Craig Macke

I see his name often in conversation on the forums, I see him on the IHSAA website records, and I've heard stories from fellow wrestlers who grew up watching him and coaches who witnessed his performances. To my understanding, he was a 4x medalist (3, 2, 3, 3?), and many hail him as one of the best to never win state. What was he like in terms of style and attitude?

He was a a very good technical wrestler from all places..You wouldn't look at him and see a physical specimen but on the mat he was funky and could scramble very well...Always rocked the MD tights too lol...was top notch all 4 yrs and imho one of the best to never win it all...

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Macke wasn't physically imposing.  Appeared to have decent but not overwhelming strength.  Speed was perhaps below average for a state champion contender.  Solid but not spectacular on his feet.  His talent was mat wrestling.  He was a beast on top.  Choosing bottom against him was a mistake.  He was great at tuns and tilts and riding out state caliber opponents for a whole period.  He was definitely someone that maximized his talent.

Macke's (senior year) notable losses include Dustin Schlatter (St. Paris Graham Ohio) when Schlatter  (sophomore) was viewed as the next big thing (which he would become).  I think the score was 10-6 and apparently Macke was in position to win late.  Then also at state against Angel in the semis.  Forget the score (5-2?) but it was an example of an over matched wrestler (Macke) wrestling a great tactical match to give himself a chance against a superior opponent.  Angel and his superior speed and neutral wrestling were something Macke could never handle.

Macke wasn't physically imposing.  Appeared to have decent but not overwhelming strength.  Speed was perhaps below average for a state champion contender.  Solid but not spectacular on his feet.  His talent was mat wrestling.  He was a beast on top.  Choosing bottom against him was a mistake.  He was great at tuns and tilts and riding out state caliber opponents for a whole period.  He was definitely someone that maximized his talent.

Macke's (senior year) notable losses include Dustin Schlatter (St. Paris Graham Ohio) when Schlatter  (sophomore) was viewed as the next big thing (which he would become).  I think the score was 10-6 and apparently Macke was in position to win late.  Then also at state against Angel in the semis.  Forget the score (5-2?) but it was an example of an over matched wrestler (Macke) wrestling a great tactical match to give himself a chance against a superior opponent.  Angel and his superior speed and neutral wrestling were something Macke could never handle.

Macke was nearly tech falled when they wrestled before that iirc..that shows how great he was at making adjustments..His match with Jason levell in the qtrs was a doozy as well...

He was a a very good technical wrestler from all places..You wouldn't look at him and see a physical specimen but on the mat he was funky and could scramble very well...Always rocked the MD tights too lol...was top notch all 4 yrs and imho one of the best to never win it all...

I have a feeling back then they didn't get the option if they wanted to rock the tights or not lol

Macke was nearly tech falled when they wrestled before that iirc..that shows how great he was at making adjustments..His match with Jason levell in the qtrs was a doozy as well...

Macke did the same thing with Aaron Clark when they were at 103 in 2001. Got dominated their first couple matches, had a close one at individual state, then upset the undefeated state champ the following weekend at team state. Many thought Clark was untouchable at 103, as he had pretty much pinned his way through the entire year, and would have had a decent chance at winning senior nationals if he would have went.

He lost 20-8 at Team State, which followed the Individual State Tournament, right?

Here is a quick rundown:

2000 - Frosh 4th 

Lost to Gerardo Quiroz, Goshen (runner up to John Sheets) in Semis 6-2

Lost to Thadeus Douglas, Columbus North in consolation 12-2

2001 - Soph 2nd

Def Nick Hartman, Lawrence North (50-1) by Fall.  Also, beat him at Team State 17-3

Lost to Aaron Clark, Franklin (48-0) 4-3.  Beat Clark at Team State the next week 10-9 (as previously mentioned)

2002 - Jr 2nd

Def Nic May, Peru (57-0) in Semis 7-5

Lost to Angel Escobedo 13-2

2003 - Sr 3rd

Lost to Angel Escobedo in Semis 5-2

Def Paul Reed, Portage (40-8) in consolation

On a separate note, I recently looked back at a lot of the Team and Individual State results in the '90s and saw several instances of guys that lost in Individual State turn around and win at Team State.  Macke beating Clark is just one example.  Just one reason why I wish Team State as it was then, was still around now.  That's not a knock on what we have now by any means.  Hell, I'd be good with both especially since the current format is classed.  

On a separate note, I recently looked back at a lot of the Team and Individual State results in the '90s and saw several instances of guys that lost in Individual State turn around and win at Team State.  Macke beating Clark is just one example.  Just one reason why I wish Team State as it was then, was still around now.  That's not a knock on what we have now by any means.  Hell, I'd be good with both especially since the current format is classed.  

Jason Tabor-Portage over Dan Jankowski-EMD under the lights, 8-6, then Jankowski over Tabor, 13-11 in overtime, in the team state championship dual is one that stands out to me.

Here is a quick rundown:

2000 - Frosh 4th 

Lost to Gerardo Quiroz, Goshen (runner up to John Sheets) in Semis 6-2

Lost to Thadeus Douglas, Columbus North in consolation 12-2

Remember this kid being pretty big for a 103lber.

I think he perfers to be call a "little person"

I just call him a butt kicker.   Thaddeus is still helping out with wrestling as part of Floyd Centrals youth program staff.  He's got a few boys in the program, so we will see if they can help the Highlander machine in the next coming years.  

Edited by MattM

I stand corrected.

I'm certainly no expert, but I have a couple of little individuals in my extended family. "Little person" is the preferred term if there is reason to describe the person's stature, but "dwarfism" is in fact the general medical term for any number of medical conditions whose expression results in the person being 4'10" or under (for both proportional or disproportional individuals).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.