Fight Shorts/shirt

84headhunter

It is a competition option for this coming season.  However, there are some specific clothing rules (mostly dealing with length) that you have to adhere to.  So if you are thinking about switching your best best is to contact a vendor (like E.I. Sports) that can go over the specification.

Straight from NFHS.org Website

This revision to Rule 4-1-1 was one of 11 rules changes recommended by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Wrestling Rules Committee at its April 2-4 meeting in Indianapolis, and all changes were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

The compression shorts or shorts designed for wrestling shall be school-issued and shall have a minimum 4-inch inseam that does not extend below the knee. The form-fitted compression shirt shall not cover or extend below the elbow and shall have a minimum 3-inch tail. The shirt may be worn under a singlet or with compression shorts or shorts designed for wrestling. 

Specific language was developed regarding undergarment requirements for female contestants wearing a one-piece singlet or a form-fitted compression shirt, as well as for male contestants wearing shorts designed for wrestling.

Just remember it has to be a school issued uniform, so wrestlers can't wear their own personal items. 

I'm not sure how many teams will be changing over to the new uniform yet, but I imagine here in a few years that will be what the majority of them are wearing. Our club is giving these as part of registration instead of singlets this year. 

Edited by sslaymon

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, wrestleliferfan said:

How does jay County get away with wearing Dri-Fit tees and "basketball" type shorts? I was shocked when I seen these at ECIC and again at Wayne Co Classic. Kids shirts were below knees and baggy, opponent had tough time gripping for take downs. 

The wrestlers that wear them "get away" with it because they are legal. They are not below the knees.

I understand the concerns with these new uniforms, but do your guys practice in singlets or all compression gear everyday? If not, these aren't an issue as a lot of our guys still practice in t-shirt, shorts, and even  sweat shirts/pants.

Yes the shirts should be form fitting and snug, don't have to be fully compressed, but at least not baggy. The shorts, even right above the knee seems to be long, I think they should make clearer rules on the inseam length set to a certain length so all shorts are same length. This would mean shorts for little guys can be bigger and big guys a little shorter, but I believe a better definition than just above the knees should to be addressed.

I think the main issue comes down to the length and tightness of the shorts.  Some companies maybe selling shorts that fall outside of set guidelines for these shorts, but the coaches are assuming they are getting ones that fall within the rules.  I have seen some teams have short and very close fitting fight shorts that I don't see any problem with, but I have seen other that were pretty long and baggy.  Same with the tightness of the compression shirts where some teams look more like a loose fitting dry-fit shirt than an actual compression shirt.  Something tells me they are going to have to start policing this more of the state organizations may go back to outlawing them.  

19 minutes ago, MattM said:

I think the main issue comes down to the length and tightness of the shorts.  Some companies maybe selling shorts that fall outside of set guidelines for these shorts, but the coaches are assuming they are getting ones that fall within the rules.  I have seen some teams have short and very close fitting fight shorts that I don't see any problem with, but I have seen other that were pretty long and baggy.  Same with the tightness of the compression shirts where some teams look more like a loose fitting dry-fit shirt than an actual compression shirt.  Something tells me they are going to have to start policing this more of the state organizations may go back to outlawing them.  

I'm not sure if it's an issue when there haven't been many, if any, reports of it being an issue.  There have been "opinions" based on looks, but very few issues that have had an impact on the actual wrestling

To me it looks like we just need to tweak the rules and regulations on it. This is what I know for sure.  We wrestled a school and the shorts were baggy and the material was what I would consider more basketball shorts material. We saw many of the wrestlers wearing the gear over their singlet before they took it off and wrestled in the singlet. I watched one of our wrestlers hand get caught in the shorts twice which was annoying and if it was a close match and stopped or hindered a move it would have been angering.  The shirt was also not form fitting but that wasn't as concerning.

Again I like the idea of a 2 piece uniform.  But it looks like we will need to regulate it more.

26 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

To me it looks like we just need to tweak the rules and regulations on it. This is what I know for sure.  We wrestled a school and the shorts were baggy and the material was what I would consider more basketball shorts material. We saw many of the wrestlers wearing the gear over their singlet before they took it off and wrestled in the singlet. I watched one of our wrestlers hand get caught in the shorts twice which was annoying and if it was a close match and stopped or hindered a move it would have been angering.  The shirt was also not form fitting but that wasn't as concerning.

Again I like the idea of a 2 piece uniform.  But it looks like we will need to regulate it more.

I don't know about whatever school you are referring to but Jay County's gear was made by Rudis. Not exactly basketball shorts manufacturer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.