Seymour Wrestling

CoachW33

You would probably have to ask the football coaching staff or other directly associated with it any specific question on their personal thoughts or support toward wrestling. Maybe Gridiron Digest Messageboard would help with that.

I can speak from what I know of for the wrestling side of thing with support to football. Seymour currently has football players at the HS and MS level that are also members of the wrestling team too. We have tailgates before home games and encouraged wrestler who play football to be leaders on the field and show how wrestling has improved them as a athlete, a leader, and a person. We've talked to wrestlers about staying active in the off season and if they choose to do a fall sport like football to make sure they put in the work in the classroom to keep their grades up and the work on the field/weight room to stay in good athletic shape. We've spoke with the football coaches on different occasions about the off season weight program we offer and the opportunity it provides to improve the athletes. We also have offered to offer to take on some young football players that could be good players on the field if they gain some more basic skills (balance, coordination, athleticism, strength, leadership, determination). Sometimes the offer is taken up by some of the players, and sometimes it is not.

As with other sports and at other schools finding common ground on off-season practice time is sometimes difficult to achieve, but attempts are made to accommodate the student-athletes to attend both sporting practices. Or at least show they are at one and putting in the work that would necessary to make improvements if either sport. As should be the case anywhere, we are always looking for more ways to connect with the football coaches/players to help show that wrestling skills can help the players make further gains on the gridiron too.

Edited by MattM

I may be wrong but I feel like you gave me the politically correct answer for no.

I appreciate it. It appears the new former head coach at Seymour is headed North.

Edited by CoachW33

I may be wrong but I feel like you gave me the politically correct answer for no.

I appreciate it. It appears the new former head coach at Seymour is headed North.

Well I again can only speak from our side of thing and not for their personal feelings. Could the relationship be closer sure, but most every sport could have a closer relationship. If you are indeed getting a new coach (him or anyone). I'd advise trying to work with them early to see what can be accomplished. The more the coaches see the coaching,team, and fan support the more willing the coach will likely be to work with them. Edited by MattM

I was thinking this was about me. Only joking, however I feel like I need to talk to a coach from Seymour to talk about a gear exchange.

Edited by MattM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.