Best 1xer

bluechipper

Breyden Bailey also comes to mind of recent champs. 1x champ, 3x 3rd, Super 32 placer. Wes Bernard also. 1x champ, 2x Fargo AA, 3x placer. For older guys out there ahead of my time, would you throw Nick Walpole in the mix?

Edited by bluechipper

Ummmm no one here mentioning Devon Jackson from Yorktown? This is the kid who unfortunately ran into Jason Tsirtsis and Ethan Raley in the finals two years in a row. I do remember it being quite awesome when Devon took Tsirtsis to overtime in the finals that year! If it weren't for Nick Lee (easy #1 here), Jackson would easily be my pick as best 1xer. My cousin Garrett Pepple would get thrown into the convo as well ;)

David McCubbins, Monrovia, has to be in the discussion.  Look up his freestlye/greco accomplishments.  Junior college champ as well.

McCubbins was a double Jr National Champ, a Jr World Team member, one of the early resident Greco athletes at the Olympic Training Center. He's also a close personal friend with Y2.

Breyden Bailey also comes to mind of recent champs. 1x champ, 3x 3rd, Super 32 placer. Wes Bernard also. 1x champ, 2x Fargo AA, 3x placer. For older guys out there ahead of my time, would you throw Nick Walpole in the mix?

Walpole was a 1x champ, 2x 3rd, and a SQ his freshman year.

His loss in the semi-finals his soph. year was to Andre Hernandez (173-4, 2X Champ, D1 AA)  

His loss also in the semi-finals his Sr. year was to Andrew Howe in OT (192-1 3x champ, D1champ, 4 time D1 AA).

Nick also won a D2 national championship at U of I after wrestling at IU for a few years before that.

He was pretty tough. I would put him in the mix.  He never wrestled much off season though as he was a big baseball guy so he doesn't have all the freestyle accolades as most guys.

Edited by Falcon06

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.