Improving the Wrestling Experience at the Indiana HS level

Whether our goals are to improve participation rates, quality of wrestlers, parity, media exposure, attendance or all of the above, evaluating how we can improve the "Wrestling Experience" for all consumers is crucial.

What are your thoughts on improving the Wrestling Experience for one or all of these respective groups?

1) Wrestlers

2) Fans

3) Parents

4) Coaches

5) Referees

6) Student Body (non-wrestlers)

Secondarily how do believe that would or wouldn't impact the other consumer groups

A couple thoughts i have stem from what many of the coaches are already doing, and that's reaching out for support from other sports/depts within the school, and take it a few steps further.

1) Reach out the Band Director and sell him on the idea of his/her kids performing at your home meets. It may not be that hard of a sell, as it gives their kids another opportunity to perform, and very close to home. This would not only have a big impact on the atmosphere and environment but also attendance as you'd have the band kids parents there as well. Even a small jazz band group would help pump energy into your gym, and with the Band Director overseeing the performance it wouldn't add to the already long list of items that a coach has to intensely manage.

2) Reach out to the Art Teacher(s) in your school, and see if you can find talented art students to make meet/event posters. You can have them made like concert posters, with even possible art references to some or one of the pieces the band might be playing at your event. Or you could take them in the direction I'm sure Fabio would approve of, and gear them like WWE promotions, maybe even providing feature matchups or your star wrestlers you would like to highlight. The art dept might also be able to help with some cool wrestling related decorations for your room. (possible improving the wrestlers practice experience or the coaches)

3) Reach out to the Journalism dept, or school newspaper. See if you can get an underclassmen or two to develop as your team reporters. They would be able to help cover or photo your wrestlers and even write stories (to be approved by an appointed member of the coaching staff) This would help get the stories out that local papers have room for but the coaches often don't have the time with all the other hats they are wearing.

I'll add a few more later, but I'm interested in hearing the thoughts of everyone.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.