Parris releases list of Schools

MattM

Parris obviously has some outstanding grades so he has the pick of the litter as far as the educational part.

You can narrow choices down by many factors

Practice partners
Virginia Tech will have Ty Walz around
Michigan will probably have Coon around
Arizona State has Pendelton and maybe some guys working towards the Olympics

Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, and Michigan are all pretty close. Not sure how much being close to home will factor in.

School success
Virginia Tech, Arizona State, and Michigan are all having some very good success.
Nebraska has a really young team that will be very tough in the coming years.
Princeton has also been on the rise

Note the actual piece said nothing to do about his top 8 schools as the headline did.  All it did is list the 8 schools that have visited him and said Princeton was still to visit.  Very misleading headline by FLO.

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Parris obviously has some outstanding grades so he has the pick of the litter as far as the educational part.

You can narrow choices down by many factors

Practice partners
Virginia Tech will have Ty Walz around
Michigan will probably have Coon around
Arizona State has Pendelton and maybe some guys working towards the Olympics

Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, and Michigan are all pretty close. Not sure how much being close to home will factor in.

School success
Virginia Tech, Arizona State, and Michigan are all having some very good success.
Nebraska has a really young team that will be very tough in the coming years.
Princeton has also been on the rise

Good stuff, but don't forget the football factor.  How much does he want to play football and which schools would let him try to play both?

Unless he is in a hurry to choose, if I am Parris (and I am very well aware I am not!), I'm waiting to see what develops with football offers and what other wrestling schools may enter the fray.  Where does Ohio St come into play with Mason?  Where he is from and training in Ohio is OSU a favorite of his?  What do they have coming in after Snyder?  

Lots of choices for Mr. Parris which is a beautiful thing.  Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

26 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Where does Ohio St come into play with Mason?  Where he is from and training in Ohio is OSU a favorite of his?  What do they have coming in after Snyder?  .

Ohio State wrestling-wise picked up a top HWT recruit this coming year in Chase Singletery from Blair Academy.  Plus, they have a couple underclassman HWT's too.  So they are not really looking for a HWT in the 2018 class.  

Edited by MattM

5 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Hopefully he shocks everyone and chooses Penn State to train with Cael

Unfortunately for the Indiana PSU fans, the Nitteny Lions have another Neville coming in to take over after older brother.  

14 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Note the actual piece said nothing to do about his top 8 schools as the headline did.  All it did is list the 8 schools that have visited him and said Princeton was still to visit.  Very misleading headline by FLO.

Those guys are good at communicating with the kids I know Willie reached out to Brayton to nail down weights I would Think Nomad does the same. I would say the article is just as advertised his top 8 schools it doesnt say they are ranked or what not. But hey content creation is hard. 

Taking a look at it from an "academics-first" point of view **

• Illinois ranked #1 undergraduate engineering 2017
  • Virginia Tech #8
  • Michigan #16
  • Arizona State #22
  • Princeton #23
  • Northwestern #31
  • Nebraska and IU not ranked

Of course, as most know, college is somewhat dependent on the resources available, and largely dependent on what effort you put into it to take advantage of the opportunities.  I will say that Adam Coon is a pretty strong example of an Engineering student that has also been able to combine studies with a very strong performance on the mat.

With respect to the IU mention, curious what others think of any similarities between Parris's athleticism as a college heavyweight and Adam Chalfant who wrestling at IU after a football stint at another school

** according to CollegeChoice 2017, using data points from U.S. News and World Report, Payscale.org, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and information provided by schools (LINK)

15 minutes ago, TheNextDynasty said:

Kinda curious why Purdue isn't in the mix if he plans to be an engineering major? 

I would say the fact Purdue has Streck with three years of eligibility left means they are not looking to offer a HWT a scholarship in the 2018 recruiting class.  

Edited by MattM

On 7/14/2017 at 11:36 PM, MattM said:

I would say the fact Purdue has Streck with three years of eligibility left means they are not looking to offer a HWT a scholarship in the 2018 recruiting class.  

not even if that HWT is Mason Parris ? 

18 minutes ago, IWFTKWC11 said:

not even if that HWT is Mason Parris ? 

It money are unlimited sure, but they have to use that scholarship money to try and fill a few other spots in the lineup too.  

Purdue wrestling may not be going after Parris, but I think that the football team is giving him a look. Purdue engineering could be a big factor in not just which school he picks, but which sport. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.