Favorite wrestling moment ever!

Ball & Chain

What was your favorite, most memorable, best memory that had to do with wrestling?

My favorite wrestling moment by far, and it sticks with me to this day is when Kayla Miracle didn't make weight at semi state, and went on to cut her pony tail off and went out and competed like a warrior! That was the best, and most purest moment for me ever! She made every one of the wrestlers take notice to "what ever it takes"

For me it had to be Dan Young's 145lb State Finals match.  I recall thinking he was controlling the match and about to get another take-down when he got countered and put on his back.  He fought like mad to avoid the fall and as he came out I was thinking "he just lost it".  I knew even with a reversal he'd have to cut and get another take-down with around 30 seconds left.  Instead he came up with a cradle for the pin.  I love the picture we have in the wrestling room of him celebrating with the scoreboard in the background b/c he's actually behind since the near-fall was never awarded.

What was your favorite, most memorable, best memory that had to do with wrestling?

My favorite wrestling moment by far, and it sticks with me to this day is when Kayla Miracle didn't make weight at semi state, and went on to cut her pony tail off and went out and competed like a warrior! That was the best, and most purest moment for me ever! She made every one of the wrestlers take notice to "what ever it takes"

LITERALLY a weight cut :) !  Good to see Kayla at ISWA Folkstyle State this weekend.  Proud of all she has accomplished and excited for what her future still holds!

First state finals match I ever watched.  1992 at Market Square Arena, we were sitting in the first 10 rows in the center of the mat.  By the time the intro's were over I was so pumped up I almost couldn't sit.  The 103 lb match was Mishawaka vs. Cathedral (I think).  Cathedral was leading with 30 seconds to go, and like I was taught, still taking shots and being aggressive until the end.  Mishawaka caught him and threw him to his back.  When the whistle blew he had won in an unlikely upset.  He sprang to his feet and threw his headgear off in one giant motion.  He ran around the circle swinging his arms wildly, sweat flying in every direction under the spotlight.  He jumped into Al Smith's arms and they hugged.  I had seen Coach Smith exert maximum effort to get out of the bleachers on many Saturdays, but in that moment he caught his athlete as if his body was brand new.  I will never forget the look of emotion on his face as the referee turned him around with his hand raised, the flashing camera bulbs, and the motion he made when he pointed to his family in the stands.  I was IMMEDIATELY committed to finding that moment for myself and making the trip to state every year to witness all the incredible moments like that one that seemed to replay over-and-over that night.  Here's to the greatest sport on the planet!

Cathedral's Jason Terry won by fall over Devon Nelson of Mishawaka for the State Title at 103 in 1992.  Do you have it backward or did I misread it?

Cathedral's Jason Terry won by fall over Devon Nelson of Mishawaka for the State Title at 103 in 1992. Do you have it backward or did I misread it?

. It was 1991 and Nelson won over Terry. Pretty much sealed the deal for Mishawaka! Awesome match. I remember it like it was yesterday. Edited by Brey

I have a few...

In 2015, during the fiery dual with Penn, we were behind and it looked like we would have to go wrestle for 3rd/4th for the second straight year, but our "murderer's row" entered and just rallied off win after win that was exclamated by Jordan Napier's spladle. It was truly a memory that will stick with me forever.

Last season, I watched Brett Johnson wrestle Trent Pruitt at the Capital City Classic, and he was slammed and unconscious for a slight moment (the kid went limp), and then he proceeded to get up and wrestled like a man possessed dominating Pruitt 9-2. That was special to me watching a guy I looked up to continuously fight and wear people down. It's like when you wound him up, he would keep going.

Lastly, this past year watching Tristen Tonte and Noah Warren do the traditional dive in the circle before the state finals matches got underway was a huge moment to see. When the Tonte family left for Warren Central, a lot of outsiders had a lot of negatives things to say, but that moment for me was a lasting image. Although, Tristen was in a different uniform, he was still Perry Meridian's blood. Even after Noah's finals loss, the entire Perry Meridian section stayed to watch Tristen's last match, and it was a great sight seeing everyone cheer on Mac Daddy and Sunshine. Much love and respect to the Tonte and Warren families.

. It was 1991 and Nelson won over Terry. Pretty much sealed the deal for Mishawaka! Awesome match. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Then you should remember that it was in the quarterfinals (I believe) because Eric Early pinned Nelson in the finals in 1991.

For me, it was the 1992 dual between MD and Lawrence North at the old Indiana's Best.  Lawrence North was the host and we got them right off the bat.  They were ranked #1 in the state and top 20 in the country.  They had beaten us the year before 27-21.  The dual featured 3 ties and 2 of LN's 4 state champs were beaten that day.  Scott Wilkey knocked off Derek Robinson at 189 to ice the dual and MD won by the exact score we lost by the year before, 27-21.  The win also happened to be Coach Goebel's 200th of his career.

My favorite moment is what my avatar image is. The day David Taylor got STUCK by Bubba Jenkins in the finals. The reason this is my favorite wrestling moment is because how rudely Bubba was ousted by Cael and the incoming Taylor. He got his revenge back on the wrestler who took his spot and the coach who didn't believe in him. Poetic justice at its finest :) 

Mine would have to be the Nick Lee and Chad Red finals match. Two warriors going at it. The crowd was electric the building was as loud as ever and what a match. Chads final match and what was at stake against the machine like Lee. I'll never forget it.

This one might seem strange as it isn't a match but a moment....

My fondest memory is attending my very first IHSAA state finals in 2015 and walking out of the ramp from the concourse to the seats and seeing my sons name in huge/bold letters on the gigantic video board with the trackwrestling format with record and school in green/red letters!

The reason this sticks out? When he first started, which was about the time of the onset of the smartphone era, I remember how frustrating/stress inducing it was to pull up track to find a bracket or opponent profile and having the interweb connection cut out or having it refresh for seemingly hours before popping up, sometimes almost missing bouts etc. Also trying to zoom that thing in to be able to read it was arduous. Other times there were events in outlying areas where the interwebs weren't used at all and you would have to go out into the hallway hourly to look at the hand printed bracket/results as the workers printed and updated them manually and taped them up.

So with it being my first Finals, not knowing what to expect and to see a huge video board with "Kory Cavanaugh Mat 1" on it for the entire warmup/parade etc it was just something I couldn't take my eyes off. It just hit home that all those trips to various outposts and the frozen updates/hard to read brackets etc had paid off and the feeling of pride was overwhelming.

I still have that picture on my computer.

yip  that '91 103 was epic......    there are solo  many,  but mine is in '91 watching my best friend after winning 4 sec, 4 reg, 4 conf, and 4 of every other tournament we were in, finally making in to MSA and making the walk,,   a close second was when my little brother snapped him forearm in half at Lowell,  i almost tackled the ref to stop the match,   sounded like someone shot a 12 gauge in the gym.  

• 3 weeks later...

One of my most recent favorite wrestling moments happened at the Big Ten Championships.  We were sitting right behind Vincenzo Joseph's father.  After Vincenzo lost to Imar he sat down with his dad.  His dad immediately asked,"How are you doing?"  Vincenzo said,"I'm fine."  Dad asked again,"How are you doing?"  Vincenzo said,"I'm alright dad.  I've got about a week and a half to figure it out.  I'll figure it out."

My son was sitting next to me watching this exchange.  When Vincenzo pulled it off I looked at my son and said, "Do you remember that conversation Vincenzo and his dad had after losing at the Big 10's?  My son said, "Yeah, that's pretty awesome."

My favorite was watching my team celebrate out team mate getting tech falled and not pinned..that slammed the door on Yorktown beating us for the Semi state title...we were handsomely rewarded Mater Dei first round @ team state where we were defeated worse than any team in history..Mind you our team was pretty good with 5 state qualifiers and 10 SsQ..we lost 66-3 with out only win coming from Terrell coatie who beat the state runner up Conkling..that MD team was LOADED

Not my favorite moment ever but one that has stuck with me, is State Championship match between Sophomore's Jason Tristes and Devon Jackson wrestled to a 0-0 tie at the end of regulation. Best and Most exciting 0-0 match ever.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.