Jason Tsirtis

Just speculation but I think the rankers are being cautious on ranking him until he appears on the mat and shows he's close to his old form. He had a rough season and then a layoff right after, so it's kinda hard to show on paper who would move out of the rankings to make room for him.   Plus it's still unclear what weight he will eventually land at.  He was listed on the roster last I checked.  Hopefully he'll come out close to his old form and can prove he's rankings worthy early in the season. 

• 2 weeks later...

Possible could be out at the start.  May depend on how things go at the College Opens they attend.  Shields is a very solid wrestlers that’s threatening to AA this year.  Do Tsirtsis would have needed to be close to his old form anyway.  Coming off that much of a career layoff, I fully expected a close match.  But it’s still a disheartening to know Jason isn’t where we hoped he would be at this point. 

Does anyone know if he’s academically eligible from the start of this semester or do they have him on some type of academic probation until semester due to his previous situation.  I know he wasn’t failing at NW, but wasn’t sure if the switch due to academics still put him on some type of athletic restriction to start the year.   If so he may not be quite back to his old wrestling form since their isn’t as much motivation to get there in October when he won’t be able to hit the mat for the team until January.  

Even if if there isn’t a restriction I wouldn’t be surprised with the layoff he’s had if it’s a slow ramp up before he’s closer to his old form.  Along with the fact he may likely need to drop another weight class To increase his chances of success.  Although ASU has a solid wrestler there too. 

Not to mention he likely needs to make some adjustments to that form to be a viable AA candidate this season. Some of the last few years of NCAA rules tweaks haven’t exactly favor his earlier defensive style.  

In the end if he is able finishes off with a degree and can transition into a solid post college life then the change is still useful even if he never end up starting for ASU.   But man it would be nice to see him make a comeback and have one more serious run at another title.

Edited by MattM

20 hours ago, MattM said:

Possible could be out at the start.  May depend on how things go at the College Opens they attend.  Shields is a very solid wrestlers that’s threatening to AA this year.  Do Tsirtsis would have needed to be close to his old form anyway.  Coming off that much of a career layoff, I fully expected a close match.  But it’s still a disheartening to know Jason isn’t where we hoped he would be at this point. 

Does anyone know if he’s academically eligible from the start of this semester or do they have him on some type of academic probation until semester due to his previous situation.  I know he wasn’t failing at NW, but wasn’t sure if the switch due to academics still put him on some type of athletic restriction to start the year.   If so he may not be quite back to his old wrestling form since their isn’t as much motivation to get there in October when he won’t be able to hit the mat for the team until January.  

Even if if there isn’t a restriction I wouldn’t be surprised with the layoff he’s had if it’s a slow ramp up before he’s closer to his old form.  Along with the fact he may likely need to drop another weight class To increase his chances of success.  Although ASU has a solid wrestler there too. 

Not to mention he likely needs to make some adjustments to that form to be a viable AA candidate this season. Some of the last few years of NCAA rules tweaks haven’t exactly favor his earlier defensive style.  

In the end if he is able finishes off with a degree and can transition into a solid post college life then the change is still useful even if he never end up starting for ASU.   But man it would be nice to see him make a comeback and have one more serious run at another title.

He lost 3-2.  That's about where he was when he last wrestled.