NFHS Rule Changes

Y2CJ41

I'm a fan of the wrestler in control is in and opponent is on line, near fall and fall being there.

Don't care either way for the shirt/short combo or singlet, but if it somehow magically makes out numbers increase by 25% like they want, then sure.

Edited by sslaymon

I'm a fan of the wrestler in control is in and opponent is on line, near fall and fall being there.

Don't care either way for the shirt/short combo or singlet, but if it somehow magically makes out numbers increase by 25% like they want, then sure.

I've said this a few times about the compression gear. I think it is good, but it won't be the magic bullet that some are wanting it to be. Bigger kids still won't be fans of wearing tight clothing, period, whether it's a singlet or compression gear.

Shoulders or scapula of the offensive wrestler?

The committee approved two changes in Rule 5-11 related to falls and near falls. In 5-11-1, the shoulders or scapula of the offensive wrestler no longer must be inbounds to earn a fall. The committee agreed that wrestling should continue if the offensive wrestler’s supporting parts remain inbounds and no body part of the defensive wrestler goes off the mat. In 5-11-5, “unless any part of the shoulders or both scapulae of the defensive wrestler is inbounds” was eliminated. If wrestling is continuing during a match, near falls and falls will be awarded/earned regardless of the out-of-bounds line.

The committee approved two changes in Rule 5-11 related to falls and near falls. In 5-11-1, the shoulders or scapula of the offensive wrestler no longer must be inbounds to earn a fall. The committee agreed that wrestling should continue if the offensive wrestler’s supporting parts remain inbounds and no body part of the defensive wrestler goes off the mat. In 5-11-5, “unless any part of the shoulders or both scapulae of the defensive wrestler is inbounds” was eliminated. If wrestling is continuing during a match, near falls and falls will be awarded/earned regardless of the out-of-bounds line.

They must constitute it being offensive if you are on your back. As a coach I would fully agree!

I will be referring to these shorts only as "shorts designed for wrestling" in all of my interactions. "Hey man! Nice shorts-designed-for-wrestling you've got there!" 

I do look forward to not giving kids the excuse of "I don't want to wear a singlet" as a cop-out so to why they aren't wrestling. 

Edited by CoachJoyce

I like to hear from a IHSAA State credential ref. on how they are going to view this new rule. My question is.... is this College Out of bounds rules ? Or is this a water down version of it .

And be sure to call the shorts a cumbersome name such as "shorts designed for wrestling" as many times as possible in all communication about them. 

I will be referring to these shorts only as "shorts designed for wrestling" in all of my interactions. "Hey man! Nice shorts-designed-for-wrestling you've got there!" 

I have had 5 or so teachers ask what are "shorts designed for wrestling" already today. 

I understand the desire not to be associated with MMA in this age range. I just find the struggle to find a name for the shorts a bit comical. I think they will of course quickly just become known as "wrestling shorts" in kids' homes. In the meantime, I don't think it would have been so harmful to call them "grappling shorts" in recognition of their prior association with grappling-related sports, including our own. It wouldn't even have been strange for them to introduce them as "shorts designed for wrestling", then "these wrestling shorts", and finally, simply "wrestling shorts" as they progressed in the description. But to keep calling them "shorts designed for wrestling" a dozen times just draws more attention to it and solidifies the perception that they couldn't find a name for them and wanted to avoid "fight shorts."

compression shorts or shorts designed for wrestling - this would imply two completely different styles of shorts, one compression and the other perhaps not compression. Could members of the same team wear the 2 different shorts in a match or will all members of the team be required to wear the same type of shorts? Those who want compression, those who do not want compression but want the second choice yet to be defined (perhaps looser fitting)?

compression shorts or shorts designed for wrestling - this would imply two completely different styles of shorts, one compression and the other perhaps not compression. Could members of the same team wear the 2 different shorts in a match or will all members of the team be required to wear the same type of shorts? Those who want compression, those who do not want compression but want the second choice yet to be defined (perhaps looser fitting)?

Also, can you change uniform mid-match? You're wearing your singlet with a pair of "shorts designed for wrestling" over your singlet and a compression shirt under your singlet. It's headed to overtime and your opponent is getting his tape fixed. You're sweatier and slipperier now, so you quickly pull the shirt off from under your singlet and slide off your "shorts designed for wrestling." Is that cool?

I like to hear from a IHSAA State credential ref. on how they are going to view this new rule. My question is.... is this College Out of bounds rules ? Or is this a water down version of it .

No, not college out of bounds. At least not yet. I do think that they are moving that direction, though. Also, keep in mind that the rule changes that the NFHS passed are still subject to IHSAA adoption. They more than likely will be adopted as written, but they dont necessarily have to be. Case in point the gray shirts for refs... they were allowed by the NFHS 3-4 years before the ISHSAA approved them.

Going to Virginia Beach and Disney this year. Betting I see a few sets of these (regardless of price). Going to take off like wild fire (I think).

At my house... my little one wants the new uniforms. My oldest wants to squeeze into a youth large singlet at 170 pounds. So kind of a mixed review at the mattyb house.

Edited by Mattyb

Interestingly I have seen a few ads with the new uniform and the prices might keep many teams from getting a set early on. Usually singlets are around $50 and I'm seeing the new uniform at $70-90 from some places.

A person could get the set much cheaper with a little research and work.

I've said this a few times about the compression gear. I think it is good, but it won't be the magic bullet that some are wanting it to be. Bigger kids still won't be fans of wearing tight clothing, period, whether it's a singlet or compression gear.

I think it benefits the fans if the compression shirt keeps certain body parts from popping out of the singlet.

I think we should adopt Tuxedo tee shirts instead....classiest refs in the country

I wouldn't want our officials to be associated with the mafia and gambling activity that the name "tuxedo" shirt would immediately evoke in all our minds. Would your proposed "shirt designed for being an official" have a specific sleeve length and material constitution? Would the shirt designed for being an official also have standard markings across all regions or could there be style and coloration differences based on an area's preferences for certain historical styles or accessories (cummerbunds, suspenders, etc.)? Would the shirt designed for being an official be required or initially introduced as an optional shirt choice?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.