division as an 8th grader, though he maybe a slightly older one. That is the age discussion that we were having in some of the last few posts.  

Edited by MattM

12 hours ago, Dwilly said:

Jesse is obviously a next level kid on the mat & seems like a great all around person. I look forward to watching him grow as a wrestler & young man moving forward.  He put on quite a show in his division at MS Super 32.  Did you contemplate putting him in the HS division, and what was the reason for not? Just curious.

I signed Jesse up for Middle School before he had a qualifier for the high school division. To be truthful I did not think he was ready, until after he wrestled in the Grappler. I then attempted to switch him to High School, but they said he couldn't switch divisions because high school was sold out. I sent quite a few emails, but they are strict with their rules. Jesse was bummed when he saw kids he has beaten getting all American honors and in this case winning, but he also enjoyed winning a belt in MS. 

In reference to Crookham's age, I thought it said he turned 15 at the beginning of this month which doesn't make him much older then most 8th graders. I showed Jesse the negative comments about Ryan and he was upset that people would not just give Ryan props and respect how hard of an accomplishment it is to win Super32(HS) at any age level. 

On 10/24/2017 at 1:47 PM, Sig40 said:

Along with Jesse is:

Nope restriction will always be there till the end of time... unfortunately. AWESOME opportunity. 

7 hours ago, Sig40 said:

I signed Jesse up for Middle School before he had a qualifier for the high school division. To be truthful I did not think he was ready, until after he wrestled in the Grappler. I then attempted to switch him to High School, but they said he couldn't switch divisions because high school was sold out. I sent quite a few emails, but they are strict with their rules. Jesse was bummed when he saw kids he has beaten getting all American honors and in this case winning, but he also enjoyed winning a belt in MS. 

In reference to Crookham's age, I thought it said he turned 15 at the beginning of this month which doesn't make him much older then most 8th graders. I showed Jesse the negative comments about Ryan and he was upset that people would not just give Ryan props and respect how hard of an accomplishment it is to win Super32(HS) at any age level. 

Completely makes sense.  Thanks for the response.  Wherever you guys decide it's best for him to land next year, I look forward to following him & good luck at Ironman.

Edited by Dwilly

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.