Freshman/sophomore state

ontherise219

Some decently big brackets and potential for some good match ups.

But I did possibly notice one thing. If I'm looking at this right, people from the same qualifier are meeting first round and some of (or all) the high placers from the qualifier didn't get seeded in the bracket based on their placement at that event. From a quick glance, I'm noticing a few high qualifier placers that will get a SQ or SSQ in the early rounds. I get you eventually have to face everyone, but I'm wondering what's the point of the qualifier if placing high in it didn't give you some type of advantage at the state meet and people from the same qualifier are seeing each other again first round. I would have thought the track program could have easily populated the top 2 or 3 qualifiers from each area into the bracket as the 3rd criteria after SQ and SSQ and mix the two qualifiers.

Maybe next year.

Edited by MattM

At 106 there where only 5 ssq there

Could a few be at 113. Even with the 4lb allowance, with two weeks of eating, I'd guess a few guys moved up a weight class for this event. Edited by MattM

Good stuff. Much better then your typical local tournament. Great opportunity for these younger guys to get back on the horse. I can see this thing getting bigger as the years go by. Kids are having fun. Lots of kids from different schools hanging with each other. Big thanks to Mark, Southport, and the other organizers.

Edited by Mattyb

@170 twoman children Carson vs Allred in the qtrs...Had Finals written all over it, but this is wrestling and never can guess what's gonna happen...besides that crazy draw, the tournament running smooth and there's quality wrestling..fun day..

At least this tournament has wrestlebacks :)

It looked like a good one between Allred and Carson

Was a War..was 1-1 with 30 seconds left silas got in deep on a sweet shot by the boudry, went out the bk triz tried going funk and was caught on his back with Silas getting the 6-1 win as time ran out..Silas is one hell of a wrestler and class act..I look forward to watching these 2 grow and become champions..Good win For a ever growing stud and shenandoah Squad..Triz will keep his head up and get better

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Some decently big brackets and potential for some good match ups.

But I did possibly notice one thing. If I'm looking at this right, people from the same qualifier are meeting first round and some of (or all) the high placers from the qualifier didn't get seeded in the bracket based on their placement at that event. From a quick glance, I'm noticing a few high qualifier placers that will get a SQ or SSQ in the early rounds. I get you eventually have to face everyone, but I'm wondering what's the point of the qualifier if placing high in it didn't give you some type of advantage at the state meet and people from the same qualifier are seeing each other again first round. I would have thought the track program could have easily populated the top 2 or 3 qualifiers from each area into the bracket as the 3rd criteria after SQ and SSQ and mix the two qualifiers.

Maybe next year.

I think one thing that complicated it was the fact that some of the placers from the qualifiers did not come. So some of the lower seeded kids are missing, and this probably caused some of the issues. I know my son placed second at Ft. Wayne, and he wrestled the 4th place kid from there in his first match. I agree it would have been nice for them to see kids from the other qualifier in the first matches. 

Really Well run Tournament today with some good quality kids. Some great matches today. Hats off to Southport staff. Mat side weigh-ins were great, started on time and we wrestled up to Semi's and left the Gym by 3:30. Looking forward to tomorrow, should be some good Semi Matches.....I can see this tournament getting bigger every year, Pretty Cool Awards for placers also

T. Carson has had some rough draws lately but shows how tough he is by always showing up to wrestle and not giving up! He will keep putting time in and I would not be shocked to see him make a deep run next year. #thecounty

Classy post...I could watch Carson vs allred every weekend lol...He will be on a mission tomorrow to get bk to true 2nd...Silas pressure and low level attacksingles were superb and the funky scrambles were good stuff..it had a lot of action for a match that was 1-1 in the last minute..hopefully these 2 meet@ bankers life next yr for another slug fest

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.