Venues

bluechipper

I was conversing midday yesterday with some friends, and we were wondering about what the state finals would be like in a different venue. To my understanding, there's a little over 10,000 people per session at the IHSAA state finals. Bankers Life Fieldhouse is an 18,000+ seat multi-purpose arena, and if a little over 10,000 are at each session, that leaves roughly 7,000-8,000 seats empty during the tournament. What would the event look like in Evansville's Ford Center (11,000+ seating) or Fort Wayne's Allen County War Memorial Coliseum (13,000+ seating)? I don't expect the tournament to run any different, just wondering what the atmosphere would be like in a different venue. Many talk about home-field advantage in sports, and that makes me wonder about matches like the Red/Lee match. Would an already pro-Lee crowd be more intense if the match took place in Evansville? Curious and interested in hearing opinions on this.

Edited by bluechipper

I don't actually think a smaller venue would make much change to the atmosphere.  In BL most of the 'empty seats' are just the "nose bleed" seats.  The area close to the wrestling is still pretty much packed.  So I don't think you get an 'empty' sort of feeling that happens in some cases when the venue is much too large for the event. I am also curious about the capacity of BL because it seems like some of the seating is retracted, so I'm not sure how many empty seats there actually are.

I was conversing midday yesterday with some friends, and we were wondering about what the state finals would be like in a different venue. To my understanding, there's a little over 10,000 people per session at the IHSAA state finals. Bankers Life Fieldhouse is an 18,000+ seat multi-purpose arena, and if a little over 10,000 are at each session, that leaves roughly 7,000-8,000 seats empty during the tournament. What would the event look like in Evansville's Ford Center (11,000+ seating) or Fort Wayne's Allen County War Memorial Coliseum (13,000+ seating)? I don't expect the tournament to run any different, just wondering what the atmosphere would be like in a different venue. Many talk about home-field advantage in sports, and that makes me wonder about matches like the Red/Lee match. Would an already pro-Lee crowd be more intense if the match took place in Evansville? Curious and interested in hearing opinions on this.

A lot of people go to Indy for state tournament due to Indy's central location.   Its right in the middle of the state.  If you moved it to Evansville,  1000s people would not attend because they wouldn't want to drive there.     It would just be very  inconvenient.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.