Mason Parris - from Scout.com

SWINfan

He's talked to Ohio State for wrestling! Do it Mason! Be the next great Buckeye!

I'm only partially serious(man it would be awesome), but just the fact that he has this many current options with another season to go; in TWO different sports, is rather impressive and I'm sure academics will be a big factor as well.

Are wrestling scholarships typical at schools like Ohio State?  Wrestling takes a backseat to football, basketball....heck even baseball...and then you've got the lady's sports also.  

I'm guessing a wrestling scholarship at a major school is a very faint possibility and Mason's going to end up at the best school to offer him a full-ride for football.

Are wrestling scholarships typical at schools like Ohio State? Wrestling takes a backseat to football, basketball....heck even baseball...and then you've got the lady's sports also.

I'm guessing a wrestling scholarship at a major school is a very faint possibility and Mason's going to end up at the best school to offer him a full-ride for football.

Yes, top schools have 9 full scholarships to divide up. Top prospects get full or nearly full rides.

Scholarships in non-revenue sports are often supplemented with other forms of aid,  When I played, DI Baseball was only allowed 11.6 scholarships for the whole team.  I think that is higher now, just not sure how high.  Schools will get a kid as much grant money or academic aid as possible and supplement it with athletic money.  It allows them to spread the scholarship dollars farther.  That doesn't mean that all kids end up getting 100% when all is said and done.

Conversely, DI Football scholarships are full rides or nothing.  They have 85 available to the entire team.  Also note, that if an athlete plays both, he HAS to be put on football scholarship.  It prevents the practices of the old days where allegedly Bear Bryant had 120 guys on scholarship, many on golf or tennis $$.  

It's still too early to know what true football options will be available to him.  Schools talk to and recruit a lot of kids they don't offer.  They offer a lot of kids and those offers are only available as long as their "spot" is not taken by another athlete.  Programs offer WAY more kids than they have actual spots for, so first come first serve is often the norm.  Unless a kid is a  consider a SUPER in which they may hold off kids with offers until they find out if that SUPER wants to come.  That can cause some kids to get left hanging late in the process.

As of now, his only real offer is Ball St.  Cincinnati offered under a different coaching staff, so that offer may remain or disappear.  Not having seen him play football, I can't speak to specifics, but my guess is more offers will follow.  Figuring out how to split his time this summer between wrestling tournaments and football camps may not be easy.  To maximize exposure, I suspect it will be a busy time for the Parris family.   

Just saw interview on FloWrestling with Mason after he won state (there's also some good footage of him practicing at Spatola wrestling) and he mentioned some interesting tidbits

- He plans to wrestle at FloNationals

- He might wrestle some freestyle this summer - interviewer mentioned Fargo and he said Maybe

- He is interested in pursuing Engineering in college

- Academics is very important to him

- Some schools are talking to him about playing 2 sports, he's not sure yet what he will do

- He knows the state and national rankings and he thinks he should be higher  :)

Just saw interview on FloWrestling with Mason after he won state (there's also some good footage of him practicing at Spatola wrestling) and he mentioned some interesting tidbits

- He plans to wrestle at FloNationals

- He might wrestle some freestyle this summer - interviewer mentioned Fargo and he said Maybe

- He is interested in pursuing Engineering in college

- Academics is very important to him

- Some schools are talking to him about playing 2 sports, he's not sure yet what he will do

- He knows the state and national rankings and he thinks he should be higher  

Yeah I made a thread about it a few weeks ago.  If you keep looking through the footage (its actually through Zeb Miller's GOHIO Cast thats linked into Flo) you can find a few good interviews with Ruberg and another with his father.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.