Indiana's Best Ever...

bluechipper

Might want to pick the mic back up...

The original post stated based on high school accomplishments only.

This is selecting the best - their record in college, especially as a freshman is the ultimate criteria and measurement on their high school career

Angel - 4x State Champ, 223-1, Fila Workd Team member, Asics AA, 2005 High School AA

College - NCAA 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th - 137 career wins

Jason Tsistis - 4x Indiana State Champ, beat several State champs along way , world team qualifier, beat some NCAA studs as a senior in high school including NCAA champ Caldwell - number 2 overall recruit ranking

NCAA champ, 3rd,

Howe - 2nd, 1st, 1st, 192-1 Fargo Champ #1 recruit

NCAA - 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd three time Big Ten champ

Palmer - IHSAA 2,1,1,1 hurt in college - not sure which year

AAU runner-up and Champ

Drop !

Edited by Powerline

I would put Blake's 4 titles up against anyones. I feel he was in some absolute meat grinder weight classes.

3 of his 4 finals matches were instant classics..Hobbs,Newport and Dolly (one of the best to never win it) and him surviving vs Brownlee in the semis was EPIC

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

One argument for Red, is the win against Nick Lee. 

One argument against Red is the win against Lee.  Is the best Indiana high school wrestler ever really just one point better then the runner up his senior year?

Seriously? How many of the others mentioned had to beat another top 5 guy in the finals?

Obviously others didn't have the chance.  The point I'm making is the Lee match isn't a great reason to say Red is the best ever when he barely beat another Indiana wrestler.  That argument only works if one determines Lee is the second best ever.

Edited by Alduflux

Obviously others didn't have the chance.  The point I'm making is the Lee match isn't a great reason to say Red is the best ever when he barely beat another Indiana wrestler.  That argument only works if one determines Lee is the second best ever.

Well considering how Red was the best in the country at the time and Lee was ranked nationally and is now the best in the country at his weight class.  I understand where you are coming from.  We all want to think of the best wrestler ever dominating in tech fall or pinning fashion, but I think you aren't taking into consideration just how good Nick Lee is.  Very special talent.  Reece did not pin Howe in the finals, but we both know how great each one of them were.

Edited by leaveitonthemat

Obviously others didn't have the chance. The point I'm making is the Lee match isn't a great reason to say Red is the best ever when he barely beat another Indiana wrestler. That argument only works if one determines Lee is the second best ever.

Someone take his keyboard!!!

My vote is still Angel though.

It's very difficult to compare wrestlers from different eras, but David Palmer was at least as dominant in his time as those mentioned are dominant now, and so was Bloomington South's Randy May.

Edited by Mike Roe

I would put Blake's 4 titles up against anyones. I feel he was in some absolute meat grinder weight classes.

Is it an additional feather in his cap that his 4 weight classes spanned 130 to 171?  I think he went 130, 145, 171 & 171.  Most to my recollection advanced one weight class at a time or closer than SKIPPING 2 classes after his frosh and soph years. 

What have other 3/4x'ers done in that regard?

Is it an additional feather in his cap that his 4 weight classes spanned 130 to 171?  I think he went 130, 145, 171 & 171.  Most to my recollection advanced one weight class at a time or closer than SKIPPING 2 classes after his frosh and soph years. 

What have other 3/4x'ers done in that regard?

He tech falled me @ team state..my dad told me he would give me 200 if I got a takedown....I ended up owing him 2 grand

Obviously others didn't have the chance. The point I'm making is the Lee match isn't a great reason to say Red is the best ever when he barely beat another Indiana wrestler. That argument only works if one determines Lee is the second best ever.

Right, how many times do you see a state finals match include the #1 ranked and I believe nick was #5 if I'm not mistaken in the COUNTRY. Also red won flo, super 32, whose number 1. But you're right, it's terrible for a 1 point match against another Indiana kid who is going to the best wrestling college in the country currently.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.