Why hide wrestler lists?

I would say for the very reason you state. They want you to register for their tournament.  If they show their list then you may not choose to go there. If they don't show it you might go ahead and register.  I have never ran a tournament or made that decision but I'm guessing that is why.

You're probably right. I just hate to sign up for a tournament, drive two hours and there not be anyone there. We like to go to tourneys we haven't been to before - so we don't always hit up the ones closest. I think wrestler lists should always be available, instantly.

As a parent of a young heavy weight, I can feel your pain. We have traveled to many matches and no one to wrestle. It would be nice to see the number, it really doesn't matter who it is. The main thing is to get mat time. When you have heavy weight school boys, or cadets in 8th grade and cannot move up to junior, it is really disappointing to the kid when he has no one to wrestle. 

LAtely the numbers are way down for local tournaments as we all know. I have noticed some places are combining cadet and junior divisions . This seems like a no brainer as one way to try to keep these local tournaments alive. Every week you see a handful of kids go home because they have no one to wrestle , which then makes then stop going .

As a parent of a young heavy weight, I can feel your pain. We have traveled to many matches and no one to wrestle. It would be nice to see the number, it really doesn't matter who it is. The main thing is to get mat time. When you have heavy weight school boys, or cadets in 8th grade and cannot move up to junior, it is really disappointing to the kid when he has no one to wrestle. 

It's the chicken before the egg scenario.

What if there is another kid just like yours that is waiting to see if anyone signs up? Then neither of you sign up....

P.S. I don't agree with locking the tournament entry list. If you run a good tournament people will come.

We didn't release ours - we had lots of local teams show up and a couple out of town people called and asked if we had good numbers. We didn't use Iswa and we had 251 kids - last year with Iswa we had 279 kids. This year our tourney was held the same day as middle school conference so we missed out on lots of kids there and the fresh soph state was same day too.

I will be in favor of releasing the matrix next year and weight classes not block weights. Gotta talk to head coach on those - We are going to add Jr division as well -

It was a great turn out and fundraiser for our program - the local teams really came out in force -

What if there is another kid just like yours that is waiting to see if anyone signs up? Then neither of you sign up....

This is indeed the rub.  I like it when the list is there and I see some good opponents/numbers in my son's weight.  But, lots of times people are waiting to sign up until the last minute.  If everyone does this nobody knows who's coming even IF the list is visible.

We choose our local tournaments based on location (specifically we choose one that we can weigh-in the day of and get to within an hour to hour and a half).  Then if we are traveling and getting a hotel we go to big tournaments (ISWA State, Tournament of Champions, Cliff Keen Nationals etc....) where we know there will be good numbers.

The other thing I have done is to look back in trackwrestling to previous years and see what the numbers look like.  If it seems to be growing over the pasty 2 years I'll take a shot at it.

This is indeed the rub.  I like it when the list is there and I see some good opponents/numbers in my son's weight.  But, lots of times people are waiting to sign up until the last minute.  If everyone does this nobody knows who's coming even IF the list is visible.

We choose our local tournaments based on location (specifically we choose one that we can weigh-in the day of and get to within an hour to hour and a half).  Then if we are traveling and getting a hotel we go to big tournaments (ISWA State, Tournament of Champions, Cliff Keen Nationals etc....) where we know there will be good numbers.

The other thing I have done is to look back in trackwrestling to previous years and see what the numbers look like.  If it seems to be growing over the pasty 2 years I'll take a shot at it.

Good suggestion on the previous years.

P.S. I don't agree with locking the tournament entry list. If you run a good tournament people will come.

I can see that point as well, personally we have never looked to see who was wrestling, signed him up, and always hoped for a match or two. I would say over the last year or so there have been more big kids wrestling, so I would say it is getting better. But it is still frustrating to drive a couple of hours for nothing. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.