New IHSAA State Series Alignments

Y2CJ41

Here are the four Semi States since google maps only allows a certain number of layers...I kinda did my own borders based on the schools 

East Chicago - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YnPPeTHV-ibwHKEmN9C0CMgbXoY&usp=sharing

Fort Wayne - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PzP5Q_QCYBek5NuKH3H47x2O_Io&usp=sharing

New Castle - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1po66XQp-Zj_tM-PefepnxyuuCt8&usp=sharing

Evansville - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cs3pGqHsBosEdpBNsxg5HKflvWA&usp=sharing

Id recommend a computer to view as I am not sure how the mobile experience will be....you should be able to click on each sectional and the list of schools and my border should pop up

Over all it looks pretty good with only a few head scratchers.....

Great Map...If it were my decision I may consider...Crawfordsville from New Castle to East Chicago, Plymouth to Fort Wayne from East Chicago and Delta to New Castle from Fort Wayne. And in the spirit of travel I would look to moving the Evansville SS to Bloomington or Bedford if possible.

"Better was not defined nesacarilly, but the general idea was to make the tournament more fair and equal. There was some instruction to try and toughen up some sectionals and weaken others to make things more fair."

Not sure how making the sectional Merrillville and Portage is in weaker would be fair, this basically solidifies that they will send all 14 to regional most with 1 seeds which would improve both of their teams chances of sending almost 14 to semi state.  I am not saying that these teams dont have the talent ,coaching or capacity to do that without the realignment but that did not make things "more fair".  Merrillville and Portage will battle for state record of consectutive sectional championships now 

Edited by indianmorg

How about just using natural geography and if necessary move teams on borders to the next closest semi state, regional, or sectional. The strength of each will always fluctuate and not really worth the constant changes to accommodate. Indiana has 92 counties and divide those by 4 semi states equates to 23 counties per semi state. Then shuffle the border schools to equal it out.

How about just using natural geography and if necessary move teams on borders to the next closest semi state, regional, or sectional. The strength of each will always fluctuate and not really worth the constant changes to accommodate. Indiana has 92 counties and divide those by 4 semi states equates to 23 counties per semi state. Then shuffle the border schools to equal it out.

The big issue with that is counties are not equal in land size, population and/or number of schools. Which is a big reason the range of the southern semi-state is dramatically different than some of the central and northern ones. So it would be a big shift if boarder counties and in the end basically equal out to the similar set up to what we have now.

The next issue would be to consider the locations of large enough facilities to host a semi-state, as well as, access to main roads that will allow you to travel to that location within a reasonable time frame. Again why the southern semi-state set up is a lot different than the options in the central and north.

Edited by MattM

I guess it's too much to ask for the representatives at this clandestine meeting to email the coaches in their regional and explain to them the suggestions, and rationale, they presented to the IHSAA. Some of the changes sound like they are well thought out and necessary while others need some explaining. Then again, maybe there wasn't a representative from every regional in attendance. We don't know anything for sure since it's all top secret. 

Here are some numbers based on the average genius rating of each sectional:

Top sectional average genius rating - 52.38

Bottom sectional avg genius rating - 11.15

Top 3 sectionals are all above 45

Bottom 3 sectionals are all below 18

The average sectional is 31.3

When the range between the top and bottom is nearly 4x the value of the bottom sectional, it is difficult to say that equality and fairness were achieved.

I realize that it is not possible to  make each sectional perfectly equal, but this seems extreme.

Also, removing two smaller schools from the Avon sectional in favor of two much larger schools made an already difficult sectional a real meatgrinder feeding into, arguably, the toughest regional in the state.

I guess it's too much to ask for the representatives at this clandestine meeting to email the coaches in their regional and explain to them the suggestions, and rationale, they presented to the IHSAA. Some of the changes sound like they are well thought out and necessary while others need some explaining. Then again, maybe there wasn't a representative from every regional in attendance. We don't know anything for sure since it's all top secret. 

You have been told what you need to know.

The information is too sensitive to release to coaches.  Ask anymore and your ISP provider might be getting a call to see what YOU have been up to.

Serious question, do you guys think that it would be better for the wrestling communities relationship with the IHSAA to go against the request of commissioner Faulkens and discuss the meeting? That's literally the only options- either follow his request or don't.

That's the problem with the IHSAA. Has to be secretive on every little thing it shouldn't. Transparency is the name of the game in today's world.

Serious question, do you guys think that it would be better for the wrestling communities relationship with the IHSAA to go against the request of commissioner Faulkens and discuss the meeting? That's literally the only options- either follow his request or don't.

As a representative, I would ask Mr. Faulkens why there is such a need for secrecy. I would highlight the fact that holding a secret meeting with secret representatives who were secretly chosen by the IHSAA sends the wrong message to the wrestling community. Do the other commissioners operate in the same fashion for football or basketball (Faulkens may oversee one of those, I don't know)? I would be shocked if they realign those sports based off the input of 16 coaches randomly chosen throughout the state. I could be wrong though...

The silver lining in all of this is that I now I have a modern day example of a dictatorship and oligarchy to use in my social studies curriculum. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was emailing with Commissioner Faulkens today about the NFHS rules, and the sectional realignment came up.  He requested that I share the following information with our wrestling community.

-Let me provide some information for you to share with your membership.  Three years ago when we met, the alignment we proposed was tabled because of several changes in sectional and regional sites.  In the interim, the Board made several changes to the proposed alignment of the coaches.  What you see approved by the Board is not what the coaches proposed.  That is the right of the Board.  They made changes to the proposed team alignments yesterday.  It happens.  It is their tournament.

Wrong.   The tournament belongs to the kids sweating and grinding in the rooms and the people willing to pay money to see them compete.   Even if we can erroneously assume the kids and fans are simply guests in the tournament on a year-to-year basis, where does that leave the board in displaying the custom of hospitality that is as ancient as "their" sport of wrestling?

Edited by busstogate

Wrong.   The tournament belongs to the kids sweating and grinding in the rooms and the people willing to pay money to see them compete.   Even if we can erroneously assume the kids and fans are simply guests in the tournament on a year-to-year basis, where does that leave the board in displaying the custom of hospitality that is as ancient as "their" sport of wrestling?

How dare you 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.