IHSWCA Survey

Y2CJ41

91 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favor of moving from 4 to 6 duals in a season for a full schedule?

• Yes
    • No
    • No preference
  2. 2. Would you be in favor of allowing the alt uniform of compression shirts and fight shorts for competition?

• Yes
    • No
    • No preference
  3. 3. Would you be in favor of true third place finish for Semi-State to fall in line with Sectionals?

• Yes
    • No
    • No preference
  4. 4. Would you support a classed team state sanctioned by the IHSAA?

• Yes
    • No
    • No preference
  5. 5. Would you be in favor of randomly drawing the start weight for the State Finals?

• Yes
    • No
    • No preference
  6. 6. Would you be in favor of keeping tourney scoring uniform and allow advancement and bonus points friday night of State?

• Yes
    • No
    • No preference
  7. 7. Would you be in favor of using a video challenge system at the State Finals?

• Yes
    • No
    • No preference

Thoughts on the questions?

1. Would you be in favor of moving from 4 to 6 duals in a season for a full schedule? 
I'm not for or against this
2. Would you be in favor of allowing the alt uniform of compression shirts and fight shorts for competition? 
I'm not for or against this, this will happen no matter what the coaches vote
3. Would you be in favor of true third place finish for Semi-State to fall in line with Sectionals? 
Yes, but it won't happen
4. Would you support a classed team state sanctioned by the IHSAA? 
Yes, only if it's not during the individual series
5. Would you be in favor of randomly drawing the start weight for the State Finals? 
Don't really care, but it won't happen
6. Would you be in favor of keeping tourney scoring uniform and allow advancement and bonus points friday night of State? 
Yes, hopefully it gets fixed
7. Would you be in favor of using a video challenge system at the State Finals? 
It won't happen

I will keep saying this as long I can, if we want to reduce matches we need to attack the two-day events.

1. Would you be in favor of moving from 4 to 6 duals in a season for a full schedule? 

Would this change the total point allotment? If so, then yes... If not, then no...
2. Would you be in favor of allowing the alt uniform of compression shirts and fight shorts for competition? 
Don't care...So sure
3. Would you be in favor of true third place finish for Semi-State to fall in line with Sectionals? 
Yes
4. Would you support a classed team state sanctioned by the IHSAA? 
Sure, why not...
5. Would you be in favor of randomly drawing the start weight for the State Finals? 
Yes
6. Would you be in favor of keeping tourney scoring uniform and allow advancement and bonus points friday night of State? 
Yes
7. Would you be in favor of using a video challenge system at the State Finals?
No

Just curious, what's some of the rationale behind not wanting to go to compression gear?

Some I've heard or "surmised": tradition, too much association with MMA when it's youth competition, don't want to cave to wimpy kids that don't want to wear a singlet

Some I've heard or "surmised": tradition, too much association with MMA when it's youth competition, don't want to cave to wimpy kids that don't want to wear a singlet

Thanks. I figured "tradition" and "no wimps" was part of it, but the MMA aspect for youth I wasn't familiar with. I guess I saw the MMA as a positive (it's on TV and wrestlers and wrestling skills are discussed frequently) but I certainly could see where it wouldn't be perceived that way by some parents.

Maligned, Do you think there is potential for wrestling to have too strong an association with MMA, by going to the compression gear, and thus negatively effecting our ability to recruit new athletes? Or would you dismiss it along with the other 2 examples of others rationale you provided.

Just curious, what's some of the rationale behind not wanting to go to compression gear?

I believe some coaches are also concerned with the possible loose fit of the garment which could lead to wrestlers grabbing the clothing during a match, the shirt riding up on the wrestlers creating a "belly shirt," and the possibility of figures getting wrapped up in the clothing during a match.  I think these are somewhat valid concerns, but they can also easily be addressed by those designing the rules and garment.  It really comes down to ensuring the shirt fits somewhat tight and is also long enough to stay tucked into the shorts.  Then determining if fight shorts are worth trying (possibly clothing grab issue) or if compression pants must be used.

No dog in this fight either way --  For arguments sake: is the singlet really the determining factor on whether a kid is wrestling or not? I'm sure we all have anecdotes of this kid or that kid saying they didn't want to play a sport in a "leotard"......but was he going to wrestle anyway?  

I guess when you start wearing one as a young elementary student, you never really think about it when you are a middle school or high school athlete.  It's just always been part of the sport.

Maybe it's a bigger issue at the youth levels? Would this be worth trying at the elementary and middle school levels first?  Is there actual studies/evidence that this increases participation?

No dog in this fight either way --  For arguments sake: is the singlet really the determining factor on whether a kid is wrestling or not? I'm sure we all have anecdotes of this kid or that kid saying they didn't want to play a sport in a "leotard"......but was he going to wrestle anyway?  

I guess when you start wearing one as a young elementary student, you never really think about it when you are a middle school or high school athlete.  It's just always been part of the sport.

Maybe it's a bigger issue at the youth levels? Would this be worth trying at the elementary and middle school levels first?  Is there actual studies/evidence that this increases participation?

I think at the youth level it would help tremendously. At the same time like you said if the kid says he won't wrestle because of the singlet, if you go to another uniform option he will likely come up with another excuse.

More than that though I think it will help wrestling's image.

I think at the youth level it would help tremendously. At the same time like you said if the kid says he won't wrestle because of the singlet, if you go to another uniform option he will likely come up with another excuse.

More than that though I think it will help wrestling's image.

I agree 100% with the image aspect.

The singlet has associations, that are not exactly conducive to recruitment of youth and middle school aged boys. Ever looked up singlets on Ebay?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.