BlueChipper Weekly Question

I ask a lot of these it seems like, so I'll try to keep it to a minimum, but I am HIGHLY curious to gain insight on the New Castle wrestling program. They have three of the six (should be seven) kids listed on the IHSAA website for 200+ victories. What was this program like from 1996 to 2003? What were Keith Garrard (1996), Matt Jaggers, and Mac Taylor (2003) like?

I ask a lot of these it seems like, so I'll try to keep it to a minimum, but I am HIGHLY curious to gain insight on the New Castle wrestling program. They have three of the six (should be seven) kids listed on the IHSAA website for 200+ victories. What was this program like from 1996 to 2003? What were Keith Garrard (1996), Matt Jaggers, and Mac Taylor (2003) like?

They would have probably had another if Derrick Crousore would have stayed in New Castle. His dad took the High School principal job in Warsaw between Derricks 8th & 9th grade years. He had what was the Warsaw record wins of 164 until this year. We just didn't wrestle as many matches as New Castle did. I believe Derrick was a 4 time state qualifier/placer. I'm sure his brothers, who went to Wabash College are probably on that list.

I was on NC and had the privilege to wrestle on a pretty solid team with Keith and Matt was and still one of my good friends...Keith was a Pinning (125 pins) machine that was top 10 ranked wrestler through out most most of highscool that had some tough breaks..as freshman he drew eventual State champion Snyder the ticket round in a close match iirc..his sophmore year was beat by 1 the ticket round by 48-1 nick strub east central who was one of Keith's rivals that he had a few wars with ..that same year he beat current Southport coach and stud wrestler nick skinner on many occasions, among many other quality wins..his jr year was undefeated or only had one loss going into state...He ended up losing In the qtrs to Runner up Beast Dan Bedoy and keith placed 5th..He was ranked number 1 or 2 in the state his senior.. i seen Keith bump to 171 @team regionals and pin top 10 ranked Arik wolf with ease and beat michael Horton who got 4th that same year 14-3..Wolf went on to get 2nd @215 the following yr.. in the ticket round keith (47-0) was upset by Mitch Todd of Pendleton aka state champion Mason Todd's older brother.. it was so devastating...Keith was the hardest worker we all knew...anybody who knows

Garrard knows he was a killer that had tough luck..he went on to be a All american @Wabash placing 5th..to top it off Keith only wrestled a few yrs in college and iirc didn't even wrestle his Jr yr but came out his senior yr and got 5th..

Matt jaggers was a takedown machine and a very good all around wrestler..hec was a 4x sectional,regional and NCC champion not to mention 3x NC SEMI state champion..4x SQ,3X Placer and runner up to some guy named Angel escobedo...he was smthn like 211-10 in HS with 7 of those losses coming his freshman year was 50+-0 two strait yrs going into the state finals...I seen him tech fall the #8 kid in the ticket round in under 3 minutes in 03 and bumped up to from 125 to 135 and beat 2x Placer stud Brandon Gonzalez from Delta and is aka member here Navygonzo...was a very mean wrestler that was known for snapping kids down so hard it even put Cole Whalen in the hospital during their sectional title match...He was a treat to watch..he lost to John sheets(1,3,3,3 placings) 7-6 his Jr yr @state in the qtrs finishing 55-1 also...he is still one of NC elite former wrestlers..went on to have a successful mma career was King of the cage 145 world champion...Fought former champion TJ dillashaw (the ,The Korean zombie and former king of Pancrase Marlon Sandro in japan..Matt and myself both fought for showtimes EliteXC...we were wrestling and mma training partners aND best friends to this day.

I didn't wrestle with Mac but there are plenty of ppl on here that seen him wrestle and even Coach Nick HULL aka state champion has held Mac in very high regard and many of his peers say as one of the best not to win a title...221-8 career with 6 of his losses coming in @state iirc..221 wins was a national record @one time...placed 4x(6,5,3,3) and was a 4x NCC champion as well..

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

BTW Brendan Campbell had 208 wins so that's 4 of the top 7..a lot of top 3 finishes but no state titles song those 4..Our lone state champion in the Peck era was the HW monster Bubba Dickerson but he passed after his jr year and doesn't have all the wins but is still a legend..

To answer what they were like..they all were very talented wrestlers that fell short of a state title..and as much as ppl can mix opinions about how much nc wrestles, they all wrestled tough scheduless bk then...NC was among the top programs in the state throughout the 90s and early 2000s...they may not have been state champs but they all were creme of the crop during their tenure and you don't win 200+ matches by accident

You mean they didn't break having that many matches......LOL.

nope sure didn't..5 duals every Saturday if not we wrestled in the old north mont holiday duals that was a 2day tournament that had Lawrence north,portage,Warren cental,Carmel,Franklin central,north mont to name a few, who were all good teams..plus the 2day meet @Lawrence central that was the two days following thanksgiving...or the Adam's central

Individual tournament where a lot of us NC guys battled Very tough Bloomington south guys in the finals..was like mini state wrestling under the lights..I loved that tournament..

those guys were great wrestlers,I didn't start til 8th grade and was decent..2x ticket round choke artist..but I got to see many great wrestlers...I would really sucked if I didn't get to see a great example on a daily basis..plus Rex is great coach that has turned a lot of decent and relatively hardly experienced guys into champions in a short time...I wouldn't change it for nothing...In became a young man through his guidance...nc isn't what it once was but if our Feeder program can get up and running right there's some good young gunz that could get us bk to the state one day I sure hope..

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

As for insight on NC as a team..Rex teams have won 35 sectionals,13 regionals, and 6 semi state titles..2x team state runner up

Has coached 87 State qualifiers, 41 placers...1 state champion,4 runner ups and at least 20+ top 5 placers..also Peck is nearing 1000 dual wins which 1st in indiana is 2nd all time in the nation..NC won 106 straight dual meets not losing for nearly 3 years in the early 90s..Also had a few of his team's ranked nationally in the mid 90s...lost to Mater dei in 96' stage championship when NC sent 8 to state (minus returning monster HW state champion who passed away) 6 were placers as well...MD sent 10 that year iirc and NC lost a close meet that could've gone either way had nc didn't lose swing matches in our HW absence...

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.