Scholastic Duals

base

This whole thing is sad. I think this is more of an issue of the Gorillas beating Blue and almost beating Gold last year. Brayden wanted to be on this team because he made alot of good friends. In fact we ask to be on it right after last year well before Brayden was a State champ. Plus Gold want him at 111. Brayden is ready to start moving onto 113 and does not want to cut that much anymore. Gorillas were going to let him be 113. Gear is great, price is good but we had already made our minds up well before this and now it looks like at least one of Indianas state champs will not be there. I don't see how that helps our State.

This event had alot of good kids last year at it from Indiana that were not blue or gold and each had there own great memories. Stop making this about the adults and let the kids do what they want to do wrestle, learn and compete.

Sorry hit edit and deletedo 1st post thought I was double posting.

Edited by Sydokun

I think there is some implication that kids on the Gold/Blue teams aren't having a good experience. My son's experience on the blue team last year was a good one, now he couldn't compare that to the Gorillas team (not having been on one) but he still had a good time. Would we have liked the cost to be down, sure, but it wasn't the bank breaker that Fargo or Cadet/Jr. Duals are.

The kids don't look miserable, but as I've asked before why are kids not caring if they are on the "best" team? Why would they want to sacrifice being on a "national championship" team to be a gorilla?

I know of two state champs that are Gorillas or won't go, amongst a few other top kids.

What poor prior experience did those wrestlers have with another Indiana team or its coaches that has caused them to completely write off being on any team but yours?

Edited by MattM

What poor prior experience did those wrestlers have with the Indiana team or its coaches that was so bad that it has caused them to completely write off being on any team but yours?

One wants to go up a weight as stated above.

One really only goes because of the hanging out with his teammates, cool gear, and the awesome coaches.

Wrestling is a tough sport, mentally and physically.  If the majority of the kids prefer hanging with their friends, getting cool gear, not cutting weight, etc.  over all the studs being on one team, I think you have to listen to them.

I just don't like the bashing of people or organizations who are trying to better Indiana wrestling - even if viewpoints are different.

My son Mason has been on Indiana Gold team the last 2 years and will be on it again this year.  The tournament has been great , the coaches have been great no complaints here at all.  It's been a great experience....  I also believe the best that Indiana can put on the mat should be on one team, and then have as many IN. teams as you want.  

Is this why it is so hard for Team Indiana to get the upper kids when they go to the National tournaments also. Does "Team Gorilla" have secret teams going to events we don't know about. This is just silly! So what if we don't have the best kids on one team. I thought it was about getting as many kids wrestling over the summer. If Indiana was a 3 class state, most of these kids would be qualified to be on the gold or blue team!

I hear AAU is looking for someone to start up a tournament before Florida, which would be around this time. At least they were 2 years ago and I don't see any that have started since that time.

Is this why it is so hard for Team Indiana to get the upper kids when they go to the National tournaments also. Does "Team Gorilla" have secret teams going to events we don't know about. This is just silly! So what if we don't have the best kids on one team. I thought it was about getting as many kids wrestling over the summer. If Indiana was a 3 class state, most of these kids would be qualified to be on the gold or blue team!

I hear AAU is looking for someone to start up a tournament before Florida, which would be around this time. At least they were 2 years ago and I don't see any that have started since that time.

Yea you heard that too?

Can someone post the price differences???  I am curious to how much of a difference there really is between Team Indiana and Team Gorilla.  Also, what are the different "perks" or extras of the teams.   

$200 for IHSWCA Team

Includes Everything:

CK Fight Shorts

CKFight Shirt

Socks

CK Bag

CK Long Sleeve Warmup

2 nights at the Holiday Inn Express

Meals: 2 dinner, 2 Breakfast, Water and fruits at tourney

Transportation to and from hotel to wabash

The only thing they have to do themselves is get to Wabash College

A reasonable person can do the math in their heads and come to a conclusion that $200 is a really cheap cost here. 

The IHSWCA doesn't make any profit from this tournament. 

Edited by Coach Seltzer

Over the past four years the price has dropped by at least $100 and the gear quality has also gone up. One year the price dropped between the state finals and when the event took place even.

I'm not exactly sure why...but I have a theory or two.

The Gorilla price is...or would have been $150 for:

Entry

Hotel

Awesome 3-time Gear Singlet with a cool Gorilla on it

Shorts

Triblend shirt

Pull-over

Super duper comfortable sweats

And probably a team meal

I figured the IHSWCA price included water guns after last year, but I guess not.

Seems like a fair bit of 'petty bickering' going on here... Don't want to bring up 'classing here' but it seems this is an area where more opportunities might be available if we had state champs from multiple classes.

My question is this- If you have a 'good wrestler' (say a SSQ or comparable) how do they get on some dual teams? 

I agree that the 'elite kids' can represent IN as a state and I'm fine with that.  But if we are talking about growing the sport and getting kids more matches I am wondering about the kid who is not a State Champ/Placer.  This sort of dual format seems like a better way to get them matches than individual tournaments.

Maybe this is NOT the forum for this...

Question--Is this basically a gear manufacturer issue? Gorilla=3xGear....IHSCWA=Brute/CK/Rudis whatever? And the underlying issue that a coach/organization has a contract/"interest" in one brand but gorillas have another and thus all the hubbub about price/coolness/swag factor? Seems to be how I'm reading the entire issue. I struggle to see how we can be subject to a yearly 18 page thread on class wrestling growing the sport, yet we have a high quality tourney in our backyard and we're turning IN kids away from it for whatever reason. Grow the sport or not..SMdangH

Just wondering since i seen it brought up a few times and it seems to be some concern. Who would the Gorillas be pulling from gold or blue? Also note because they are not allowing the Gorilla's who will this tournament lose. Seems to me it would be better to have all the top kids there no matter what team then to not have them there at all.

Edited by Sydokun

My guess its brayton and blake... blake didnt want to cut and brayton only does this to hangout with his teammates so no teammates no Brayton. Blake took the spot on the gold since that is apprently the only way he can wrestle now as any other team with him might get "removed".

not sure if Curtis would have wrestled for em...I know none of our guys were even given anything at State or even approached so yeah....